Do UCL and Durham carry any prestige/reputation in your country?

Watch
lifeisgood.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I got into both, but I'm just asking...because my family (Singaporeans) have never heard of them. They instead have heard of 2nd tier US schools like Northwestern, Georgetown, NYU etc. IDK but it seems stupid to me.

As much as I hate to say it, international rep is important to me especially when it comes to careers. So naturally I'm reluctant to attend a place that my family has never even heard of.

Can you please tell me what country you're from, and what the kind of reputation from those universities are like?

BTW They are both for basically PPE (politics/philosophy/econ) For UCL it's ESPS(PPE with German) and for Durham its Combined Social Sciences (Politics, Economics, Business).
arrowhead
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, in India the focus is always seems to be on the best universities. My parents and general society members rarely speak (or know) of any university beyond Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale/Princeton. Every now and then, someone in law or finance will mention LSE or Wharton or Columbia. But UCL has some recognition for its Sciences, especially Medicine (little though it may be in comparison). Durham is unheard of. I personally didn't even know it was a good university until I started doing research for my UCAS app.
jreid1994
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For undergrad, I'd go with a British top five like UCL over anything but Harvard Princeton and Yale. You are in the EU, its cheaper and and UCL is definitely prestigious, it is in the top twenty internationally and I'd say even better at undergrad level. Durham is good but UCL is more prestigious. Any employer in the UK worth talking to has heard of UCL and Durham, probably even internationally. It's not some joke of a university like LMU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lifeisgood.
Rep:
?
BUMPerooooooo
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not from the US, but I live here.

In the US, most people's knowledge of UK universities includes Oxford, Cambridge and LSE, that's it. They might stretch to St Andrews, presumably either because of Scottish roots, or because of the Royal Family. They might have a conception of there being a University of London, but would almost certainly not know individual universities within that. Even people working in higher education don't know UCL or Durham, unless they have some particular contact with the university - i.e. they know someone that works there (although, I will say that you're more likely to meet people that know UCL, just not very many... Durham is completely unknown here).
tracyallott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am currently seeking complaint reply against my ex univ Durham due to shocking treatment when I, an ex English graduate from the 80s, told them after years of institutional abuse about a stalker victim ordeal. I am a very innocent person, and was kicked deluded for years by Barnsley NHS and Police, for saying a stalker broke in on me after church and could have suffocated me after I was molested. I got apology after years of doing charity work unpaid full time off an unusual support order, being called schizoid and psychoid. They threatened when I asked for help to stop abuse, to charge me for harassmentof univ. Before Bradford whore scandal murders, and A Hall Durham murder.
In about 2008-9. I had alumni office who arranged a venture, let us say, send ex friends, now professional or early retired, to my disabled shop work in town, as if they were hearing of me as dirty gossip, and some were not working even in voluntary jobs I think. I was caused more mental torture. I am seeking apology from them still, and got acknow-ment. but no reply yet, altho OiA back up my request. I had them send a Prof from Englsh dept, a lady staff member, and others, and have seen sight of the Prof in Sheffield looking perturbed as if struck off, and am seeking reply as to if this is true, expressing concerns and asking if I can meet him to ask what went on and talk. I have complained before to OiA and not been told of any action behind my back. I no longer trust Durham univ leaders. I feel they are corrupt and my name has been used for highly corrupt and unscrupulous purposes by some of them. I am going to have to fight to get apology. I started getting upset in a church that should care about others, reporting torture of me and religious persecution and family probs for years, in a rough area where I could no longer focus. I found teachers there had no concern and any understanding I had a brain, and felt they just used people for money. They had no concern a member nearly killed his wife and a minister said he would chuck a chinese doctor down canal near my attack and murders. Totally ruthless. Univ trained?
No matter how hard I have worked in life in placements, voluntary and temp jobs, they just say I am not there, it is not work, or slander me as awkward. I have found no good links between me writing my degree down on forms and institutional regularities saying my brain is real, and th en giving me proper work assessment. I write in Chapeltown library Sheffield where DSS let me write off sick, and staff have jobs I never had. They are talking like animals and turning air abrasive. I get headaches. One just came in saying screw with someone's legs. They were talking about putting people to sleep the other week. This is supposedly the best way to work and earn, to behave like them, and hard work and good character getting no respect.
I cannot see a world like that, led by such as Durham alumni body, is fit to live in and am glad I never had kids. I have put similar to this to moderator and they block me. My immediate and non immediate family all had big jobs or similar. I have had nothing. I am distantly related to Poet Mcmillan. He has called me mental before. Durham univ tried to block me other week when asking disabled office for complaint reply but now OiA make them start to respond. I would not hold out much hope.Tracy Allott Barnsley S Yorks English graduate from 86, Durham univ, victim of torture, long term semi disabled. writer for All voices web mag US< 40000 international web views, opposed to fraud, hypocrisy, negation of mental health and energy, and human cruelty and injustice, 47, single legal honest, sexually innocent woman
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tracyallott)
I am currently seeking complaint reply against my ex univ Durham due to shocking treatment when I, an ex English graduate from the 80s, told them after years of institutional abuse about a stalker victim ordeal. I am a very innocent person, and was kicked deluded for years by Barnsley NHS and Police, for saying a stalker broke in on me after church and could have suffocated me after I was molested. I got apology after years of doing charity work unpaid full time off an unusual support order, called schizoid and psychoid. They threatened when I asked for help to stop abuse, to charge me for harassment. In about 2008-9. I had alumni office who arranged it send ex friends, now professional or early retired, to my disabled shop work in town, as if they were hearing of me as dirty gossip, and some were not working even in voluntary jobs I think. I was caused more mental torture. I am seeking apology from them still, and got ack. but no reply yet, altho OiA back up my request. I had them send a Prof from Englsh dept, a lady staff member, and others, and have seen sight of the Prof in Sheffield looking perturbed as if struck off, and am seeking reply as to if this is true, expressing concerns and asking if I can meet him to ask what went on and talk about. I have complained before to OiA and not been told of any action behind my back. I no longer trust Durham univ leaders. I feel they are corrupt and my name has been used for highly corrupt and unscrupulous purposes by some of them. I am going to have to fight to get apology. I started getting upset in a church that should care about others, reporting torture of me and religious persecution and family probs for years, in a rough area where I could no longer focus. I found teachers there had no concern and any understanding I had a brain, and felt they just used people for money. No matter how hard I have worked in life in placements, voluntary and temp jobs, they just say I am not there, it is not work, or slander me as awkward. I have found no good links between me writing my degree down on forms and institutional regularities saying my brain is real, giving me proper work assessment. I write in Chapeltown library Sheffield where DSs let me write off sick, and staff have jobs I never had. They are talking like animals and turning air abrasive. I get headaches. One just came in saying screw with someone's legs. They were talking about putting people to sleep the other week. This is supposedly the best way to work and earn, hard work and good character I have managed to do, getting no respect. I cannot see a world like that, led by such as Durham alumni body, is fit to live in and am glad I never had kids. I have put similar to this to moderator and they block me. Durham univ tried to block me other week when asking disabled office for complaint reply but now OiA make them start to respond. I would not hold out much hope.Tracy Allott Barnsley S Yorks English graduate from 86, Durham univ, victim of torture, long term semi disabled. writer for All voices web mag US< 40000 international web views, opposed to fraud, hypocrisy, negation of mental health and energy, and human cruelty and injustice, 47, single legal honest, sexually innocent woman
tl dr
lifeisgood.
Rep:
?
Any Cantonese/Singaporeans/Americans/Europeans want to chip in? How is UCL's reputation over there?
VLAGRO
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Look, this should not even be a question. Durham and UCL have a perfect reputation in the UK so if you are staying in the UK after you graduate - you really should not care about that. It is common for the less developed countries to not know certain universities but that is truly ok and I know because I am born and raised and still living in one (Bulgaria).
benq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi

I am from Estonia and here people mainly heard of Oxbridge but some people in academia and in business know UCL and LSE as well. I mean surely average Joe knows only Harvard and Oxbridge but people in the industry and academia definitely know such fine university as UCL. But thats not the case for Durham unfortunately. It's a good university within UK but outside it's not very famous. Prestige wise i think you should go to UCL becuase in some recent rankings it was in top 10 with Oxbridge and top Ivies, while Durham was in top 100.

I hope that helps

Ben
joan2468
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm Malaysian (your neighbouring country, TS, hahah) and I have offers from UCL and LSE for law - told my mom about this and she had no idea what those were, only got excited when I told her I'd been invited for an Oxford interview

I think if we're talking about family as in the older generation, it's expected that they might not have heard of UCL or Durham unless they studied in the UK during their own uni days, like one of my college mate's parents. But if we're talking about people around our own age, UCL is still considered very reputable, it's like the 2nd tier of top universities after the "holy grail" that most people consider Oxbridge to be. Durham is lesser known around these parts, I think. And I think you'll also agree with me that UCL aside, LSE seems to be very popular among Asians >_>
lifeisgood.
Rep:
?
(Original post by joan2468)
I'm Malaysian (your neighbouring country, TS, hahah) and I have offers from UCL and LSE for law - told my mom about this and she had no idea what those were, only got excited when I told her I'd been invited for an Oxford interview
Omg exact same thing happened to me.

UCL! "huh? ok"
Durham! "uhh..."
Oxford interview! "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO CALL ALL YOUR UNCLES AND AUNTIES"
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lifeisgood.)
I got into both, but I'm just asking...because my family (Singaporeans) have never heard of them. They instead have heard of 2nd tier US schools like Northwestern, Georgetown, NYU etc. IDK but it seems stupid to me.

BTW They are both for basically PPE (politics/philosophy/econ) For UCL it's ESPS(PPE with German) and for Durham its Combined Social Sciences (Politics, Economics, Business).
What? They've heard of NW, Georgetown, NYU but not of UCL?
Durham is fair enough - it doesn't have anyway near as much of an international reputation like the London unis do.

Which major did you choose at UCL again?
Akkuz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol. When I applied for postgrad I asked my professor which university I should choose and he said to me:

"Have you ever heard of the mum rule? If your mum hasn't heard of it, don't go there!" :lol:
Lord of the Flies
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Where I live, people certainly know of UCL (in fact I would say it is more famous than LSE and Imperial here). Durham is virtually unheard of.
Morgan Freeman
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lord of the Flies)
Where I live, people certainly know of UCL (in fact I would say it is more famous than LSE and Imperial here). Durham is virtually unheard of.
How come your English is perfect if you live in France?
lifeisgood.
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Polymath)
What? They've heard of NW, Georgetown, NYU but not of UCL?
Durham is fair enough - it doesn't have anyway near as much of an international reputation like the London unis do.

Which major did you choose at UCL again?
ESPS German, with Econ (and maybe politics mixed in)

Same as you, dumb-dumb! :P
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ESPS German, with Econ (and maybe politics mixed in)

Same as you, dumb-dumb! :P
Oh yeahhhhhh. Well, you'll not be allowed to do any politics in the 1st and 2nd years I don't think (nothing in the 1st year for definite). You could do Econ+Pol on your year abroad and then mix it up in your fourth year though, although I doubt there would be much flexibility in the fourth year either if you wanted to graduate in "full Economics".
joan2468
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Omg exact same thing happened to me.

UCL! "huh? ok"
Durham! "uhh..."
Oxford interview! "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO CALL ALL YOUR UNCLES AND AUNTIES"
I feel your pain. My mother's reaction was more like :

UCL - "Is it recognised?"
LSE - "London School of Economics? But you're going to be studying law..."
Oxford interview - "Wow, that's good! Does your father know yet?"
Blue56
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have lots of family in Sri-Lanka and America.

All have heard of UCL, Imperial, LSE, Manchester and Oxbridge. None heard of Durham lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.44%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads