The Student Room Group

Matching hypothesis A2 coursework - help?!

I've carried out my research and have used scattergraphs and then spearmans rho to find the correlation (which was 0.63!)

Is that it? I mean I have to write it all up but is that the results and treatment of results done? I feel like it's not very much for an A level coursework but I'm struggling to think of what else I'd need to do to make it more advanced..

I thought I could jumble up the scores and provide a correlation for the non couples in order to create a sort of control group.. But is that necessary?

Could someone who knows or has done or is doing their coursework, have I done enough?!?? It all just seems a little bit too easy or something.
fionah
I've carried out my research and have used scattergraphs and then spearmans rho to find the correlation (which was 0.63!)

Is that it? I mean I have to write it all up but is that the results and treatment of results done? I feel like it's not very much for an A level coursework but I'm struggling to think of what else I'd need to do to make it more advanced..

I thought I could jumble up the scores and provide a correlation for the non couples in order to create a sort of control group.. But is that necessary?

Could someone who knows or has done or is doing their coursework, have I done enough?!?? It all just seems a little bit too easy or something.

you have to say whether that result of 0.63 is significant or not...look it up on the spearman's rho table...
make sure you have made a directional hypothesis...this will make it better when u talk about significance...
wouldn't have thought a control group was necessary in this situation....you don't normally have them with correlations....
what board are you doing???
Reply 2
ruthiepoothie
you have to say whether that result of 0.63 is significant or not...look it up on the spearman's rho table...
make sure you have made a directional hypothesis...this will make it better when u talk about significance...
wouldn't have thought a control group was necessary in this situation....you don't normally have them with correlations....
what board are you doing???

Hi, no i didnt think control group sounded .. plausible.

I've got the spearman's rho table in front of me right now, and perhaps you could enlighten me.. I go down to 30 on the N column .. and then which of the four values do I use? I feel all confused now :confused: (There is one column for N, then one that says 0.05, 0.025, 0.01 and 0.005)

AQA is the board
fionah
Hi, no i didnt think control group sounded .. plausible.

I've got the spearman's rho table in front of me right now, and perhaps you could enlighten me.. I go down to 30 on the N column .. and then which of the four values do I use? I feel all confused now :confused: (There is one column for N, then one that says 0.05, 0.025, 0.01 and 0.005)

AQA is the board

with the table....
depends whether you are doing a one or two tailed hypothesis....if you have a directional hypothesis (eg positive correlation will occur) then that is one tailed so you don't need to worry about N....if it is 2 tailed then obviously use N....
it depends what your level of significance is...the usual one to use is 0.05 as this means there is about 1/20 chance of something outside your control influencing your results eg. one participant had just had an argument with their partner or someone they knew had died or one of them had flu.... i would suggest use 0.05 but i'm not entirely sure...i'm doing ocr but have just done a correlation and i am confused over the table 2!! i think use 0.05 tho :smile:
Reply 4
My two tailed chart doesnt have N but my one tailed one does :confused:

As for 0.05 I think you are correct. I actually had written it down in my project brief but since forgotten :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending