Turn on thread page Beta

Fox hunting is barbaric and should be banned. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    Strict vegetarians do not. I'd define a vegetarian as someone who did not eat meat or fish, as they are against the principle of killing animals for food. A vegan does not eat any animal products at all.
    But Poltry and Fish aren't considered meats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    3's a crowd!

Anyway I take your point about it being a type of benifit, but not one I would think is enough. At least with fox hunting the benefit - fewer chickens / lambs etc being viciously mauled and torn apart by foxes (if you'll excuse the description) - might be seen to outweigh the cost - foxes being killed by whatever means.
    hmm- I read this report that actually foxes go for the neck- and that it is dogs, rather than foxes which attack the soft underbelly of an animal.

the report also stated that foxes very rarely attacked lambs- preferring to take away the still born. this is because lambs generally stay with their mother, and an ewe is much bigger than a fox.

conversely- the report indicated that fox hunting had the positive effect of mixing up the foxes' territories, so there were more, smaller territories and thus more foxes could survive in one area.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/munkeyb...ite.page4.html

ReputationRep:
    lol drago, some vegetarians may say 'oh yes, i can still eat poultry and fish' but isn't that kinda going against why you are a veggie in the first place? well, if you do it for the ethical reason anyway. NUMBNUTS :0P

ReputationRep:
    Hey boys I gtg.. Its dinner time.. lol. I should be back in about.. an hour and a half or so. So don't get to far ahead of me.. Or I won't be able to join this.. REALLY interesting discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarianism doesn't mean simply those who don't eat meat. I'm no expert here, but I believe it is those who consider vegetables (and fruits) the only ethical forms of food, i.e., they are against killing creatures for food. This would include meats, fish, poultry, insects, anything living. I don't believe all vegetarians follow the same definition though. Some do eat fish and poultry, it's a matter of beliefs. It's incorrect to say all vegetarians can eat fish and poultry, those who I know cannot.
    But those that I know do. Its all in ethics you are right. INSECTS!! taking it a little bit to far there!

ReputationRep:
    i agree interior. what's the point in believing it's wrong to kill a cow, or a pig for food, and then think it's okay to kill chickens, turkeys or fish? what's the logic in that? i think it's quite silly. i don't think it's taking it too far to say that some vegetarians can't eat insects. they are creatures too right? i wouldn't ever eat an insect, even if it was dipped in chocolate! :0P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    wow riff you really know your gherkins!
    you are a hippy? GLAD TO HEAR IT! still, you can't terrorise me...cause errr.. cause umm... i could make you smell my socks..yes.
    I can terrorise anyone bwahahahaha *releases shower of old socks in Dill's general direction*

the evil hippy strikes again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    i agree interior. what's the point in believing it's wrong to kill a cow, or a pig for food, and then think it's okay to kill chickens, turkeys or fish? what's the logic in that? i think it's quite silly. i don't think it's taking it too far to say that some vegetarians can't eat insects. they are creatures too right? i wouldn't ever eat an insect, even if it was dipped in chocolate! :0P
    true- but what about the cows? for a cow to produce milk, it must calve. because of how dairy cows are bred, male calves are no use for beef or leather- so they are generally sold as veal.

currently I am a vegetarian, but I am becoming vegen with the exception of eggs (chickens are the only bird who repeatedly lay eggs out of season and doing so does not harm them) when I leave home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    currently I am a vegetarian, but I am becoming vegen with the exception of eggs (chickens are the only bird who repeatedly lay eggs out of season and doing so does not harm them) when I leave home.
    True, however when producing these hens who are going to be used for 'egg laying' their subsequent brothers are all killed as they are not needed. i.e. like with the dairy cattle - the male calves are not needed so are killed. Hence why vegans are against eating eggs as well.

ReputationRep:
    wow, this is a really good debate on...errr... vegetarianism.... thought it was about foxes? ah well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    ed, you said that we should spend our time looking out for humans that have troubles rather than posting our views on a debate&discussion forum, and when i asked why you weren't out dealing with that problem you asked how i knew that you weren't, and said that you might be giving to charity, well how do you know i am also not giving to charity? for someone to care about foxes usually means that they care about humans aswell, just because someone disagrees with fox hunting doesn't mean they can't be giving to charity or trying to help with all the awful things happening in the world.

hah my friend, maybe you should think before you type.
    If you give to charity then terrific, thats a good thing. However your post above changes nothing. You took a cheap shot saying words to the effect of "if you care so much why not do something". It just so happened I do try and do my own small thing to help.

I never once disputed the fact that you may give money to charity. You seem to think I did, for which I apologise.

Going back to my original post my point was this. IMO it shouldn't be an issue about how we treat the vermin that foxes are. If they are being controlled, why change anything. Even less why make a issue out of it, when we all have far more pressing issues to contend with. You may not agree with the above which is fine. Variety is the spice of life.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, chocolate dipped grasshoppers are quite the delicacy in some places.
    Obviously they are. I've tried them. But I would consider them insects.. and just that. They have no meat in them.. merely.. guts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    True, however when producing these hens who are going to be used for 'egg laying' their subsequent brothers are all killed as they are not needed. i.e. like with the dairy cattle - the male calves are not needed so are killed. Hence why vegans are against eating eggs as well.
    You all are proving a point here yes, BUT you are missing the fact that these animals that we are talking about are bred for the sole purpose of making food for humans.. if we do not eat them then there would be no need for them.. and hence they would not be bred.. and hence.. would cease to exist.

ReputationRep:
    yeah riff, i'm a veggie and i'd REALLY like to become a vegan. i've been a veggie for like errr... <counts> about 7 years (since year 5) but i find it really hard to stop drinking milk, or eating eggs, or eating any dairy products because i find them incredibly yummy! (apart from eggs) i will be able to one day, i'm sure. i think i would just find it really hard aswell because i am SO fussy, and i really wouldn't know what to eat! i wish they had more leather substitutes, for shoes&bags, it's just really annoying, hmph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Going back to my original post my point was this. IMO it shouldn't be an issue about how we treat the vermin that foxes are. If they are being controlled, why change anything. Even less why make a issue out of it, when we all have far more pressing issues to contend with. You may not agree with the above which is fine. Variety is the spice of life.
    I do see what you mean, don't get me wrong, I really do. And yes it would all be very boring if everyone agreed and everyone had the same view on EVERYTHING. It's just the way I am, I find it really hard to understand how people can't care about different animals, ones that aren't human that is. I mean, they can't speak out about anything, I think it is important that some humans speak out about animal rights, else no one would care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    I do see what you mean, don't get me wrong, I really do. And yes it would all be very boring if everyone agreed and everyone had the same view on EVERYTHING. It's just the way I am, I find it really hard to understand how people can't care about different animals, ones that aren't human that is. I mean, they can't speak out about anything, I think it is important that some humans speak out about animal rights, else no one would care.
    Don't you find it ridiculous that with all the social issues in this country, and the appalling conditions endured by millions outside it, thousands of Britons donates millions and millions of pounds to the RSPCA, RSPCB etc? I've nothing against animals, I support the legislation in place against cruelty to them. I just think it's crazy to worry about animals when there are people suffering some of the incredible evils of this world.

ReputationRep:
    i think both animals and people are in need of help. (some)humans and (some)animals suffer cruelty in this world, they both need a lot of help, why can't both be helped? there are a lot of charities to help humans aswell you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    i think both animals and people are in need of help. (some)humans and (some)animals suffer cruelty in this world, they both need a lot of help, why can't both be helped? there are a lot of charities to help humans aswell you know.
    The reason both can't be helped is that there isn't enough money to go round, by a long shot. Every penny which helps fight for animals right is a penny which isn't going to help provide clean water to those who lack it, or anti-viral drugs to AIDS sufferers.

Could give money to an animal charity in the knowledge that giving it to an AIDS or Wateraid charity would benfit humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    live a little. when you grow out of it, youll look back and chuckle and regret that you didnt enjoy life. your also doing your body a great deal of damage by cutting so many sources of natural nutrients out of your diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Don't you find it ridiculous that with all the social issues in this country, and the appalling conditions endured by millions outside it, thousands of Britons donates millions and millions of pounds to the RSPCA, RSPCB etc? I've nothing against animals, I support the legislation in place against cruelty to them. I just think it's crazy to worry about animals when there are people suffering some of the incredible evils of this world.
    True enough, BUT people are no better than animals. Tell me.. What life processes do we do differently than them? We reproduce, transport, respiration.. etc. So what makes us better? The simple fact that we have apposeable thumbs? Or that we are capable of a "higher level of thought?" Neither.. if animals ruled this world do you think there would be war?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.