ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *fiona*)
    im confused wat is this abot
    Oh dear!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, quick protest against the closure of this school:

http://www.ampleforthcollege.york.sc...try_sports.htm

Who said schools didn't breed elitism

If the monks of Ampleforth say it is ok to hunt, it must be ok!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    bump.
    To merge with new thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thor)
    And Tednol, to give an example a by-product of Mcdonalds is that vast amounts of land in south america has to be destroyed to provide ground for cattle, this causes severe disruption to villagers, resulting in malnutrition, death or poverty from nautral crop destruction, contamination of habitat erc. (Source Actionaid)

This suffering is a by-product of the fast food industry. It isnt right and i do feel it IS worth destroying a whole industry over if it can't adapt to better ways.

Just like fox hunting.
    Call me old fashioned, but I'm not accepting that the suffering of the odd fox caught by the odd hunt is comparable to the suffering of villagers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Fox hunting is a much a social occasion as bear baiting and **** fighting, if it was just pest control why would everyone get dressed up?
    Pest control people (eg those from Rentokil) dress up - in that they put on their uniform... so I can't quite see your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Pest control people (eg those from Rentokil) dress up - in that they put on their uniform... so I can't quite see your point.
    Yes but when you dress up for fox hunting, many look like right wallies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yes but when you dress up for fox hunting, many look like right wallies.
    Lol you think they look like wallies? You should see me in my Tesco's uniform...

ReputationRep:
    Lol you think they look like wallies? You should see me in my Tesco's uniform...
    You have to dress like it though. They don't

ReputationRep:
    You have to dress like it though. They don't
    if I decided i didnt like your nose ring/baggy pants/hat/haircut/general outfit and made a comment.. Im sure you'd have something to say about it.. everyone has their own little likes/dislikes and if they feel good dressing in breeches and red coats then why not? A lot of the young male huntsmen look rather nice in a pair of tight breeches!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    if I decided i didnt like your nose ring/baggy pants/hat/haircut/general outfit and made a comment.. Im sure you'd have something to say about it.. everyone has their own little likes/dislikes and if they feel good dressing in breeches and red coats then why not? A lot of the young male huntsmen look rather nice in a pair of tight breeches!! :rolleyes:
    Up to them, they just remind me of the ceremonial outfits for judges. Then again I have no time for sports like this

ReputationRep:
    How many people who want to ban fox hunting truly have seen the damage that foxes cause? I have... A hundred + pheasant poults dead around a pheasant pen, lambs heads bitten off, piglets taken and left half eaten.
    All were healthy animals, not the sick animals as so often reported.

Do you agree that they need controlling at all?
    Or, is it hunting with hounds.
    or, is it the people that hunt that you dislike...

I love to see foxes in the countryside and would never like to see the countryside without a fox, but foxes need to be controlled.

Hunting serves a purpose not just to the farmer, but to the countryside as a whole. It has been proved time and time again that in areas where predator control takes place, wildlife flourishes. Ground nesting birds, smaller mammals all benefit as a result.

Hunting with hounds is another method of controlling foxes as is shooting, snaring & earth dogs etc. A hunt provides a service to the farmer and estate when a problem with foxes arises, and at no cost to the land owner.

Foxes have been hunting for centuries, first by wolves and now by mankind.

Lets not forget, mankind is part of nature.

ReputationRep:
    people who hunt rarely admit to their enjoyment of it for fear of seeming barbaric. yet, aside from the fox controlling issues, hunting provides a socila network as it has done for hundreds of years, for people who often live in isolated areas. local hunts also provide an extremely important service with the disposal of farm animals. i understand both sides of the arguments but living in the country i do see ho wimportant huntin gis to our rural infrastructure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elmer Fud)
    How many people who want to ban fox hunting truly have seen the damage that foxes cause? I have... A hundred + pheasant poults dead around a pheasant pen, lambs heads bitten off, piglets taken and left half eaten.

Or, is it hunting with hounds.
    or, is it the people that hunt that you dislike...

I love to see foxes in the countryside and would never like to see the countryside without a fox, but foxes need to be controlled.

Hunting serves a purpose not just to the farmer, but to the countryside as a whole. It has been proved time and time again that in areas where predator control takes place, wildlife flourishes. Ground nesting birds, smaller mammals all benefit as a result.

Hunting with hounds is another method of controlling foxes as is shooting, snaring & earth dogs etc. A hunt provides a service to the farmer and estate when a problem with foxes arises, and at no cost to the land owner.

Foxes have been hunting for centuries, first by wolves and now by mankind.

Lets not forget, mankind is part of nature.
    You are dangerously confusing fox hunting with pest control. Many people often support the latter but not the former.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elmer Fud)
    I have seen the damage a fox can do because when I was younger I used to spend summers with my Gran who lives in the countryside. And once when we went to visit her friend who was a farmer in the same village and a fox had just broken into one of the chicken pens and had killed 20 chickens. Now I was very younge at the time and it deaply disturbed me. But as I am older now I have realised that the fox is only doing what comes naturally to it, in its environment it kills chickens. I don't think that this is an excuse to kill them barbarically. I think it is the responsibility of the farmers to keep their animals safe. I am strongly opposed to Fox hunting.

I think that the farm animals do need protecting but I don't think it is fair to kill the foxes to protect the animals. There are other means of protecting the animals like building higher fences or if the fox population does need controlling then spaying some of the females is a way to keep the population down. I am also unsure about weather hunting with hounds actually effects the fox population because I have seen studies which show that during the foot and mouth crisis where fox hunting was banned or limited the numbers did not increase.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how people say how destructive foxes can be. As if we can talk. Besides dogs probably cause more harm than foxes. I don't see people calling for dog hunting. Perhaps we should destroy certain breeds like rotweilers and pit bull terriors? Wouldn't surprise me if fox hunting supporters would say no to that argument.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how people say how destructive foxes can be. As if we can talk. Besides dogs probably cause more harm than foxes. I don't see people calling for dog hunting. Perhaps we should destroy certain breeds like rotweilers and pit bull terriors? Wouldn't surprise me if fox hunting supporters would say no to that argument.
    I live in Rutland which is pretty rural. My drive home from work every night takes about 15 minutes and is cross country. I see on average 2 foxes on the roadside a week... and I've yet to see a rotweiler or pit bull terrior - of for that matter any dog off a lead whatsoever. Your statement seems to be completely based on speculation.

ReputationRep:
    Fox hunting has nothing to do with controlling the fox population. It's a blood sport, and not even a very succesful one.

Edit: Also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3929441.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Fox hunting has nothing to do with controlling the fox population. It's a blood sport, and not even a very succesful one.

Edit: Also: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3929441.stm
    Why did you add that link? Surely the fact fox populations have remained constant is a perfect arguement for fox hunting? It would show fox hunting is controlling their population and keeping it at a level sustainable for both farmers and the foxes themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you add that link? Surely the fact fox populations have remained constant is a perfect arguement for fox hunting? It would show fox hunting is controlling their population and keeping it at a level sustainable for both farmers and the foxes themselves.
    Did you even read the article?

However it claims another study, which it also funded with the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA) and published in Nature, shows there was no change in fox numbers when hunting was suspended for nearly a year during the foot-and-mouth epidemic in 2001.
    "The number of foxes killed by hunts each year is minuscule," Professor Harris told BBC News online. "Foxes regulate their numbers very effectively.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.