The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connormarshall97
Hi guys has anyone done the unit 5 mechanical principles and applications assignment 3; thermodynamic and fluid systems? I've been given it early and I haven't got a clue how to do it due to the teacher being off sick for 4 weeks it's gradin criteria P5, P6, P7, P8, P9, M3, M4 and D2 has anyone completed this assignments hitting all the criteria to distinction level? If so can you help me or give me the answers please it would be a massive help

just Done it in exam condition. LOL Passed all of them, but show me the questions i might can help you.
I have listed all the questions i have to answer below, hopefully these will be the ones you have done and passed them all, any help will be much appreciated! it needs to be done by the 12th of this month, thank you so much for the reply!!!

P5 calculate the resultant thrust and overturning moment on a vertical rectangular retaining surface with one edge in the free surface of a liquid

P6 determine the up-thrust on an immersed body

P7 use the continuity of volume and mass flow for an incompressible fluidto determine the design characteristics of a gradually tapering pipe

P8 calculate dimensional change when a solid materialundergoes a change in temperature and the heat transfer that accompanies a change of temperature and phase

P9 solve two or more problems that require application ofthermodynamic process equations for a perfect gas to determine unknown parameters of the problems [IE1, IE4].

M3 determine the thermal efficiency of a heat transfer process from given values of flow rate, temperature change and input power

M4 determine the force induced in a rigidly held component that undergoes a change in temperature.

D2 evaluate the methods that might be used to determine the density of a solid material and the density of a liquid.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Aeronautical-Engineering/2010/Specification/Unit_5_Mechanical_Principles_and_Applications.pdf

the link to where i found these questions is above on page 4 of the site, these are the official questions which i have been handed a paper copy for my assessment.

thank you!!!!!
I want to be come a future Aircraft Maintenance Engineer but i have no idea, choose this course or A-level.
Reply 63
Original post by ARiley1765
I want to be come a future Aircraft Maintenance Engineer but i have no idea, choose this course or A-level.

If you know thats what you want to do then take this course

Also you can choose:

Aircraft Maintenance BTEC

Or

Aviation Operations BTEC

Or

Aeronautical Engineering BTEC
Hey Im doing a subsidiary diploma in Engineering, if i have done more units than needed for the qualification then will these be put on my certificate when i get my results.
Original post by AdamNitron
I'm on my second year now. I'll be quite honest, for me at least, the course was dead easy and I didn't really learn anything even after a year of doing it. Completing assignments mainly consisted of me doing Google searches, reading a few articles and just writing the information I got from them (in my own words of course). You don't really retain the information, and there's hardly any practical work (we finished the installations module within a few months). At the end of the year I managed to get 7 Distinctions's, 1 Merit and a Pass.

I regret not taking AS maths alongside my course as it would have looked better on my application and given me a more solid foundation before doing an engineering degree. However a lot of universities will still accept you with just the BTEC on its own (even Russel groups) and I know plenty of people who've gotten in to good uni's like Nottingham and Queen University Belfast .

The thing about BTEC's is that what you learn depends both on you, and the institution you study it at. Don't get me wrong, it still requires effort on your part...just not as much as say an A-Level student would have.

For people who are doing the course can they answer the follow questions

1 is the course hard
2 is the coursework very long
3 is a lot of independent study or work needed
4 tips for the course
5 suggestions what to do when the course is finished
Original post by Dillonguyisme
For people who are doing the course can they answer the follow questions

1 is the course hard
2 is the coursework very long
3 is a lot of independent study or work needed
4 tips for the course
5 suggestions what to do when the course is finished

1) no
2) The research ones are yes. Depends how much you procrastinate
3) no
4) get work done as soon as possible. Do not copy and paste.
5) work experience/ voluntary/ paid jobs
Original post by RKID 018
1) no
3) no

Like how long can you spend on it
1) no
3) no

did you do electrical engineering and is gcse harder
1) no
3) no

is a lot of work needed to be done at home
Like how long can you spend on it

Hours I guess. Calculations can take longer to make sure they're perfect
did you do electrical engineering and is gcse harder

Mechanical. GCSE's are irrelevant as you won't be using any of it on the course
is a lot of work needed to be done at home

Not in the first year. The project unit takes up most of the time spent studying
Has anyone completed unit 51: Electrical Technology, I can't find any descent websites to use to meet the criteria, can anyone help ?
I've just finished the BTEC diploma which has 11 units at 120 credit value. Overall I got: 9 distinctions, 1 merit and 2 passes.
In my first year I got 5 distinctions and 1 merit. In my second year I got 4 distinctions and 2 passes. What overall grade would this be. I was hoping to get D* D
Just left school applied local college and jcb 6th form to do level 3 BTEC engineering and A level maths. College you do 18 units JCB you do 12 units. ?? Which would be the best place to study. College 3 days a week. JCB 5 days a week ??? At the end 2 years get a diploma.
Original post by dlquarterman
Just left school applied local college and jcb 6th form to do level 3 BTEC engineering and A level maths. College you do 18 units JCB you do 12 units. ?? Which would be the best place to study. College 3 days a week. JCB 5 days a week ??? At the end 2 years get a diploma.

In my opinion go college all unis accept the 18 units but some will only accept the diploma if it's backed with maths and physics
Original post by Michael_98
In my opinion go college all unis accept the 18 units but some will only accept the diploma if it's backed with maths and physics

The decent uni`s only accept the 18 unit qualification with maths.
www.freestudy.co.uk

A good website to help you with the BTEC coursework, I used it myself when I done it.
I might be doing a BTEC Level 3 Diploma (90 Credit) / Extended Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, will this have all the topics covered like the maths stuff?

Latest

Trending

Trending