Turn on thread page Beta

Linguistics watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied to York for English literature with linguistics - it seemed a good idea at the time, but now I'm not sure anymore. I've never really done any linguistics before, and I think it might be a bit of a risk accepting the offer only to find out that I hate it. So, if anyone here is already studying linguistics, could you give me an idea of what it's like?

I would have put York down as my insurance choice, and Durham as my first choice (where I'd be studying just English literature on its own), but then Durham went and made me a lower offer than York, so now I don't know whether to put York down as my first choice.....it would be really dumb of me, if I then make the York offer (and I'm pretty sure I will) to then have to go there, when I really want to go to Durham.....dilemma! (sigh)

Oh, and while I'm asking anyway...which is normally considered better for English, Durham or Exeter? Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    i agree. i think the most important thing when u choose ur uni is the one u like the best, both the course and the place. even if the grades are higher at york, don't feel as if u should put it as ur first choice just because of that. like u say, if u actually made the grades and had to go there when u didnt like it, then u would be unhappy and u should choose the place where u would feel happiest.
    regarding the linguistics, have u read the linguistics questions in the york prospectus? they say in there that if u read those and ur interested in the majority of them then u would find linguistics there good. when i went to an open day at york i had a linguistics sample lesson thing, seemed interesting to me but i cant guarantee it would to u 2! u could try reading a linguistics book to see if the subject itself interests u, ive tried 'the language instinct' by steven pinker which i found quite good.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure you could always cange the linguistics side if it doesnt suit. Usually unis are quite flexible with dual honours courses

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.