Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    :rolleyes: I know - I was taking the micky. If you are re-incarnated though wouldn't coming back as a fox be a huge step down?
    lol, to be reincarnated as a fox you must have done something REAL bad, poor little buggers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    The above can be applied to many humans in the world in which we live. Maybe we should deal with that fact (a real, genuine problem clear for all to see) before we start protecting the pests that are foxes.
    you know it's so annoying when people say stuff like that? it's like people are trying to say that you are only allowed to talk about and discuss things that are happening to humans, and if you feel so strongly about it, why aren't you out there dealing with "the real, genuine problem clear for all to see"..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    you know it's so annoying when people say stuff like that? it's like people are trying to say that you are only allowed to talk about and discuss things that are happening to humans, and if you feel so strongly about it, why aren't you out there dealing with "the real, genuine problem clear for all to see"..
    How do you know I'm not? I may be giving a lot of my disposable income to various charities aiming to help the vulnerable in the world in which we live. Please don't be so quick to take cheap shots.

Regardless of it being annoying, it's true. Fox hunting works. It always has, and unless the current supposedly socially liberal government changes it, it always will.

Personally I feel the argument revolves around class. People hate the concept of class, and many people feel the class system is outdated and should be removed. The same people see fox hunting as a class issue. It isn't. I'd also like to point out that class and wealth are totally different things.

Regards,
    Ed

ReputationRep:
    How do you know I'm not? I may be giving a lot of my disposable income to various charities aiming to help the vulnerable in the world in which we live. Please don't be so quick to take cheap shots.

Regardless of it being annoying, it's true. Fox hunting works. It always has, and unless the current supposedly socially liberal government changes it, it always will.

Personally I feel the argument revolves around class. People hate the concept of class, and many people feel the class system is outdated and should be removed. The same people see fox hunting as a class issue. It isn't. I'd also like to point out that class and wealth are totally different things.

Regards,
    Ed
    How many people fox hunt?
    And how many foxes on average gets killed? (per hunt?)

Some general questions here to throw to the forum.

ReputationRep:
    my reason for disagreeing with fox hunting has nothing to do with class. i really don't see how you can think that, as it is not as it used to be. it is not just the upper class people going out and doing it, i think that all the people i know who do it are working class. i really don't know where you get your ideas from, but if people disagree with fox hunting, then it usually is to do with the welfare of foxes rather than holding a grudge against the fact that it used to be a 'sport' carried out by mainly upper class people. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    How many people fox hunt?
    And how many foxes on average gets killed? (per hunt?)

Some general questions here to throw to the forum.
    There are about 330 hunts in the UK.

In most hunts 1 or 0 foxes are killed as they often escape.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=riffraff]
    secondly- if, as you say, fox hunting is not a cruel sport, then where does it differ from other blood sports? pastimes such as **** fighting and bear baiting were banned ages ago because it was felt that those sports were cruel.
    QUOTE]

I never said anythoing about fox hunting not being cruel.

I think though that fox hunting is very different from **** fighting or bear baiting. These sports did absolutely nothing beneficial and were undoubtedly cruel not only in the actual fights but also in the keeping and 'training' of the animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    There are about 330 hunts in the UK.

In most hunts 1 or 0 foxes are killed as they often escape.
    I'm guessing that is per year? Or maybe month.

If it is per year, or even per month, then it is a tad too inefficient for controlling the fox population.

If it is 330 hunts per week, then it might be the right amount. 330/day would be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    There are 330 fox hunting groups in the UK and in one day of hunting each group would expect to kill 1 at the most 2 foxes.

I do not know how often the groups meet but it s estimated that 15000 foxes are killed each year by fox hunts.

ReputationRep:
    So around 45 fox per group per year.

Which amounts to around 1 per week per group.

Is that effective? Is that not effective? Hmm, maybe a computer model of the additional foxes can only tell.

ReputationRep:
    i remember looking at a random bar chart ages ago, and it had the main ways in which foxes died each year, and it was a surprisingly small population that were killed each year in hunts, suggesting that it is quite ineffective. but as i can't remember where i saw it, or the other ways in which the foxes died, i'm quite an unreliable source, maybe i was even dreaming...who knows?
    ed, you said that we should spend our time looking out for humans that have troubles rather than posting our views on a debate&discussion forum, and when i asked why you weren't out dealing with that problem you asked how i knew that you weren't, and said that you might be giving to charity, well how do you know i am also not giving to charity? for someone to care about foxes usually means that they care about humans aswell, just because someone disagrees with fox hunting doesn't mean they can't be giving to charity or trying to help with all the awful things happening in the world.

Please don't be so quick to take cheap shots.
    hah my friend, maybe you should think before you type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Foxes are very quick and quite small you know. Even if you had the best sniper in the world they would not kill the fox every time. There would be many cases of foxes being hit but not killed, causing a lot of suffering.
    foxes are not excessively small (I have a family of foxes in my back garden and I have often observed them), and a trained sniper could hit one within 50 yards (it is easy to get within that distance if you are careful).

(Original post by Amb1)
    Also with a hunt, the weaker/older members of the fox population are more likely to be the ones to be chased.
    umm- why are you so concerned with keeping the fox population healthy if one of your main reasons for hunting is to protect the farmers' chickens?

If you just got someone to shoot at a fox when they saw it how are they to know whether it is a healthy vixen that's just given birth to a litter of pups? If you shoot and kill that one it would be more cruel to more foxes.
    how do you know that when you go hunting?

ReputationRep:
    So you've established that fox hunting isn't effective at reducing the population of foxes... one fox per week per group? Not very effective...
    I'd like to point out that building higher fences probably wouldn't work, as I'm sure a fox is clever enough to tunnel under a fence, still gaining access to whatever the fence is supposed to be protecting.
    Shooting is surely less cruel than chasing a fox for a long distance, completely and utterly exhausting it, then letting a large group of hounds tear it apart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)

I never said anythoing about fox hunting not being cruel.

I think though that fox hunting is very different from **** fighting or bear baiting. These sports did absolutely nothing beneficial and were undoubtedly cruel not only in the actual fights but also in the keeping and 'training' of the animals.
    these sports were beneficial to humans for entertainment value and economically as they generated revenue for the organisers.

according to pro foxhunting arguments, fox-hunting is beneficial to farmers as it reduces the money they lose from their chickens being eaten.

where is the difference?

ReputationRep:
    All hunting is cruel in its own way. But in some places it is needed. I live in the Western NY country side. Here you cannot drive down the road without having a fox run out in front of you, or a deer. And that is very dangerous. We must have hunting to regulate the population of some more hazardous animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    All hunting is cruel in its own way. But in some places it is needed. I live in the Western NY country side. Here you cannot drive down the road without having a fox run out in front of you, or a deer. And that is very dangerous. We must have hunting to regulate the population of some more hazardous animals.
    like drivers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    like drivers?
    lol, good point.. for that we have the fuzz.. .. and for them we have DONUTS!

ReputationRep:
    lol, good point.. for that we have the fuzz.. .. and for them we have DONUTS!
    hehe- some hacker went onto a police website and changed it so it read-

do not bother to contact us: we are too busy eating donuts, drinking coffee and jacking off

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    ha ha ha how great.. I have these bumper stickes.. they are hilarious..
    1-Bad Cop No Donut
    2-DARE.. Donut Abuse Resistance Education
    DARE to keep cops off donuts.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    ha ha ha how great.. I have these bumper stickes.. they are hilarious..
    1-Bad Cop No Donut
    2-DARE.. Donut Abuse Resistance Education
    DARE to keep cops off donuts.
    rofl

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.