Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    heh toshtrent, i was going to say it was EXTREMELY nerdy to break an opinion into pieces and analyse each one...but she'd just get grumpy for commenting on something other than fox hunting.
    Ah I am to please, lol.
    I think grumps are the only type of people who fox hunt/murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    ahhh okay then, yum yum.
    as vienna95 (your little pal) would say, has this turned into a debate about farmers now? why did you bring them up in the very FIRST place? stick to the fox hunting debate :0P
    Beacuse fox hunting is a countryside pursuit, having lived in a small village all my life I know exactly the argument for and against fox hunting. It is farming land the hunt crosses, it is like a group of people riding through your back garden.

As I have said before I am not actually in favour of fox hunting, but there is a lot more to it than the cruelty aspect, it is a way of life and a living for many thousands of people, just as bull fighting is in spain. Hunt sabboteurs think they are doing the right thing, and their right to protest is within their rights, however, they do actually do more harm than good, how many are actually there because they totally believe hunting should be banned and how many are there to cause trouble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Britain)
    Beacuse fox hunting is a countryside pursuit, having lived in a small village all my life I know exactly the argument for and against fox hunting. It is farming land the hunt crosses, it is like a group of people riding through your back garden.

As I have said before I am not actually in favour of fox hunting, but there is a lot more to it than the cruelty aspect, it is a way of life and a living for many thousands of people, just as bull fighting is in spain. Hunt sabboteurs think they are doing the right thing, and their right to protest is within their rights, however, they do actually do more harm than good, how many are actually there because they totally believe hunting should be banned and how many are there to cause trouble?
    i wouldnt bother continuing, since it is clear the argument is now dead and childish remarks have taken its rather sorry place. dont be disheartened, there are still a few more experienced members who are willing to discuss an issue properly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i wouldnt bother continuing, since it is clear the argument is now dead and childish remarks have taken its rather sorry place. dont be disheartened, there are still a few more experienced members who are willing to discuss an issue properly..
    Exactly, I am open to discussion and there are two sides to every argument. ****ging someone off because you are losing an argument or don't know what you are talking about is childish.

ReputationRep:
    Fox Hunting is sick and brutal and there is no excuse for it - aren't we supposed to be civilised ????
    It does nothing to cull numbers.
    Its not only the foxes that suffer, do you know what they do to the dogs?
    If a dog runs too fast, too slow, barks to much etc it is shot there and then - as the hunters like a nice hour long chase and dogs running to fast means they dont get it - barking scares off the potential kills. Also once a dog reaches about 4 years old its considered to old and usually shot. And do i need even mention the dogs that get killed on the traintracks and the horses with broken legs.
    I really cant see the fun in chasing a defensless animal until its exhausted and the dogs tear it to peices or it gets away and later dies of shock and exhaustion.
    I know all this happens - i have sabbotaged hunts and i know what goes on. Its sick and there is no excuse for it. To be honest i'd love to chase the hunters with fierce dogs and see how they like it.

ReputationRep:
    Hunt sabboteurs think they are doing the right thing, and their right to protest is within their rights, however, they do actually do more harm than good, how many are actually there because they totally believe hunting should be banned and how many are there to cause trouble?
    hm..im tempted to agree with this statement

ReputationRep:
    Good point - i think its differant for everyone - some are there to cause trouble but many are also genuine and work at saving lives for a living - i am speaking for myself here, i have spent years working in a wildlife sanctuary - voluntarily. I have hand-reared many fox cubs, hedgehogs, birds etc and believe that they have as much right to a life as we do. They are living creatures with feelings?

Tell me - do any of you have pets? now imagine your pet being chased and torn apart - doe sthe thought of the terror and pain in just thinking of what your pet would go through? is it to hard to picture? i know i cant picture that happening to mine - its no differant to killing a fox, a living creature with feelings. there is no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauraakafoxy)
    i think everyone in hunting would disagree with this.

If a dog runs too fast, too slow, barks to much etc it is shot there and then -
    where on earth did you get this from?

as the hunters like a nice hour long chase and dogs running to fast means they dont get it - barking scares off the potential kills. Also once a dog reaches about 4 years old its considered to old and usually shot. And do i need even mention the dogs that get killed on the traintracks and the horses with broken legs.
    a dog is not put down, it is just retired from hunting when it becomes too old. most hunters are both animal-lovers and pet-owners. horses with broken legs, thats purely because of hunting? honestly, where are you getting this fiction?

ReputationRep:
    doe sthe thought of the terror and pain in just thinking of what your pet would go through? is it to hard to picture? i know i cant picture that happening to mine - its no differant to killing a fox, a living creature with feelings. there is no excuse.
    doe sthe thought of the terror and pain in just thinking of what your pet would go through? is it to hard to picture? i know i cant picture that happening to mine - its no differant to killing a chicken, a living creature with feelings. there is no excuse

ReputationRep:
    personnel experience

ReputationRep:
    personnel experience
    forgive me if i dont take it to be cast-iron in the case of this argument.

ReputationRep:
    Fox Hunting is sick and brutal and there is no excuse for it - aren't we supposed to be civilised ????
    Yes, we are. That's why we use trained hounds to hunt rather than a bow and arrow.
    (Original post by Lauraakafoxyy)
    :confused: So why do you bother moaning if no foxes are being killed?
    Its not only the foxes that suffer, do you know what they do to the dogs?If a dog runs too fast, too slow, barks to much etc it is shot there and then - as the hunters like a nice hour long chase and dogs running to fast means they dont get it - barking scares off the potential kills. Also once a dog reaches about 4 years old its considered to old and usually shot. And do i need even mention the dogs that get killed on the traintracks and the horses with broken legs.
    I doubt this happens anywhere near as much as you seem to be claiming. Horses and hounds are very valuable to hunters. Maybe we should get rid of train tracks and hedges altogether so there's no risk of anything ever getting injured or killed.:rolleyes:
    I know all this happens - i have sabbotaged hunts and i know what goes on. Its sick and there is no excuse for it. To be honest i'd love to chase the hunters with fierce dogs and see how they like it.
    Yeah, I bet you'd be well p*ssed off though if someone sabbotaged you when you were chasing the hunters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yes, we are. That's why we use trained hounds to hunt rather than a bow and arrow.
    :confused: So why do you bother moaning if no foxes are being killed?
    I doubt this happens anywhere near as much as you seem to be claiming. Horses and hounds are very valuable to hunters. Maybe we should get rid of train tracks and hedges altogether so there's no risk of anything ever getting injured or killed.:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I bet you'd be well p*ssed off though if someone sabbotaged you when you were chasing the hunters.
    Excellent point. The previous post about train tracks is irellevant. It is actually illegal to trespass accross train tracks and the police will prosecute any one that does, so why would a hunt be there in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent point. The previous post about train tracks is irellevant. It is actually illegal to trespass accross train tracks and the police will prosecute any one that does, so why would a hunt be there in the first place?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hehehe look its always the geeky pro fox hunting people that pick apart opinions and analyse each separate statement, what is it with these people? :0P
    oi, vienna95, u seriously think fox hunters would keep foxhounds/whatever dogs they choose to use to hunt alive until they get old and die? doubt it lovey! there might be a lacking of space for one thing...! also, if they don't kill them when they are useless to use hunting, why is one of the pro fox hunting main arguments 'if fox hunting is banned we will have to kill the hounds because there is no room for them', hmm...slightly contradictory to your point that hunters don't put the dogs to sleep that are too old/useless to hunt, wouldn't you say?
    why don't you guys check out www.league.uk.com to see what they say about fox hunting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    hehehe look its always the geeky pro fox hunting people that pick apart opinions and analyse each separate statement, what is it with these people?
    that sounds like the dying come-back of someone who knows he's been out-argued.. would you like to sum up your anti-hunting arguments for our benefit then, since we're obviously so geeky that we've missed your points!

ReputationRep:
    Random point. Anti-hunters talk about the fox's perception of pain and suffering BUT a large number of scientists who study animal behaviour believe that they appear not to anticipate their possible death.
    They also seem not to be tortured by being chased. A recent study at an american university has good reason to assume that their genes, together with inherited and acquired learning, have adapted them to the chase.
    This is still subjective, though, and can not be used as a solid argument 'For' fox hunting until it becomes possible for a human being to know objectively what a fox is thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Random point. Anti-hunters talk about the fox's perception of pain and suffering BUT a large number of scientists who study animal behaviour believe that they appear not to anticipate their possible death.
    They also seem not to be tortured by being chased. A recent study at an american university has good reason to assume that their genes, together with inherited and acquired learning, have adapted them to the chase.
    This is still subjective, though, and can not be used as a solid argument 'For' fox hunting until it becomes possible for a human being to know objectively what a fox is thinking.
    Very random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Very random.
    Well, it is sort of relevant considering the thread starter called the act of fox hunting 'barbaric'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Well, it is sort of relevant considering the thread starter called the act of fox hunting 'barbaric'.
    I know. I'm just pissing around!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.