Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is school a malign influence on youngsters of today? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking a lot about this recently, sparked off by observing the vulgar, insolent and generally appallingly behaved children (generally from the lower years) at my school. In the library at lunchtime, for example, the little brats behave in such a vile way that the poor long-suffering librarians simply can't maintain order and the library turns into a noisy playground.

Is it school that turns them into little monsters? Or their parents? I don't get it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I've been thinking a lot about this recently, sparked off by observing the vulgar, insolent and generally appallingly behaved children (generally from the lower years) at my school. In the library at lunchtime, for example, the little brats behave in such a vile way that the poor long-suffering librarians simply can't maintain order and the library turns into a noisy playground.

Is it school that turns them into little monsters? Or their parents? I don't get it? :confused:
    I think society as a whole has changed, children arent brought up to the same standards and given the same parenting, my mum works at an infant school and some days the children come into school with no shoes on as the parents couldnt be bothered to dress them, or have walked half a mile to school aged 5, then go home and have the house to themselves, cooking their own tea and doing what they like. I know this state is a minority but no child would be treated in that way years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    I think society as a whole has changed, children arent brought up to the same standards and given the same parenting, my mum works at an infant school and some days the children come into school with no shoes on as the parents couldnt be bothered to dress them, or have walked half a mile to school aged 5, then go home and have the house to themselves, cooking their own tea and doing what they like. I know this state is a minority but no child would be treated in that way years ago.
    That's really shocking. Childhood seems to be disappearing - children are growing up way too fast. It galls me to see young girls wearing tarty clothes/shoes and make up, for example. And when I'm walking from one end of school to the other, every other word I hear is an expletive.

*weeps at the state of society*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    That's really shocking. Childhood seems to be disappearing - children are growing up way too fast. It galls me to see young girls wearing tarty clothes/shoes and make up, for example. And when I'm walking from one end of school to the other, every other word I hear is an expletive.

*weeps at the state of society*
    I don't think the fact children are growing up too quickly has a negative effect on society, it is more how they are brought up, I agree maturity beyond age group such as provocative dressing isn't the best thing for society however if parents were to discipline children properly then I think society might just edge back towards some sort of normality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Some kids seem to be little monsters before they even get to school. I think due to undiagnosed behavioural problems and poor parenting. Certainly school can have both positive and negative influences on people depending on the person and the school.
    The gap between the children of types in school is growing too, there are less and less kids of medium ability no more. the children with a good upbringing do well and the children without support unsurprisingly dont have the determination or knowledge to succeed, starting years behind in terms of speech and intelligence when starting infant school, these are the most important years of a childrens lives, if they do well the first few years they tend to keep that run going throughout life.

There was one child in my mums school called spencer who when he jpined the infant school could not speak english and barked like a dog to communicate with teachers as he had been left in the house with dogs and that was all he knew for gaining attention from his family. Not a good advert for th area near where i live is it...

ReputationRep:
    today's society has much fewer morals than days of old.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    today's society has much fewer morals than days of old.....
    Indeed!... When i was lad if i said a bad word to my mother i'd get a clip round the ear and no werthers originals for a week...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Indeed!... When i was lad if i said a bad word to my mother i'd get a clip round the ear and no werthers originals for a week...!
    lol!
    Thats true acctually.
    I'm sure I can get away with far more infront of my parents than people from years ago, thankfully it didn't turn me into a retard.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

The standard at the comprehensive I went to was generally shocking. A huge number of 16 year olds were leaving the place with extemely poor reading and writing ability which in the cases I know of didn't seem to have improved at all from the moment they started secondary school!

Also, you can't really teach people if they don't want to be taught. By the time people get to secondary school its generally easy to predict how they will turn out academically. Its a very hard job for teachers to have to deal with the troublemakers and those who don't want to learn. The root of the problem is that they are in that state from such a young age. But, we can't exactly enforce parenting techniques onto families to improve matters.
    You can tell the children that won't do well in many cases froma young age. They are the type that haven't been told off by their parents and give them cheek, and quite unsurprisingly bring it into the classroom, in many cases i feel sorry for them as i wonder what they would have been like had they been brought up in a family that cared.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't always hold though, some twins (non-identical) were at my school, one was one of the top students, the other was a complete troublemaker and underachiever.
    It doesn't in come cases but to every model there are exceptions, i was just generalising into the najority state of affairs.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway there's not a lot we can do about it without taking the nanny state to a completely new level. How do you get some bad parents to bring up their child properly, or even not to have kids in the first instance if they can't provide a good environment for them to grow up in?
    I find it difficult to answer, i cannot think of any logical step that would stop the rot as far as child education at base level and therefore i find it very difficult to crticisie the governments efforts, although i dont think they are proving effective, i cant see a method that would help without been to autocratic. Anybody got any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I saw a chinese woman pushing her bugee with a child in and she was also holding her young daughters hand, they came out of schook and were wallking up a path. Some kids about 8/9yrs old were also walking up the path, they saw them and started walking slowly in front of the women, they wouldnt let her pass and were going really slowly, they must of stopped her for a bit because i couldnt see them for a bit. They then carried on walking and some of them moved slighly, the women got passed a couple of them and managed to get further in front of them they then started shouting oy u F**king Ch**k, and they were then looking for stones but the women turned round and said she would tell the school and they replied by shouting they dont go to that school and that she doesnt know their names. The women eventually went and the 4 boys hung around, the lollypop man then came up the same path, the kids the walked in front of him and started walking slowly all the way up the path, the man was an old man aswell. It is unbelievable the way young children act they treat people like dirt, they pick on a chinese woman with young children and an old man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartw101)
    I saw a chinese woman pushing her bugee with a child in and she was also holding her young daughters hand, they came out of schook and were wallking up a path. Some kids about 8/9yrs old were also walking up the path, they saw them and started walking slowly in front of the women, they wouldnt let her pass and were going really slowly, they must of stopped her for a bit because i couldnt see them for a bit. They then carried on walking and some of them moved slighly, the women got passed a couple of them and managed to get further in front of them they then started shouting oy u F**king Ch**k, and they were then looking for stones but the women turned round and said she would tell the school and they replied by shouting they dont go to that school and that she doesnt know their names. The women eventually went and the 4 boys hung around, the lollypop man then came up the same path, the kids the walked in front of him and started walking slowly all the way up the path, the man was an old man aswell. It is unbelievable the way young children act they treat people like dirt, they pick on a chinese woman with young children and an old man.
    That is disgraceful, and the worst thing is if they were ever to be arrested theyd probably be given a free correction holiday to ayia napa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartw101)
    Isn't society lovely these days? :rolleyes:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.