BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering Watch

mojomo94
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi is there anyone doing the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering, I couldn't find a place where i could talk to other people who are doing this qualification.
Christono
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am although I don't think there are many people doing it who visit this site. But how are you finding things?
Uniiverse
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm considering dropping out of sixth form and going to college to do BTEC engineering, is it worth it? Is there a lot of maths and physics?
iceman95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Uniiverse)
I'm considering dropping out of sixth form and going to college to do BTEC engineering, is it worth it? Is there a lot of maths and physics?
Why are you considering dropping out? Well you do two maths unit which are mathematics for technicians and further maths for technicians. For first unit you do in the first your is pretty much easy it recaps a lot of GCSE stuff and has a bit of AS stuff. And in the further maths unit has got more AS + A2 stuff and some stuff to do with complex numbers. It is all related to engineering. However, as sufficient maths is not covered some good Uni's do not accept the btec unless accompanied with a level maths usually is for mechanical, aerospace engineering but most even good uni's are happy to accept you without a level maths but Distinctions in the maths units for electrical & electronic engineering.

The physics stuff covers mechanics, electrical stuff, electromagnetism, all which are related to engineering.

What a levels are you doing?

I am in my first year of this course I changed to btec from A level a lot of others I know here have but have gone to good Uni's like nottingham, manchester, bath etc.
JohnCun97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm starting the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in September, without any A Levels, how is the course going? What sort of things have you covered? I cant wait to start.
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you finished the electrical engineering level 3 course? Im thinking of starting it what do you recommend?
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am thinking of starting and then going to university. Possibly electrical engineering degree? What do you recommend? How did you find it?
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is further maths for technicians? Is it something you do with the level 3 course?
AM1R
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing the second year of this course. Further Maths does seem hard but I think it will be easy if I just read math books and revise some A2 content.
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How was the first year?
AdamNitron
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by matthew.s)
Have you finished the electrical engineering level 3 course? Im thinking of starting it what do you recommend?
I'm on my second year now. I'll be quite honest, for me at least, the course was dead easy and I didn't really learn anything even after a year of doing it. Completing assignments mainly consisted of me doing Google searches, reading a few articles and just writing the information I got from them (in my own words of course). You don't really retain the information, and there's hardly any practical work (we finished the installations module within a few months). At the end of the year I managed to get 7 Distinctions's, 1 Merit and a Pass.

I regret not taking AS maths alongside my course as it would have looked better on my application and given me a more solid foundation before doing an engineering degree. However a lot of universities will still accept you with just the BTEC on its own (even Russel groups) and I know plenty of people who've gotten in to good uni's like Nottingham and Queen University Belfast .

The thing about BTEC's is that what you learn depends both on you, and the institution you study it at. Don't get me wrong, it still requires effort on your part...just not as much as say an A-Level student would have.
spanker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want a challenge do A-levels, if you want to do something which is easy as pie do the BTEC.
I done the BTEC level 3 in engineering with Maths for technicians, further maths for techs, mechanical principles and further mechanical principles. Has a nice maths content but it is easy.
AdamNitron
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spanker)
If you want a challenge do A-levels, if you want to do something which is easy as pie do the BTEC.
I done the BTEC level 3 in engineering with Maths for technicians, further maths for techs, mechanical principles and further mechanical principles. Has a nice maths content but it is easy.
Have you complete the BTEC in engineering?
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AdamNitron)
Have you complete the BTEC in engineering?
Yeah got distinction in all the maths and mechanical principles. Distinction in all first year subjects, second year I wasn't enjoying it so got 1 pass, rest merits+ (distinction in project - easy just long winded). Finished overall with a DD*D*.
AdamNitron
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spanker)
Yeah got distinction in all the maths and mechanical principles. Distinction in all first year subjects, second year I wasn't enjoying it so got 1 pass, rest merits+ (distinction in project - easy just long winded). Finished overall with a DD*D*.
NICE! So what did you do after you finished the BTEC?
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AdamNitron)
NICE! So what did you do after you finished the BTEC?
GAP year, deciding what I want to do.
University next year, unless I decide I want to do an apprenticeship or something else.
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thats decent. Im starting the course on monday. And also what do you think of maths for technicians?
spanker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by matthew.s)
Thats decent. Im starting the course on monday. And also what do you think of maths for technicians?
Similar to GCSE Maths with a bit extra and more to do with real problems not just random equations, I enjoyed it though because I like maths. You will be alright if your teacher is the type to give notes. If not make sure you copy down his/her solution when they go through it.
matthew.s
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the advice mate appreciate it!
liam.m20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
once qualified in L3 can you become an electrician?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads