Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    So why does hunting have to be got rid of and not the roads + railways? I can't be bothered arguing about this anyway - it's a seperate issue to banning hunting for the welfare of foxes, which is what this debate is about.
    because roads and railways benefit many more people than fox hunting.

if you want to talk about the welfare of foxes then fine- I have no objection to debating with on that issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    it is hardly a reason to get rid of the latter- advances in technology have helped us to save millions of lives and improve the quality of life for billions more. besides- if controlling the fox population is such an issue- then we should keep the roads as they kill far more foxes a year than fox hunting. :rolleyes:
    i think amb was merely pointing out that these deaths are unfortunate but your only course of action is to end transportation all together, a ridiculous suggestion that he/she is well aware. i dont believe he/she thought you would take it quite so literally...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    erm, read the post?
    I have- you spealt "effects" wrong- it should be spelt "affects"

ReputationRep:
    because roads and railways benefit many more people than fox hunting.
    But roads and railways also kill and injure many people all over the country, fox hunting doesn't.
    *Damn, got sucked in!!*
    (Original post by vienna)
    i think amb was merely pointing out that these deaths are unfortunate but your only course of action is to end transportation all together, a ridiculous suggestion that he/she is well aware. i dont believe he/she thought you would take it quite so literally...
    Cheers vienna.

ReputationRep:
    why not? this debate is a farce as it is- I don't see how taking anything literally makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    But roads and railways also kill and injure many people all over the country, fox hunting doesn't.
    *Damn, got sucked in!!*
    haha roflmao. yes- they are also useful for controlling the human population as well

ReputationRep:
    I have- you spealt "effects" wrong- it should be spelt "affects"
    spealt..?

ReputationRep:
    haha roflmao. yes- they are also useful for controlling the human population as well
    Ah, so you agree that populations should be controlled.

ReputationRep:
    spealt..?
    how very ironic- i conceed the point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Ah, so you agree that populations should be controlled.
    in proportion to the size of the population yes

ReputationRep:
    Amb1 talked about how hunters help the countryside because they plant trees&hedges : \ so i merely stated a few incidents that has occurred due to fox hunting. seems to me that the hunters find it hard to control the dogs, i mean, i doubt they would actually let the the dogs wander onto railways and let them be killed. and if they can't control their dogs when they are in a huge pack wandering round the countryside, what else could happen? how very irresponsible i hear myself thinking! :0P
    what a silly silly silly thing to suggest! keep fox hunting over roads&railways? think most people would find it quite a problem getting around, and i'm quite sure the economy would fail. when people start saying that we should not get rid of the former (fox hunting) and scrap the latter instead, (roads and railways!!!!) you know their argument has gone down the drain.
    oh...and what do you suggest about foxhounds trespassing on people's own property or private land that some people wish not to have the hunters on, and causing havoc there, and maybe even killing a pet? get rid of the houses and private land?....
    i feel that this part of the discussion is relevant, as we are discussing whether fox hunting should be banned or not, and if the dogs are unable to be kept under control, and cause havoc on roads, railways&peoples property, it suggests to me that it's not a very 'responsible' way of killing foxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    Amb1 talked about how hunters help the countryside because they plant trees&hedges : \
    That wasn't me btw.
    (Original post by Dill)
    the hunters find it hard to control the dogs
    demonstrating that they are not domesticated pet dogs - as I was trying to say earlier.
    (Original post by Dill)
    keep fox hunting over roads&railways? think most people would find it quite a problem getting around, and i'm quite sure the economy would fail. their argument has gone down the drain.
    It was anti-hunting people who first mentioned the roads and railways. I don't think this section of the argument was intended to be taken so literally! But it does demonstrate that there are advantages and disadvantages to everything, regardless of scale and the number of people effected.
    (Original post by Dill)
    oh...and what do you suggest about foxhounds trespassing on people's own property or private land that some people wish not to have the hunters on, and causing havoc there, and maybe even killing a pet? get rid of the houses and private land?....
    Well, as someone else suggested earlier about keeping foxes off the land, just build a massive great big electric fence around the property!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    Amb1 talked about how hunters help the countryside because they plant trees&hedges : \ so i merely stated a few incidents that has occurred due to fox hunting. seems to me that the hunters find it hard to control the dogs, i mean, i doubt they would actually let the the dogs wander onto railways and let them be killed. and if they can't control their dogs when they are in a huge pack wandering round the countryside, what else could happen? how very irresponsible i hear myself thinking! :0P
    what a silly silly silly thing to suggest! keep fox hunting over roads&railways? think most people would find it quite a problem getting around, and i'm quite sure the economy would fail. when people start saying that we should not get rid of the former (fox hunting) and scrap the latter instead, (roads and railways!!!!) you know their argument has gone down the drain.
    i feel that this part of the discussion is relevant, as we are discussing whether fox hunting should be banned or not, and if the dogs are unable to be kept under control, and cause havoc on roads, railways&peoples property, it suggests to me that it's not a very 'responsible' way of killing foxes.
    weve already discussed the context of the 'railways' point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    demonstrating that they are not domesticated pet dogs - as I was trying to say earlier.
    I have a dog

It is domesticated

It is a pet

It is not controllable

It may only be a wee highland terrier, so not quite as rampant as your average hunting hound, but in no way shape or form is it controllable.

Leads were invented for this reason.

And yes, I realise that a pack of hounds can't be kept on leads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    one of my au-pair's friends was attacked by a man's pet dog- it attacked her throat without provocation and she had to be hospitalised. that was a PET dog- wasn't controllable though.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I've just noticed something.... I got bad rep for this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    :eek: I've just noticed something.... I got bad rep for this thread
    check again

ReputationRep:
    check again
    wow, THANK YOU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    wow, THANK YOU
    hehe- thanks for joining the vampire thing btw

ReputationRep:
    hehe- thanks for joining the vampire thing btw
    lol, i already had before now, believe it or not!! I got intruiged by your hyperlink so clicked on it... I suddenly realised I'd forgotten the password for my previous vimpire, so I joined again!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.