Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No doubt people of the UK are aware of the possibility that Id cards may be implemented into daily life.

The main ideas behind it are to help reduce tax evasion, stop illegal immigration, prevent fraud crimes and to hopefully allow safer living for the population.

There have been many objections by MP's, the media and some of the general public. The main factors behind this have been the sheer cost of the scheme and the invasion of privacy of people.
    ie a George Orwell 1984 style scenario.

This got me thinking, how much freedom do the British public actually have, or at least think they have? It is my understanding that post World War 2 saw the introduction of some sort of computer or monitoring system by which all landline telephone calls are 'bugged' and that certain words or phrases etc.. will trigger a response.
    99.998% (3dp) of the time nothing will happen but it is how certain crime rings or plots have been foiled.

Also the Inland revenue, Secret Service etc... already know a great deal of information about each person living in the UK and say for example a large some of money enters an account, then it may be checked, it being most likely completely innocent.

Anyway, i think that it is only the people who are doing 'wrong' things will be worried about ID cards because they will have to clear u their act. Also certain people will want to see illegal immigration continue because of the money they can make through court cases, law suits etc..

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ID cards - sooner the better.

ReputationRep:
    definatly not, but then again im reeeal paranoid..... i dont like 'the man'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    definatly not, but then again im reeeal paranoid..... i dont like 'the man'
    Are you referring to Blair?
    Why don't you like them exactly, surely it will make your life better in the long run?

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, and speaking as a libertarian, I think the State needs to justify it's existance to ME, and not the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    you've got nothing to worry about if you've done nothing wrong, simple as that.

however it is the product of all the information stored on you. its a symbol of societys control. which is a bit freaky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolution)
    Are you referring to Blair?
    Why don't you like them exactly, surely it will make your life better in the long run?
    no, im reffereing to the real man/men. the ones that are actually in power... i would just rather not rely that much more on the establishment. what would really make my day would be if a gian emp whent off and we were all reduced to basics. then i would feel better.

ReputationRep:
    no no no no no thankyou please.,,,, :mad:
    i belong to me and my stuf is all mine and lets live n let live then die in peace. :mad: ok

ps
    i
    love
    me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KizzieB)
    no no no no no thankyou please.,,,, :mad:
    i belong to me and my stuf is all mine and lets live n let live then die in peace. :mad: ok

ps
    i
    love
    me
    But do you and do they? All belongings are superficial and can be lost in an instant, ID cards would ideally mean more peace.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to hide so quite frankly do I don't care if I have to produce ID cards, if it makes the world a saver place then who can argue?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.