Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've never smoked anything in ym life and I'm gonig to make sure I never do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    I dont smoke, and my boyfriend has recently given up smoking for me...aww!
    i don't, butmy boyf smokes and keeps "trying" to give up but he has no will power. All I get is him being moody and tetchy for a day, complaining he feels sick, and then the next he's gone out and bought ciggies again :mad: it really makes me mad... his sister gave up recently cos she's pregnant, but its his mum thats the bad influence lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Never tried it and never want to. Hmm....smelly clothes, yellow teeth, bad breath, no money and an early death oooo tempting but I think I will pass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    Having been a victim of an unplanned addiction some time in the past, I disagree. After a chat with a doctor who told me fairly firmly that he thought I was now addicted to something I had prescribed, I just stopped. Sometimes thought I wanted it, and just didn't.

It doesn't take anything other than willpower.
    I think everyone's experience of addiction is different; I've been subjects to addiction for about 3 years now and am finding it almost insurmountable. In my case it wasn't a matter of thinking I want it, it's being unable to function without it on any level.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is my fifth day without a cigarette. Hope I can quit for good this time.....cheer me on everybody!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    I dont smoke, and my boyfriend has recently given up smoking for me...aww!
    You must either be lucky to have him, or he is lucky to have you, which may be why he gave up smoking for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, this is my fifth day without a cigarette. Hope I can quit for good this time.....cheer me on everybody!
    *cheering and applause*
    Good on you, Howard my man! Think how much healthier+richer you'll be.
    Funny, I'm listening to a song called "I smoke a lot" as I type. Terrible song.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    I think everyone's experience of addiction is different; I've been subjects to addiction for about 3 years now and am finding it almost insurmountable. In my case it wasn't a matter of thinking I want it, it's being unable to function without it on any level.
    you may have thought you couldnt function without it, but in truth, you could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    you may have thought you couldnt function without it, but in truth, you could.
    With all respect, you have no idea.
    I try not to talk about my personal life on forums, but suffice to say that I couldn't get out of bed last time I tried to give up. I couldn't even eat, I couldn't think properly, I couldn't do anything. Two psychiatrists and a psychotherapist haven't yet helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    The body cannot live without the mind; the mind controls the body. Don't underestimate psychology.
    I don't know about that. As a matter of fact, from some of the **** on this forum, there is ample evidence that the body can function without the mind!

ReputationRep:
    Nope....I don't...Bad habit & smells...No thank you...And I am 16....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Howard)
    Congratualtions

Are you feeling the benefits yet or are you still just spending every ounce of energy stopping yourself ripping off the head of anyone foolish enough to come near you

I remember when hubby quit he became a not very nice person for a few weeks - when he spent 3 months last year trying to throw off a cough with ex-smokers lungs I think he realised what a favour he'd done himself by quitting (he's prone to chest infections etc etc - had he still been smoking it's likely he'd still be coughing his guts up 9 months on)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    I wouldn't force you to stop. Just force you to stop doing it anywhere where you might breathe on a non-smoker. Carry on at home, by all means.
    You forget that Anarchy Heaven probably lives at home with his parents who don't know that he smokes - that's probably why he's so anti-banning smoking in public places because those are the only places he's able to smoke.

Pathetic really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    With all respect, you have no idea.
    I try not to talk about my personal life on forums, but suffice to say that I couldn't get out of bed last time I tried to give up. I couldn't even eat, I couldn't think properly, I couldn't do anything. Two psychiatrists and a psychotherapist haven't yet helped me.
    I can sympaphize with that absolutely. I tried to give up after Xmas and spent 3 days in bed, pulling my hair out. So it must be bad since I am one of the least prone to depression/feelings of helplessness people I know. Really out of character for me. I couldn't believe mentally how low I sank.

People forget that nicotine is amongst the most addictive substances on the planet (more so I understand than heroin) and it really isn't that easy to quit, especially not once you are really hooked as a long term committed smoker.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Howard, keep at it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Congratualtions

Are you feeling the benefits yet or are you still just spending every ounce of energy stopping yourself ripping off the head of anyone foolish enough to come near you

I remember when hubby quit he became a not very nice person for a few weeks - when he spent 3 months last year trying to throw off a cough with ex-smokers lungs I think he realised what a favour he'd done himself by quitting (he's prone to chest infections etc etc - had he still been smoking it's likely he'd still be coughing his guts up 9 months on)
    Thankyou. Actually, I feel quite well. I think the fact that I've had a stinking cold over the last week (and so couldn't smoke if I wanted to) has helped but nevertheless I'm in quite good spirits. Even went back to the gym this week to counter the effects of any additional Wonka bar intake!

I'm quietly pleased with myself! <smugly>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Good luck Howard, keep at it!
    Thanks!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.