The Student Room Group

UK prospective Medical Student wanting to study at Groningen

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello!
I am studying the required homework that University of Groningen has sent us. Along with the information about autoimmune diseases, we were told to find 2 articles and bring them on the selection day. However, no further information are given about them. What about their theme? Or their length? And how are they going to use them?
Does anybody know?

Also, is anybody aware if the portfolio should be filled on the computer?
Thanks in advance!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Has anyone received a conditional offer?

@Ninaal haha I was going to ask that exact same question as well. Instructions arent clear enough on it :/
Reply 42
Original post by :D'
Has anyone received a conditional offer?

@Ninaal haha I was going to ask that exact same question as well. Instructions arent clear enough on it :/

I received one as well.
Glad I am not the only one with this kind of questions.:smile:
Prospective students for Groningen University Medical school, how are you guys finding the Huiswerk (Homework)

A lot to take in, isn't it?
Reply 44
Original post by Jewels_padmore
Prospective students for Groningen University Medical school, how are you guys finding the Huiswerk (Homework)

A lot to take in, isn't it?

Indeed it is a lot! And the whole process is so vague.
Original post by Ninaal
Indeed it is a lot! And the whole process is so vague.

I am a very busy person so I am trying to squeeze in as much time to learn this as much as I can. I was wondering about those articles myself. Do we just need any article at all in the public media or does it have to be in a Scientific journal like 'Nature'....

If its any public media, may be The Guardian health has some interesting stories
Original post by Ninaal
Hello!
I am studying the required homework that University of Groningen has sent us. Along with the information about autoimmune diseases, we were told to find 2 articles and bring them on the selection day. However, no further information are given about them. What about their theme? Or their length? And how are they going to use them?
Does anybody know?

Also, is anybody aware if the portfolio should be filled on the computer?
Thanks in advance!

what homework? I thought the homework was to read was to read the three articles. Is there any other homework?
Reply 47
I am a very busy person so I am trying to squeeze in as much time to learn this as much as I can. I was wondering about those articles myself. Do we just need any article at all in the public media or does it have to be in a Scientific journal like 'Nature'....

If its any public media, may be The Guardian health has some interesting stories

I understand. The number of all the molecules stated on the hw are rediculous.

I think it has to be an article for the general public without specific things about medicine. I believe The Guardian health would be ok. Maybe BMJ, NHS etc.
Reply 48
what homework? I thought the homework was to read was to read the three articles. Is there any other homework?

The homework about the autoimmune diseases and sjogren syndrome. They are about 40 pages.
Original post by Ninaal
The homework about the autoimmune diseases and sjogren syndrome. They are about 40 pages.

46 and I am lingering on 16... seen enough cytokines to make my blood boil
Reply 50
46 and I am lingering on 16... seen enough cytokines to make my blood boil

Haha same here. Just finished them and I am pretty sure I don't remember a single name.
(edited 9 years ago)
410 places for over 1000 applicants. Feeling the nerves already
1 in 3 chances. But why is everything so vague. Its quite strange
Reply 52
410 places for over 1000 applicants. Feeling the nerves already
1 in 3 chances. But why is everything so vague. Its quite strange

Yup very vague indeed. Making things quite difficult tbh. And as an international applicant chances already slim....

Got any idea yet what non cognitive is actually about. Don't have a clue what to do with the articles lol. And how deep do u think cognitive will go in terns of detail. Insturction say don't cram things like names and abbreviations, only mechanisms and basic understanding. But it seem hard only memorising that and not all the other stuff as its part of it if u know what I mean. And any idea how many questions its going to be?
To be honest I am quite confused. I am not sure how to learn the cognitive tests. I will just try and cram up everything because I am not really sure how else to read it.

I think its best you research thoroughly on the article that you print out. I haven't even gotten around to printing one because I am simply not sure whether to get a professional paper like Nature or an ordinary one like ''THE GUARDIAN HEALTH''

I guess the lack of clarity is the test. We are supposed to figure it out
I think as an EU student, its much slimmer because International students at least pay the full tuition of 36000 euros and so there is an incentive for the University to admit them

I think many Dutch students will prefer to do the course in their language anyway. Also, a person with Dutch VWO 8 will get in straight away. But if there are a 1000 applicants, that is scary. I am hoping to get through the first cognitive and non cognitive tests.
Reply 55
I think as an EU student, its much slimmer because International students at least pay the full tuition of 36000 euros and so there is an incentive for the University to admit them

I think many Dutch students will prefer to do the course in their language anyway. Also, a person with Dutch VWO 8 will get in straight away. But if there are a 1000 applicants, that is scary. I am hoping to get through the first cognitive and non cognitive tests.

Wait so the 410 places is only for english version of the course? Im also an EU student (british). If so then hopefully increases our chances as like u the dtuch applicant would more likely apply for the dutch course.
Reply 56
To be honest I am quite confused. I am not sure how to learn the cognitive tests. I will just try and cram up everything because I am not really sure how else to read it.

I think its best you research thoroughly on the article that you print out. I haven't even gotten around to printing one because I am simply not sure whether to get a professional paper like Nature or an ordinary one like ''THE GUARDIAN HEALTH''

I guess the lack of clarity is the test. We are supposed to figure it out

lol got the exact same dilemma as you over the article issue. Dont know which one to choose.
Btw in the selection portfolio on part c3, i am stating that i recieved the admissibility letter but on D i dont understand how to fill it. I dont get the difference between VWO 5 final mark and exam final mark. Besides Ive not even sat the final exam for equivalent course in my country....:confused:
send an email to [email protected]

He will tell you what to do
I am in the same dilemma. Your best bet will be to excel in the cognitive and non cognitive test. In the case, you get in straight away.
Original post by :D'
lol got the exact same dilemma as you over the article issue. Dont know which one to choose.
Btw in the selection portfolio on part c3, i am stating that i recieved the admissibility letter but on D i dont understand how to fill it. I dont get the difference between VWO 5 final mark and exam final mark. Besides Ive not even sat the final exam for equivalent course in my country....:confused:

oh ok, were you issued exemptions by the teachers of the University of Groningen?
Reply 59
oh ok, were you issued exemptions by the teachers of the University of Groningen?

err not sure. I have one deficiency which I have been told ways to make up for. The other conditions that were stated was, of course to "pass" the selection procedure, and complete secondary education- in other words complete and pass the vwo equivalent courses i am studying right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending