The Student Room Group

Clinical / Counselling - could someone give a straight answer!!!

OK the question of a difference between clinical and counselling psychologists I think is pretty much frowned upon. When someone asks this question, people assume they just haven't researched the fields or are frankly dumb. But truly, the differences please? Previously, I saw clinics as helping more with those with mental disorders, whilst counsellors help 'healthy' people with everyday problems like bereavement, certain anxiety disorders etc. However, from what I can tell, clinical psychologists seem to do all what counselling psychologists do too! So really, is there a clear cut distinction factor, or are the title differences just caused from past differing careers that have overtime become much more similar (a view I've noticed on websites while researching)?
Reply 1
hey, ive offend wondered this myself as i have the intention of becoming a clinical psychologyist. i flipped onto the BPS website and this is wat was said

What do Counselling psychologists do?
What they do
Counselling psychologists are a relatively new breed of professional applied psychologists concerned with the integration of psychological theory and research with therapeutic practice. The practice of Counselling Psychology requires a high level of self-awarness and competence in relating the skills and knowledge of personal and interpesonal dynamics to the therapeutic context.

Key tasks include:

Assessment, including assessment of mental health needs, risk assessment and psychometric testing.
Formulation; i.e. a psychological explanation of the genesis and maintenance of the psychological problem
Planning and implementation of therapy
Report writing and record keeping
Evaluation of the outcome of therapy
Supervision and training of other psychologists
Multidisciplinary team work and team facilitation
Service and organisational development
Audit and evaluation
Research and development
Management of services
Where they work
Counselling psychologists work almost anywhere there are people. For instance counselling psychologists are currently employed in industry, commerce, the prison service and in all layers of education from primary school to university. About half of all counselling psychologists are employed to do clinical work in health and social care settings. Other career paths can be found in teaching and research for academic bodies. Counselling psychologists can also practice privately as organisational consultants.

Who they work with
They may work directly with individuals, couples, families and groups, or act as consultants.

------------------------------------
What do clinical psychologists do?

What they do
Clinical psychology aims to reduce psychological distress and to enhance and promote psychological well-being. A wide range of psychological difficulties may be dealt with, including anxiety, depression, relationship problems, learning disabilities, child and family problems, and serious mental illness.

To assess a client, a clinical psychologist may undertake a clinical assessment using a variety of methods including psychometric tests, interviews and direct observation of behaviour. Assessment may lead to therapy, counselling or advice.

Where they work
Clinical Psychologists work largely in health and social care settings including hospitals, health centres, community mental health teams, child and adolescent mental health services and social services.

Who they work with
They usually work as part of a team with, for example, social workers, medical practitioners and other health professionals. Most clinical psychologists work in the National Health Service, which has a clearly defined career structure, but some work in private practice.

The work is often directly with people, either individually or in groups, assessing their needs and providing therapies based on psychological theories and research. Clinical psychology is a rapidly developing field and adding to the evidence base through research is very important. Some clinical psychologists work as trainers, teachers and researchers in universities.

basically in summary they do the same kind of thing, but wats interesting is that to become a clincial psyc---ist you need to do doctorate in clinical psyc whereas counseliing is a postgrad degree. so basic clincal u have a doctorate at the end whereas couselling ur just a person with 2 degrees, no title. thats my evaluation of it anyway.

hope it helped

x
Reply 2
Well one difference that comes to my mind is that you can be a counsellor and counsel people who have been bereaved/bullied/depressed etc without having a psychology degree and being a psychologist or even having a degree. I think you just have to take a course in counselling.

To be a clinical psychologist though you have to do a psych degree and then further training in clinical psych. Yeah, I would think that clinical psychologists would be qualified to deal with the more serious mental problems such as serious mental disorders and like you said, people who have merely taken a course in counselling are only qualified for the more everyday less severe mental problems such as depression and what not.

Those are just my off the top of my head ideas, I haven't done any research on any of that so I could be wrong but I just thought I'd let you know its not a dumb question, you have to ask questions in order to learn, and the people that look down on you just because you don't know it are just being snobby because there was obviously a time when they didn't know it themselves, they obviously just don't remember it! Sorry I can't be of more help, hope you find the answer!

Edit: well done Nutty nat, I think you've pretty much solved that one :smile:! I didn't realise counselling psych was a higher qualification, I was thinking of the counsellors who have taken a training course without having a degree. I guess they're another type of counsellor!
Reply 3
Well counselling psychologists have to do a post-graduate diploma, a masters degree and a post-masters diploma as part of their professional training. They can also do a doctorate in the field as with clinical psychologist, though in contrast it is not essential and compulsory. Thus, there is a difference between your regular counsellor and a counselling psychologist (as CPs also use psychological practice and treatments) - hence my question.

One other main bit of info I think splits them is the anecdotal evidence I've heard that clinical psychologists are all NHS workers and are much more likely to work in psychiatrist wards with patients with incurable and very deteriorating mental health. In contrast, counselling psychologists appear to be very widespread in the NHS (due to high demand - my mate is on a 6 month waiting list to get an appointment with one) and can also work privately. So really from what I can see is theres a tendency for clinics to work with more neuroses and psychoses whereas counsellors concern themselves entirely on those who are arguably just victims of life experiences (which is more the thing I'd like to work in). However, the overlap seems immense and had there not been separate societies for the two disciplines preventing it - I think they could very well have possibly merged.

The difference obviously dates back, and I think clinical psych in particular has expanded to cover other areas of diagnosing and treating. I think the issue is basically a personal choice of how you want to go about your career, though I still don't know enough about the involvement of clinical psychologists with patients who are stereotyping counselling clients (i.e. no obvious biological basis to their problem).

Latest

Trending

Trending