Turn on thread page Beta

Fox hunting is barbaric and should be banned. watch

ReputationRep:
    The question stands on its own and has been argued perpetually, it has been argued in some severe cases in court, which has lead it to be taken to the Houses of Parliament to be discussed. My personal view on this subject has to be in favour of the anti-fox hunting society, because of the way I am sickened when I hear about foxes being slaughtered for sport, just imagine being shot because you have to steal something, to feed your children or to survive
    Some could argue that a fox could be bad for a farmers business because of the great damage it creates, because the latest figures show that 20% of a farmers poultry is taken annually by a fox, and this carnivore creates regular havoc at its local farm at least five times a week. However they may also say that 30% of their livestock go missing annually without being noticed. However this does not mean that this is a foxes work.
    That maybe all very well, but as a result of foxes taking a farmers livestock, it is virtually impossible for a fox being able to steal a feather, due to the increased security on a farm. However these days fox hunting is not just to 'protect a farmers business' but it is also looked upon as a sport. They also say that a fox helps a farmers business because of the ever increasing pests like rats, voles and other pests it exterminates annually
    The farmers however argue that these small animals such as rats ,voles and other animals are not already major threat to their businesses, and that the major threat is only a fox. They go on to say that it is due to a fox that most livestock die.
    As a result of this argument the anti- fox hunting society argues that most deaths on the farm are not due to the foxes, but to hypothermia and pneumonia. Latest figures also show that 10,000 foxes are slaughtered annually. As a result of these deaths, the cubs that lose their mothers and if they are not found by RSPCA or other animal care centre they starve to death or die of various different diseases.
    I conclude that the problem of fox hunting is not going to be solved for many years to come, but even still the option is wide open for someone to make a suggestion. Both arguments stand solidly, but even still I still believe against this vein ripping sport for human entertainment.

ReputationRep:
    errr, no offence mate, but why do you really care? there are far more things to worry about... why dont you spend your time trynig to free tibet? or helping out people in the 3rd world? i think that we should concentrate on sorting out our own species first...

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people who believe fox hunting should be banned live in cities which says a lot.

Personally, why change the current system? Foxes are pests and must be controlled. Fox hunting achieves this. It's not broken, so what are people trying to fix?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    errr, no offence mate, but why do you really care? there are far more things to worry about... why dont you spend your time trynig to free tibet? or helping out people in the 3rd world? i think that we should concentrate on sorting out our own species first...
    Your ignorance is quite astounding. Are you aware that if we allow animals such as the fox to become extinct, then in the long run the entire human civilisation could be under threat. It is a relatively unknown fact that if the common household bee was eradicated then it would lead to the distruction of mankind slowly. It may be difficult to understand this as we may think about these animals as useless and things which have no effect upon our day to day lives, but they do.
    The example of the bee above has been scientifically hypothesised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    The question stands on its own and has been argued perpetually... Both arguments stand solidly, but even still I still believe against this vein ripping sport for human entertainment.
    *It's the weakest foxes that get caught - the ones that can't run fast enough or are old an manky

*it's not like foxes are rare/endangered

*People are more important than foxes - put your efforts into sorting out the dying, starving people in the world first, then saving foxes can become more of a priority

*the hounds naturally go straight for the neck when they kill, so the foxes aren't ripped to pieces while they are still alive

Ok, so maybe the argument against it is valid too, but there are so many more important things to focus on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    The majority of people who believe fox hunting should be banned live in cities which says a lot.

Personally, why change the current system? Foxes are pests and must be controlled. Fox hunting achieves this. It's not broken, so what are people trying to fix?
    I honestly believe that the main reason so many people are anti-fox hunting has much less to do with the welfare of foxes than it does class envy.

They are pests and need to be culled accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    Your ignorance is quite astounding. Are you aware that if we allow animals such as the fox to become extinct, then in the long run the entire human civilisation could be under threat. It is a relatively unknown fact that if the common household bee was eradicated then it would lead to the distruction of mankind slowly. It may be difficult to understand this as we may think about these animals as useless and things which have no effect upon our day to day lives, but they do.
    dear god mate, dont blow a fuse.....
    and im not ignorant, but im sure that the human race will be long gone before the effects of foxunting comes back to bite us in the arse.... and have you ever actually seen a fox? they are horrible mangy creatures, adn im sure that if they had the chance to kill and eat you and your friends they wouldnt spare a thought to think about the effects on the environment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)

I do not live in a city, read my location.

So if they are pests why should we not let the natural cycle of the food chain run its course. Essentially what you are saying is that pests should be eradicated, so does that mean that all prisoners and convicted crimminals should be shot, as they are pest to society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    That seems like a lot of nonsense to me and I don't care which scientist hypothesized it. Good God, thousands of animals have become extinct over the last couple hundred years but I havn't noticed any real decline in the worlds human population as a result.

Poppycock!

ReputationRep:
    dear god mate, dont blow a fuse.....
    and im not ignorant, but im sure that the human race will be long gone before the effects of foxunting comes back to bite us in the arse.... and have you ever actually seen a fox? they are horrible mangy creatures, adn im sure that if they had the chance to kill and eat you and your friends they wouldnt spare a thought to think about the effects on the environment...
    I have seen many fox, i live close to the countryside. And I disagree with what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    The question stands on its own and has been argued perpetually, it has been argued in some severe cases in court, which has lead it to be taken to the Houses of Parliament to be discussed. My personal view on this subject has to be in favour of the anti-fox hunting society, because of the way I am sickened when I hear about foxes being slaughtered for sport, just imagine being shot because you have to steal something, to feed your children or to survive
    Some could argue that a fox could be bad for a farmers business because of the great damage it creates, because the latest figures show that 20% of a farmers poultry is taken annually by a fox, and this carnivore creates regular havoc at its local farm at least five times a week. However they may also say that 30% of their livestock go missing annually without being noticed. However this does not mean that this is a foxes work.
    That maybe all very well, but as a result of foxes taking a farmers livestock, it is virtually impossible for a fox being able to steal a feather, due to the increased security on a farm. However these days fox hunting is not just to 'protect a farmers business' but it is also looked upon as a sport. They also say that a fox helps a farmers business because of the ever increasing pests like rats, voles and other pests it exterminates annually
    The farmers however argue that these small animals such as rats ,voles and other animals are not already major threat to their businesses, and that the major threat is only a fox. They go on to say that it is due to a fox that most livestock die.
    As a result of this argument the anti- fox hunting society argues that most deaths on the farm are not due to the foxes, but to hypothermia and pneumonia. Latest figures also show that 10,000 foxes are slaughtered annually. As a result of these deaths, the cubs that lose their mothers and if they are not found by RSPCA or other animal care centre they starve to death or die of various different diseases.
    I conclude that the problem of fox hunting is not going to be solved for many years to come, but even still the option is wide open for someone to make a suggestion. Both arguments stand solidly, but even still I still believe against this vein ripping sport for human entertainment.
    now, could you please tell me why you posted this thread? i mean, youve already got your mind made up... what would you benefit by calling people ignorant for not believing that we're inadvertantly wiping oursleves out by killing a few mangy foxes.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you think 'city' folk would be happy if country people wanted to close nightclubs down because they encourage excessive drinking and drug taking?
    I don't think city folk would care. Why should it affect them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    I don't think city folk would care. Why should it affect them?
    are you city folk?

ReputationRep:
    now, could you please tell me why you posted this thread? i mean, youve already got your mind made up... what would you benefit by calling people ignorant for not believing that we're inadvertantly wiping oursleves out by killing a few mangy foxes.....
    I posted the thread for views, if nessasary I am entitled to call you ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)

So if they are pests why should we not let the natural cycle of the food chain run its course. Essentially what you are saying is that pests should be eradicated, so does that mean that all prisoners and convicted crimminals should be shot, as they are pest to society?
    It's not the natural food chain though. If it was the natural food chain foxes would probably have died out ages ago because they'd have eaten all the wild chickens... A farmers produce is specifically bred for a purpose, not to give the foxes something to eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    I posted the thread for views, if nessasary I am entitled to call you ignorant.
    fine, my view is that you are narrow-minded and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    are you city folk?
    No, but you are.

ReputationRep:
    fine, my view is that i am a jammy *******.
    OKKKKKKKKK.

ReputationRep:
    woah, i didnt say that, what the **** is going on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)

Notice the word "majority".

Why are you suggesting we should return to a natural cycle? Are you suggesting we also stop intensive farming and stop using pesticides and alike... so it is "natural"?

And no I'm not suggesting the eradication of pests. Merely their control through tried and tested methods.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.