Turn on thread page Beta

Fox hunting is barbaric and should be banned. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    For the record was I right? Took me a fair while to find a site that would take the co-ordinates and give me a map!
    Yes though as I said before it is hardly a city place like London, despite what it may look like on the map.

How did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yes though as I said before it is hardly a city place like London, despite what it may look like on the map.

How did you do that?
    Google... and more specifically this site:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Google... and more specifically this site:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
    For a minute I thought you had IP trackers and all that

Nice site though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)

as far as I am aware, a drag hunt is when a sack of a smelly substance is dragged along the ground to set a trail for the hounds to follow. I apologise if this is not the case.
    what exactly do you think the smelly substance is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    Normally as far as I know it is annaseed

ReputationRep:
    aniseed

ReputationRep:
    I live in a town but on the edge, right in the middle of the national forest.
    I do think that fox HUNTING :mad: should be banned. However, after working for various farmers and around the countryside and voluntry work i do feel foxes are a pest.

If foxes numbers are kept low but sustained there should be no problem of extinction. if numbers are low, the foxes will have choice in other food rather than livestock (which is the only reason they are a pest) such as rats and mice which would help the farmers by getting rid of them.

fox HUNTING :mad: is a cruel, barbaric and a rather sad sport for either the rich or the stupid (usualy both) they obviously have too much time and waste it by dressing like fools and terrorising a (note A) fox with an army of dogs. these dogs are not trained to "go for the neck" as many hunters will tell you. i have seen photos and films of foxes, still ALIVE, with their intestines hanging from there stomachs. they were also left by the hunt to die. not killed but tortured.

they need to be shot or killed in the quickest way possible. and numbers around the country submitted per fox kill each year (or a government body to award a quota per area)

ok i'm done

bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the evil trees)
    i have seen photos and films of foxes, still ALIVE, with their intestines hanging from there stomachs. they were also left by the hunt to die. not killed but tortured.
    That's disgusting. Why is this not seen as animal torture. Hell would break loose if someone did that to their dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Normally as far as I know it is annaseed
    try a dead fox.

ReputationRep:
    try a dead fox.
    Annaseed works aswell and is used in some drag hunts

ReputationRep:
    I would just like to say, I still think fox hunting should be banned when things like this happen. This is off AOL new:

Shot Hunt Boy 'Mistaken for Fox'

A 13-year-old boy may have been mistaken for a fox when he was shot dead during a hunting expedition.

A police investigation was continuing into the death of the teenager shot during a night-time "lamping'' expedition.

He was hit by a single bullet, police said.

The youngster, not yet named, was among a party of at least three adults and three teenagers who went out hunting on Saturday night.

"It appeared the teenager was a member of a small party out with the intention of hunting foxes,'' said Devon and Cornwall Police.

The tragedy happened on land around Lower Cholwell Farm, near the village of Harberton in South Devon.

The victim of the shooting was a friend of one of the landowner's sons, and lived in the village, it is understood.

Police were called to the farm following reports that a boy had been shot.

The shooting party was out "lamping'' - using lights or torches to spot the prey.

It is understood that an adult member of the party fired the shot which hit the boy.

When the youngster was shot, other members of the shooting party tried to revive him before the arrival of paramedics.

The youngster was flown by Devon and Cornwall Police helicopter to hospital in Exeter, where he later died.

The police said that at the moment the incident was being treated as an "unexpected death,'' and they were investigating the circumstances.

No one had been arrested in connection with the incident, said the police spokesman.

The occupants at Lower Cholwell Farm were not available for comment yesterday.

The police helicopter flew over the area of the shooting yesterday as part of the investigation.

Police said the scene had been cordoned off and officers were interviewing members of the party and examining weapons that were being used at the time.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out this afternoon by a Home Office pathologist.

The local vicar, the Rev Hugh Pollock, said the community would be "shattered'' by the news that the youngster had been shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I honestly believe that the main reason so many people are anti-fox hunting has much less to do with the welfare of foxes than it does class envy.

They are pests and need to be culled accordingly.
    i think that does a major disservice to the majoriy of anti-fox hunting people and is odd that this argument is often used by those who advocate hunting whilst at the same time they proclaim fox hunting is not a class based sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    and have you ever actually seen a fox? ...
    yes many. when i lived both in london and the countryside.

they are horrible mangy creatures
    horrible? i find this line of argument a bit irrelevent but since you brought it up i have to disagree with your opinion. i think they are gorgeous creatures. very athletic looking, striking colour. Have rarely seen one with what looks like mange, maybe i am lucky though.

my dog looks horrible and mangy....KILL HIM!!!

ReputationRep:
    by killing a few mangy foxes.....
    loving the language here...trying to make it sound like all you're doing is putting down three or four diseased foxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)

A 13-year-old boy may have been mistaken for a fox when he was shot dead during a hunting expedition.

A police investigation was continuing into the death of the teenager shot during a night-time "lamping'' expedition.
    I doubt hounds would've mistaken the boy for a fox.

ReputationRep:
    I'm always seeing and hearing foxes in central London. They commonly empty our dustbin all over the garden - but you don't see all the neighbours getting together in strangely antiquated red costumes, jumping on horseback, blaring away at horns, and stalking foxes with a pack of hounds until a random fox (not necessarily the one that has been rummaging through the bins) is found, chased to exhaustion and then ripped apart by the dogs.

No, we save that kind of treatment for the local nonces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the evil trees)
    fox HUNTING :mad: is a cruel, barbaric and a rather sad sport for either the rich or the stupid (usualy both) they obviously have too much time and waste it by dressing like fools and terrorising a (note A) fox with an army of dogs. these dogs are not trained to "go for the neck" as many hunters will tell you. i have seen photos and films of foxes, still ALIVE, with their intestines hanging from there stomachs. they were also left by the hunt to die. not killed but tortured.

Bla bla bla its all crap.
    Its not only rich people that do it fool and most (not all) are a damn sight more intelligent than you.

All you people that live in the city that probably never seen a fox on tv, haven't got a f*cking clue.
    When your streets are over run with foxes you will be kicking yourselfs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)
    I would just like to say, I still think fox hunting should be banned when things like this happen. This is off AOL new:

The Fox Hunting Bill that MPs will vote on today, refers to Fox Hunting with hounds. If passed and enforced, incidents of fox hunting and culling with firearms and traps will increase. Surely incidents such as this will rise in response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    The Fox Hunting Bill that MPs will vote on today, refers to Fox Hunting with hounds. If passed and enforced, incidents of fox hunting and culling with firearms and traps will increase. Surely incidents such as this will rise in response.
    Thank you vienna, my post regarding this was disregarded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    foxhunting does not significantly curb numbers of foxes
    foxhunting can often cause damage to other people's property
    hounds have been known to attack people
    hounds are not easy to control and can go onto roads/ railway lines causing disturbance and possible accidents
    many people in both the country and cities would like foxhunting to be abolished
    none are reasons to ban an activity and sport that the majority wish to preserve.

foxhunting can often disturb wildlife and destroy habitats
    hounds do not kill a fox quickly and painlessly
    put in any relative context, these are very thin claims indeed.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.