Turn on thread page Beta

Fox hunting is barbaric and should be banned. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Notice Cyst chose not to comment on the above...
    or comment about mine either...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Notice Cyst chose not to comment on the above...
    Or mine!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm little contradictory when it comes to animal rights and fox hunting. I'm opposed to fox hunting for a number of reasons.

1. I loved the Roald Dahl story 'Fantastic Mr Fox' as a young lad.

2. Fox hunting is highly ineffective at catching foxes

3. It isn't an acceptable way to kill an animal. When other animals are killed there are strict rules to follow or people can be prosecuted.

4. I don't like seeing rich country people having fun. Where I come from in Northamptonshire there are too many rich people having fun.

5. People seem undecided as to whether it is a sport or an effective way of controlling the problem. Firstly, isn't going around on a horse with lots of dogs giving the fox a bit of a disadvantage. Secondly, the fox isn't always caught.

ReputationRep:
    I come from Devon and disapprove of this "blood sport" but recognise the need for fox numebrs to be kept down. WHy torture the animal when you could just shoot it? I hate seeing the red coats, the slavering dogs, the bugles etc. It's hardly civilised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I come from Devon and disapprove of this "blood sport" but recognise the need for fox numebrs to be kept down. WHy torture the animal when you could just shoot it? I hate seeing the red coats, the slavering dogs, the bugles etc. It's hardly civilised.
    Foxes are pretty quick and it's quite difficult to get a fatal shot. Shooting them usually gives them a nice open bullet wound but doesn't kill them, just causes them to suffer - so it's actually rather cruel doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Foxes are pretty quick and it's quite difficult to get a fatal shot. Shooting them usually gives them a nice open bullet wound but doesn't kill them, just causes them to suffer - so it's actually rather cruel doing that.
    It causes less suffering if they are savaged by hounds does it?

ReputationRep:
    I live in one of the few parts of the south east that haven't been turned into simply lots of buildings.
    My father shoots, and is very much into the countryside sort of thing.
    I don't share his enthusiasm, but i have been out with him before when shooting.
    I have been taught by this experience that if you do kill an animal, it is only right not to let it suffer.
    I disagree with killing animals on the whole, but thats a different matter.
    I agree that some sort of measures have to be taken to ensure no rapid growth in fox numbers.
    But, fox hunting is not the best way of doing this.
    As this is so, it brings the question whether the fox hunting is not primarily for this use, and is just for posh people to have fun.
    And this statement i find hard to contest with at all, because it is true.
    If foxes are to be killed, do it humanely, not in this ruthless and barbaric way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    I live in one of the few parts of the south east that haven't been turned into simply lots of buildings.
    My father shoots, and is very much into the countryside sort of thing.
    I don't share his enthusiasm, but i have been out with him before when shooting.
    I have been taught by this experience that if you do kill an animal, it is only right not to let it suffer.
    I disagree with killing animals on the whole, but thats a different matter.
    I agree that some sort of measures have to be taken to ensure no rapid growth in fox numbers.
    But, fox hunting is not the best way of doing this.
    As this is so, it brings the question whether the fox hunting is not primarily for this use, and is just for posh people to have fun.
    And this statement i find hard to contest with at all, because it is true.
    If foxes are to be killed, do it humanely, not in this ruthless and barbaric way.
    its not just posh people though is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    The hounds go straight for the neck/throat. It's like watching lions kill their prey, it all happens really quickly.

ReputationRep:

Firstly, isn't going around on a horse with lots of dogs giving the fox a bit of a disadvantage. Secondly, the fox isn't always caught.

in answer to the first sentence - not at all, since a load of horses blundering around are much less nimble than a fox

the second sentence - thats very true, hence the fact that it is a good replacement for natural selection (as foxes have no natural predators)

please read the earlier posts - they are not savaged

(Original post by iluvatar)
    and is just for posh people to have fun.
    im not posh and i hunt, and a lot of the people that hunt are also not posh at all but struggle to afford their horses.. i admit there must be some very posh areas.. but it just depends where you live. admitedly (sp?) hunting is seen as the posh rich mans sport.. but this is now rarely the case. also - as i said earlier, shooting foxes is very hit and miss so its the choice between attempting to shoot the fox, which leaves a high chance of it not being killed instantly, but rather, receiving a fatal but not instant death injury, or allow a kind of man-made natural selection process to control the numbers with dogs which kill by attacking the throat of the fox, therefore killing it fairly instantaneously.

sorry to jammyd and iluvatar!- i completely acknowledge and respect your views on it. im just trying to answer some of your points.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think and don't paticularly care if foxhunting is barbaric or not - they're only foxes. What I do object to is that it is continually referred to as a sport by those who do it, it is not a sport. A sport is where u hae two teams of equal size who agree to participate in competition. Both know dangers and possible consequences and agree to them. Football is a sport, boxing is a sport, foxhunting isn't.

ReputationRep:
    More credit should be given to city dwellers when it comes to their knowledge and perception of foxes. In case you didn't hear, they survive very well in the inner city, and you can see them everywhere if you go out at dusk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    More credit should be given to city dwellers when it comes to their knowledge and perception of foxes. In case you didn't hear, they survive very well in the inner city, and you can see them everywhere if you go out at dusk.
    They're a pest in the city too, ripping bin bags apart and stuff. The mangy scavengers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quinnbrakes)
    its not just posh people though is it.
    Well fox hunting seems to be.
    I am not aware of many people who aren't in that sort of social class and mindset that participate in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    They're a pest in the city too, ripping bin bags apart and stuff. The mangy scavengers!
    I see them all the time and they never really cause me any trouble. Why would you leave your bin bags where foxes would scavenge anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I see them all the time and they never really cause me any trouble. Why would you leave your bin bags where foxes would scavenge anyway?
    You dont. But foxes are such scavengers they'll always find what they're looking for. Plus they carry diseases and stuff. I wouldn't want them roaming around outside my house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    You dont. But foxes are such scavengers they'll always find what they're looking for. Plus they carry diseases and stuff. I wouldn't want them roaming around outside my house.
    They can't open properly closed bins though :P The kind of areas they roam are filthy anyway, I see them down alleyways filled with syringes. Though I agree entirely that it's not to be tolerated if they start spreading diseases between areas.

I don't really know the facts when it comes to fox hunting, and I bet not many in this thread do either, but I wouldn't think the "hunting is the only way to control the population of evil killer foxes who will eat your babies!" argument is very strong or accurate.

ReputationRep:
    They can't open properly closed bins though :P The kind of areas they roam are filthy anyway, I see them down alleyways filled with syringes. Though I agree entirely that it's not to be tolerated if they start spreading diseases between areas.

I don't really know the facts when it comes to fox hunting, and I bet not many in this thread do either, but I wouldn't think the "hunting is the only way to control the population of evil killer foxes who will eat your babies!" argument is very strong or accurate.
    I agree, it's not the only way to control the fox numbers. But other methods of culling are often just as 'cruel'. Can't get away from the fact that controlling the fox population still involves killing foxes, which is never going to be accepted by everyone anyway. It's because people don't know enough about it that they oppose it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I agree, it's not the only way to control the fox numbers. But other methods of culling are often just as 'cruel'. Can't get away from the fact that controlling the fox population still involves killing foxes, which is never going to be accepted by everyone anyway. It's because people don't know enough about it that they oppose it.
    very well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    No. Its simply because there are plenty of alot less cruel, and alot quicker ways of culling foxes if there is a need to.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.