Turn on thread page Beta

Fox hunting is barbaric and should be banned. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    The great thing about debates is altho the other person never admits defeat when they start calling you names you know you have won.
    Or does not respond to your comments, either in whole or in part. but have participated in posts later than the post concerned, which means they could have read it, but just chose to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Or does not respond to your comments, either in whole or in part. but have participated in posts later than the post concerned, which means they could have read it, but just chose to ignore it.
    quite right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elmer Fud)
    What a load of rubbish.... stop being so short sighted. At least a hunt is only after one type of animal. The fox is an opportunist, and will kill indiscriminately on numerous species
    The fox is an animal, animals do not have a human IQ or human emotions. Why is it justified to kill any fox for the actions of one. If a pitt bull mauls a child that is not a reason to go and kill all pitt bulls. Foxes do what comes naturally to them, humans have the choice, they don't have to go and an kill foxes there are other options that have been mentioned on this thread. Foxes kill through need or instinct, humans kill by choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Why is it justified to kill any fox for the actions of one. If a pitt bull mauls a child that is not a reason to go and kill all pitt bulls. Foxes do what comes naturally to them, humans have the choice, they don't have to go and an kill foxes there are other options that have been mentioned on this thread. Foxes kill through need or instinct, humans kill by choice.
    Which was what I was saying earlier.

ReputationRep:
    If fox hunting were to be banned. What would you suggest to keep the balance correct?

ReputationRep:
    If fox hunting were to be banned. What would you suggest to keep the balance correct?
    nature and farm produces from other countries in the main

ReputationRep:
    Yes we have a choice, and foxes do what comes naturally. But when it hurts the owner of a farm in the pocket or when foxes have an adverse affect on our mammals then we have to act. As I said in one of my earlier threads I would not like to see the countryside without a fox. Foxes are wonderful animals and have to be shown respect. But it simply a matter of getting the balance right.
    I don't think that people are really disagreeing with you when it comes to this statement what people disagree with you about is fox hunting. There have been studies done which show that other methods could be implimented to reduce fox numbers without the ordeal of the chase. As I have previously mentioned farmers could make sure that their animals are more secure or female foxes could be spayed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    nature and farm produces from other countries in the main
    Farming is a dying industry in Britain. Our Villages are now holiday homes for those who want a weekend retreat. Our countryside is becoming a theme park for the Urban majority. Is that how you want to see the British countryside.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that people are really disagreeing with you when it comes to this statement what people disagree with you about is fox hunting. There have been studies done which show that other methods could be implimented to reduce fox numbers without the ordeal of the chase. As I have previously mentioned farmers could make sure that their animals are more secure or female foxes could be spayed.
    If this is the case then please show the way. At the moment if the government get their way. It wont stop at hunting with hounds but hunting with dogs altogether. As mentioned earlier that would mean 80,000 foxes would have to be cull by other means.

ReputationRep:
    female foxes could be spayed.
    It has been reported that there are about 120,000 adult vixens at any one time. How would you suggest these vixens be caught and who is going to pay for them to be spayed.

ReputationRep:
    It has been reported that there are about 120,000 adult vixens at any one time. How would you suggest these vixens be caught and who is going to pay for them to be spayed.
    Well first of all like I said I think the best option would be to allow the natural ecosystem to try and adapt which generally most studies suggest would lead to the formation of a natural equlibrium. If this for some reason does not happen then I would suggest that the government pays for the spaying to be done. You would need to to about 4,000 of them and the population would be drastically effected

ReputationRep:
    Well first of all like I said I think the best option would be to allow the natural ecosystem to try and adapt which generally most studies suggest would lead to the formation of a natural equlibrium. If this for some reason does not happen then I would suggest that the government pays for the spaying to be done. You would need to to about 4,000 of them and the population would be drastically effected
    What exactly would you class as a 'natural ecosystem' in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    What exactly would you class as a 'natural ecosystem' in Britain?
    That is a good point but I would classify it as one which isn't being managed by humans

ReputationRep:
    That is a good point but I would classify it as one which isn't being managed by humans
    The point is, humans have changed the ecosystem too much already with the introduction of foreign animals and the fact that animals now use humans junk for their main source of food. Humans ARE part of the ecosystem whether you like it or not.

ReputationRep:
    The point is, humans have changed the ecosystem too much already with the introduction of foreign animals and the fact that animals now use humans junk for their main source of food. Humans ARE part of the ecosystem whether you like it or not.
    But does that make it totally correct considering how other things are going in context?

ReputationRep:
    That is true but fox hunting is sustaining the populations of the different animals and birds at a very artificial level. I am still not so sure that banning fox hunting would lead to an irreversable increase in foxes

ReputationRep:
    That is true but fox hunting is sustaining the populations of the different animals and birds at a very artificial level. I am still not so sure that banning fox hunting would lead to an irreversable increase in foxes
    Correct. People always say that a reason for eating animals is to keep their population under control: FACT: There is now more farm animals living at this time than ever before in all history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I honestly believe that the main reason so many people are anti-fox hunting has much less to do with the welfare of foxes than it does class envy.

They are pests and need to be culled accordingly.
    i do not believe you need to breed hundreds of blood thirsty hounds and have upper class twits galloping about the countryside on horseback to cull foxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherbert)
    i do not believe you need to breed hundreds of blood thirsty hounds and have upper class twits galloping about the countryside on horseback to cull foxes.
    Another thing is that these people are only upper class because they have inherited it - they have done nothing to earn it - this undermines the meritocracy.

ReputationRep:
    Farming is a dying industry in Britain. Our Villages are now holiday homes for those who want a weekend retreat. Our countryside is becoming a theme park for the Urban majority. Is that how you want to see the British countryside.

well said. It's all well and good arguing that from a purely ecomonic point of view, british farming should be phased out in favour of cheaper foreign produce; however, the countryside, by which i mean the land and wildlife within the land, requires constant and careful management to maintain a functioning ecosystem. now im not denying that (mainly in the south) intensive farming using fertilisers and pesticides causes damage to our wildlife.. however there are large areas (particularly in the north, and central england where most foxhunting takes place) which benefit from the careful management that farmers provide. one example would be the reduction of bracken on fell-sides which if left uncontrolled, would smother and reduce habitats suitable for ground-nesting birds. hunting is an integral part of the british countryside, and i realise that this branch of argument is slightly off the point in regards to whether foxhunting should be banned or not, but we should be supporting british farmers, especially in the north - as many only think about the huge intensive famrs in the south, forgetting the hard-slog facing hill farmers in the north.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.