The Student Room Group

Is past papers the best form of revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Magenta96
Before I started past papers and was learning content, I read through a topic, made notes, answered all the textbook questions on the topic and we were tested on that topic in class using actual past paper questions. I also made mind maps at the end of each topic to summarise my knowledge and used sticky notes to write key formulas on which I then stuck on the relevant revision guide page.

I've been through like 8 past papers so far & intend on doing them all again, my teacher's given us like 10 thick booklets with more questions on that he's got from somewhere so I'll probably go through all those too... It's going to be one long xmas holiday :smile:

omg! then yeah, im sure you'll be fine seeing as you have so many more revision resources than i had! my chemistry and biology teacher just literally gave us a some printed out class notes and that was it, all the other revision we had to do otherselves. :frown:

at the end of the day, its how you perform on the exam and it all depends on then so i wouldn't worry because you seem really clever anyway :smile:

haha! yeah. its going to be a verrryyyyy long xmas holiday, its shame ill be revising for most of it :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by burnatte4
HELL TO THE YES!!

- That is what got me my A in chemistry!

are you sure???????? :u::hmmm::wtf:
Reply 22
Original post by AzkaF
are you sure???????? :u::hmmm::wtf:

ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! :P

I like to be modest about my achievements!
Reply 23
It's a great method! I like the idea when people try to learn something from their mistakes. Moreover, revision is much better than cramming. Wish you to fulfill all what you want!
Guys, what is the best time before exams to actually focus FULLY on past papers?
I am aiming to start past papers next week for my Alevels and that's a whole month before exams ! Is that okay?
Thankyou!
Definitely. I've studied learning at university and there are quite a few studies showing how testing is the best way to revise. I used to do past papers all throughout my a-levels (even when we had only covered one topic and I could only answer one question on the paper lol). By exam time I had done each one at least six times and that was definitely reflected in my exam results. My results went from ABCC to A*ABB.
Original post by LeaX
Definitely. I've studied learning at university and there are quite a few studies showing how testing is the best way to revise. I used to do past papers all throughout my a-levels (even when we had only covered one topic and I could only answer one question on the paper lol). By exam time I had done each one at least six times and that was definitely reflected in my exam results. My results went from ABCC to A*ABB.

Wow! That is so good ! :smile:
Well done!
I have a whole month to use past papers. Do u reckon thats enough?

What are u studying at university? :smile:
Original post by alevels2k15
Wow! That is so good ! :smile:
Well done!
I have a whole month to use past papers. Do u reckon thats enough?

What are u studying at university? :smile:

Yep definitely! What a-levels are you taking?

I'm currently studying Psychology but changing into Biology at the end of this academic year.
Original post by LeaX
Yep definitely! What a-levels are you taking?

I'm currently studying Psychology but changing into Biology at the end of this academic year.

:smile:
Im currently doing Maths, Biology, chemistry and Psychology

The thing with me is that although I know the content, when it comes to class tests and mocks I ALWAYS get U's or if I'm lucky.. a D :frown:
Do u have any tips on how I can use these past papers to achieve The best possible results

Thankyou :smile:
Do people think making notes/ revision cards is best of doing past papers?
I have 3 weeks left and need to get an A so I'm not sure what to do. When I'm writing revision cards I feel like nothing goes in 😢
Original post by lizmoo0721
Do people think making notes/ revision cards is best of doing past papers?
I have 3 weeks left and need to get an A so I'm not sure what to do. When I'm writing revision cards I feel like nothing goes in ������

EXACTLY in the same situation as you!
Ive heard so many people say that past papers are the best form of revision and they truly are!
BUT... i guess you need to know the content before you even attempt past papers and the best way to learn the content is flashcards/ revision notes!

good luck! :smile:
Original post by alevels2k15
EXACTLY in the same situation as you!
Ive heard so many people say that past papers are the best form of revision and they truly are!
BUT... i guess you need to know the content before you even attempt past papers and the best way to learn the content is flashcards/ revision notes!

good luck! :smile:

Thank You, I just feel like I spend all my time making notes and revision cards but nothing goes in hahahahahah.
I think I'll briefly learn the content and then pick up what I don't know from past papers.

Good Luck to you too!

:smile:
It honestly depends. Some peope it's the best thing and others not so much. I find it good to revise a topic or two, then do a past paper question to ensure I have fully understood the things I have just done!
Reply 33
Do you do past papers from just one exam board or do you do past papers from all exam boards?
Original post by lizz-ie
Personally, I think I'd do the solomon papers first for maths, since they're harder than the past papers. This way, I'd then find the past papers and the exam easy. :smile:

what is Solomon papers
Original post by sendmememes!!
i got an science tutor who is rlly rlly helping w revision, hes from lanterna or something anyway check it out if u still struggling

Nice try, Lanterna tutor
Excellent method. I did this for my Nat 5's (same as GCSE) and got great grades. By the sound of things, it is working well for you too so, just keep up the good work and make sure you have a bit of time to rest as well.
Original post by Magenta96
EDIT: *Are, just realised the title doesn't even make sense lol

For biology and chemistry, I've finished making notes & revising unit 1 so I've been doing loads of past papers. I basically complete them under exam conditions, mark them, look at where I went wrong and make a note of it. Then, before I begin a new past paper, I read over all the previous mistakes I made to make sure I don't make the same ones. There are like 7 past papers available for AQA so I'm planning on doing each past paper 2-3 times. I did this same method at GCSE and went from a C to A*'s in all three sciences so I think it may work.

On top of past papers, we're revising in lessons and I'm doing questions I've made up myself as well on the things the past papers aren't testing me on. I already have mindmaps and flashcards for chemistry & biology too. For maths there are 13 past papers available for unit 1 so I was planning on doing all 13 past papers once & then moving onto solomon papers?

I need A's in biology, chemistry & maths, so what do you think of this method?

As you may agree it’s hard to note all the important details, to always stay concentrated in class and remember everything what teacher explained. I’m in my final year of uni studying International Business and I honestly feel I wasted way too much time because I wasn't revising effectively. A friend of mine recommended helpful App (for IOS users) called “Lecture Scriber” to assist my revision. In this app I can record, make notes, draw graphs and take photos while recording voice. Recorded voice is synced with the notes and pictures you’ve taken, so while revising, this helped me to have all material in one place ready for coursework prep and revision, moreover, by clicking on the related notes LectureScriber App brings up the minute in the recording when you made these notes. I started using LectureScriber App in March and it really helped me to save time and improve my uni performance. Wanted to share this here maybe it will help you guys to revise smart too. Just write Lecture Scriber in App Store and it should be first app.
Not particularly you understand it more as you go through if you go wrong on a question you mark it then make notes out of a textbook then attempt the paper again using your gained knowledge or do a similar paper from a different year then see what marks you get. I know you said this 8 years ago but you can still pass this info on

Quick Reply

Latest