Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly think there are no more humane methods of death than being chased across the country by packs of savage dogs then being shredded and tossed around?

ReputationRep:
    saying that foxes are effectively killed by a single bit to the neck is as much the truth as saying that all townines are drugies. foxhunting is one of the most ineffective forms of pest control ever preserved mainly by those who refuse to accept change

its far more a social event

ReputationRep:
    agreed.

ReputationRep:
    Fox Hunting Should Be Banned. Yes It Absolutely Should

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Do you honestly think there are no more humane methods of death than being chased across the country by packs of savage dogs then being shredded and tossed around?
    Foxes have no natural predators. Using a chase is closer to the natural ways that foxes would die if they did have predators. The slowest/oldest are the ones that get caught. Do you also think lions should be banned from chasing and killing zebras? And as for being shredded and tossed around - the hounds are trained to (and naturally) go for the neck/throat to kill the animal as fast as possible. So the fox is dead before anything like that happens, if it happens at all. Don't you think people's efforts should be put into more important issues anyway?? Like preventing child abuse, people living on the streets, bullying, saving peoples lives...??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Foxes have no natural predators. Using a chase is closer to the natural ways that foxes would die if they did have predators. The slowest/oldest are the ones that get caught. Do you also think lions should be banned from chasing and killing zebras? And as for being shredded and tossed around - the hounds are trained to (and naturally) go for the neck/throat to kill the animal as fast as possible. So the fox is dead before anything like that happens, if it happens at all. Don't you think people's efforts should be put into more important issues anyway?? Like preventing child abuse, people living on the streets, bullying, saving peoples lives...??
    lions shouldnt be banned from naturally chasing zebra since it is a natural event, foxhunting isnt, it is not natural for a bunch of rich (mainly or they wouldnt be able to afford the kennels or stables) people to go charging after a single fox with a load of hounds in the interests of "pest control" (its so ineffective its not even funny) so they have something to talk about after wards at the manor.

ok i admit this a slightly over the top situation but the point remains foxhunting isnt natural, lions chaasing zebra is

and as for the arguement about issues, we arent debating that, so stop trying to change the subject since the question is whether fox hunting is right or wrong isnt the 3rd world poor important because of course it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    would you care to suggest some then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    lions shouldnt be banned from naturally chasing zebra since it is a natural event, foxhunting isnt, it is not natural for a bunch of rich (mainly or they wouldnt be able to afford the kennels or stables) people to go charging after a single fox with a load of hounds in the interests of "pest control" (its so ineffective its not even funny) so they have something to talk about after wards at the manor.

ok i admit this a slightly over the top situation but the point remains foxhunting isnt natural, lions chaasing zebra is
    Yes that is a very over the top situation. Fox hunting isn't natural. But using animals such as hounds to chase and kill them is closer to the natural way than other methods (of which btw, nobody has yet suggested any).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    its so ineffective its not even funny.
    It is effective. The foxes are killed and so fox numbers are reduced/controlled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It is effective. The foxes are killed and so fox numbers are reduced/controlled.
    yes, and without the population of foxes being completely wiped out by too effective a method (as someone thought would happen on page 1 of this thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    yes, and without the population of foxes being completely wiped out by too effective a method (as someone thought would happen on page 1 of this thread)
    Precisely!

ReputationRep:
    i think they've all left!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i think they've all left!
    Yup, maybe it was getting a bit too heated!! :confused: Where did everybody go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yup, maybe it was getting a bit too heated!! :confused: Where did everybody go?
    Ah, maybe everyone's out in the countryside chasing foxes!!!

ReputationRep:
    What I dislike about fox hunting is the fact that people call it a sport, dress up and have a laugh about the fact that a fox is being hounded out and killed. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    What I dislike about fox hunting is the fact that people call it a sport, dress up and have a laugh about the fact that a fox is being hounded out and killed. Doesn't sound like fun to me.
    I see what you mean. However, controlling fox numbers in any other way still involves catching and killing of the animals. The dressing up part is an age old tradition, what's wrong with that? And as for the having a laugh bit, when you get together with people you don't see very often I'm sure you have a laugh with them. It's the same as that really. Regardless of the situation, when a group of people get together you can't stop them havin a laugh - why is there an assumption that they're laughing because they're killing foxes? The actual hunt is taken very seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think though that there is something wrong with people who think its fun to see animals being slaughtered. They should visit the pub or something like most normal people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkonline)
    Don't you think though that there is something wrong with people who think its fun to see animals being slaughtered. They should visit the pub or something like most normal people do.
    That was my point, they don't find the 'slaughtering' part fun, but it's still necessary - can't just leave foxes to breed and breed, they're pests and numbers need to be controlled. And when a group of people get together for whatever reason it does become a social event. Just because it's social it doesn't mean they enjoy the actual killing of the animals, which is necessary for controlling the fox population.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few points to make on the topic of fox hunting.

1) Why kill them in the first place I know everyone keeps on saying that they are a pest ect but surely it would be cheaper to build higher fences than kill foxs for doing what comes naturally. The farmers are putting prey for the fox into the foxes habitat that then get angery when the foxes do eat them it doesn't make no sense. If farmers insit on farming chickens in the habitat that the fox was in first they should do a better job at protecting them. If people who live in the countryside just wanted to go out for the thrill of the chase and didn't enjoy the killing at all as has been claimed by some of you they could do drag hunting which involves the dog chasing an anaseed trail and has all the thrill of the chase without killing an animal at the end of it.

2) A more humane way of killing foxes if it needs to be done at all which in my view it doesn't because farmers could just protect the chickens better. Then a more humane way would be one man and one well trained dog killing the fox because it would be much less stressfull for the animal because they won't have loads of horse chasing them. Or even more human would be the idea to neuter some of the females then return them to the wild this would reduce the fox population.

3) A study was done by the RSPCA during the foot and mouth periode during which fox hunting wasn't allowed and it was found that during that one year time period there was not explosion of the fox population. So how is it even clear that fox hunting is effective at keeping the population down?

3) Should pests even be killed? The fact of the matter is that in many african countries Elaphants and tigers are considered pests and hunted however many of you would probably think that this is extreme and unfair to hunt these beautiful animals. Well that is how I feel about foxes. I have seen foxes and I believe that they are beautiful and intelligent animals who should be protected. I live in the city but having relatives who live in the countryside means that I spent alot of weekends and most holidays there and I have observed hunting first hand and it is not human. The fact of the matter is that the fox can be chased for up to 17 miles before it is caught exhausted.

4) What about what happens to the dogs when they are getting too old to hunt? I know for a fact that very few of them are kept alive once they get old because they are no longer of use to the hunters and they are too violent to be kept as pets.

Fox hunting in fact all hunting is inhumane. It is killing a beautiful intelligent animal there are other ways a few of which have been listed above which it can be done if it needs to be done at all.

ReputationRep:
    Morally, I agree that hunting for sport should be banned - the idea of having a fun day out killing things is never a pleasant one. However, it's not quite so straightforward as this. Yes, hunting is not a completely effective way of killing foxes, but neither is poison or shooting them. Until we have a foolproof alternative to hunting, hunting is a viable option. After all, not all hunts are carried out in the context of sport - there are places where hunts take place in the hills, on foot, where dogs can pick up the scent of a fox and track them down. If I were a sheep farmer, it might be my only option.
    As for elephants and foxes, thats a bit of a far -fetched example surely. Foxes are pests, like rats and squirrels.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.