Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tis a job for the self to decide what is regretable or not... I get the feeling not eating meat isn't something to regret... Killing an animal whether it be human or otherwise is regrettable, as it is taking something/someone elses life into our own hands...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Tis a job for the self to decide what is regretable or not... I get the feeling not eating meat isn't something to regret... Killing an animal whether it be human or otherwise is regrettable, as it is taking something/someone elses life into our own hands...
    Have you ever read the book "Lord of the Flies?" It expresses the lust for life. I recommend it. Even though I hated it personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Have you ever read the book "Lord of the Flies?" It expresses the lust for life. I recommend it. Even though I hated it personally.
    I have to say I haven't... Who's the author?

ReputationRep:
    yes vienna, i really don't think it is your place to tell anyone if they are enjoying life or not. especially since you don't even know me in real life! i shall never regret being a vegetarian, and i can never imagine me eating meat when i grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I have to say I haven't... Who's the author?
    argh! I'm sorry.. I can't remember.. But if you want me to I can find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    argh! I'm sorry.. I can't remember.. But if you want me to I can find out.
    Nevermind... I'd probably end up reading the first half and leaving it anyway! I've been reading Crime and Punishment for about a year now..... I really should finish that......

ReputationRep:
    wasn't William Golding the author of Lord of the Flies? I might be wrong! i have always wanted to read that, but never got round to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    wasn't William Golding the author of Lord of the Flies? I might be wrong! i have always wanted to read that, but never got round to it.
    I think you're right. But if I hadn't been made to read the book I wouldn't have. I hated it. Found it very boring. And thats a big thing for me because I am a book worm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Nevermind... I'd probably end up reading the first half and leaving it anyway! I've been reading Crime and Punishment for about a year now..... I really should finish that......
    I can't do that. I have to finish a book or I feel weird. But thats just me. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i start a book, then start another, then another, so i have like 5 books on the run at one time. i don't know why, i think i have a short attention span, and need a different story very quickly to keep me occupied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    i start a book, then start another, then another, so i have like 5 books on the run at one time. i don't know why, i think i have a short attention span, and need a different story very quickly to keep me occupied.
    What kind of books do you like to read? Because I bet I know a few that could keep your attention.. oh and your age would be a good thing to help me decide on which I could recommend to you.

ReputationRep:
    i like all different genre's, seriously, oh, apart from pride&prejudice sort of stuff, and charles dickens sort of stuff, and william shakespeare, but i doubt you would recommend me anything like that...right? i want something a bit different, something you know, with a bit of a twist. im 17 by the way. i have to go RIGHT NOW but i shall look later what you recommend! damn id say some books that i personally think are very good but i can't remember any, and i have such a bad memory, argh i g2g, see ya laterrrr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    i like all different genre's, seriously, oh, apart from pride&prejudice sort of stuff, and charles dickens sort of stuff, and william shakespeare, but i doubt you would recommend me anything like that...right? i want something a bit different, something you know, with a bit of a twist. im 17 by the way. i have to go RIGHT NOW but i shall look later what you recommend! damn id say some books that i personally think are very good but i can't remember any, and i have such a bad memory, argh i g2g, see ya laterrrr

Do you like fantasy, or are you more of a realistic person?
    R.A.Salvatore is an excellent fantasy writer.. he does the older "Forgotten Realms" books. excellent those. Then there is Tamora Pierce, who is an excellent childrens author. How about Hemingway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    True, however when producing these hens who are going to be used for 'egg laying' their subsequent brothers are all killed as they are not needed. i.e. like with the dairy cattle - the male calves are not needed so are killed. Hence why vegans are against eating eggs as well.
    depends where you get them from- the chickens I get my eggs from are err- very free range etc. the guy isn't a professional farmer so he doesn't kill male chicks etc. he keeps the chickens as a hobby rather than a livelihood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i think its difficult to say just vitamins.
    ie. many vegetarians cite that they can obtain protein from other sources than red meat, but are you really sure you arent missing out on anything else other than what we have identified?
    I am completely sure I miss nothing from following a vegetarian diet- I have talked many times with my GP (also vegetarian) about which foods to eat etc. in fact, since I've become vegetarian I've found that my overall health has improved, especially in areas such as complexion and general fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    If you really believe that, than our approaches to life are so funadmentally different that discussing this topic is pointless.

In response to your questions: Because we are conscious, our life amount to more than eating and reproducing. Hence preserving human life, and allowing it to prosper, is considerably more important.

Your last comment is just ridiculous. Animals fight all the time. Literally, they almost never stop fighting. For many of them, their whole way of living and body is designed to be an efficient killing machine (you could not say the same of humans)
    efficient killing machines are not just those with larger muscles- larger brains and the ability to use tools and communicate are much more effective weapons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)

By the way: Is it morally wrong to squash a spider which is scaring your son/little brother?
    yes- why should a living creature die because your sibling is pathetic? let them grow out of their fear by leaving it alone- kinder to both parties in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    I loved that book! keep reading- it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Shooting is surely less cruel than chasing a fox for a long distance, completely and utterly exhausting it, then letting a large group of hounds tear it apart?
    for the last time!! the fox is NOT ripped apart!!

ReputationRep:
    i'll have to check those authors out drag! thanks.
    aww riff sounds cool

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.