I don't believe in God.

Because I'm a wannabee physicist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I don't believe in God.

Because I'm a wannabee physicist.
    How did the universe start hey?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in god either as there is no proof.

ReputationRep:
    Having a religion requires too much thinking so i opt out of belonging to one.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i dont belive in god, there are some many religions and each have flaws in there stories.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in something, I just don't know what it is yet.

ReputationRep:
    For all those people who dont believe in God answer the creation of the universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    For all those people who dont believe in God answer the creation of the universe.
    The big bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Then you don't believe in God in the biblical/koranic sense. What do you think started the big bang and what is outside the universe if anything?
    thats just reminded of a auction i saw on ebay. It was for the Qur'an and it was at £30,000!

i dont really believe in any religion although i have been christened, i find it hard to believe with no real proof - i have no faith in religion

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, i wasn't about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    The big bang.
    And what caused the big bang?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a religion as such insofar as I don't adher strictly to a particular formula for belief.

However, I do believe there is a God (or maybe even a number of Gods) so I'll vote yes.

ReputationRep:
    And what caused the big bang?
    and where did god come from then?

ReputationRep:
    You honestly believe that the universe was started by an english-speaking omnipotent being concerned with one planet over every other planet in the universe? Or did he put his "son" in the form of a man on every planet? Does he watch over every planet, star and being in the universe like he does to us? Did he make every world like he did the earth, in 7 days, or is the Earth more important than every other one?

Don't you think it's typical of what someone would make up? God love US, God puts his son on OUR planet, he made OUR world in 7 days, but of course meanwhile he created the rest of the universe.

You seem to act as if the religious explanation is the only credible solution, but in fact it isn't anywhere near the big bang solution, more like a popular guess made by people living in times when running water wasn't even available. Of course, these people knew better than scientists of today, didn't they!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, how was the universe created? if there was a god something would of had to of created god, it is so complicated when u think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    and where did god come from then?
    It strikes me that the first people just made up things like gods to explain stuff that they couldn't explain, like why rivers flooded, volcanoes etc. So now that we know that it is not god that makes this stuff happen, what reason do we have to believe in him (or her!) now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    You honestly believe that the universe was started by an english-speaking omnipotent being concerned with one planet over every other planet in the universe? Or did he put his "son" in the form of a man on every planet? Does he watch over every planet, star and being in the universe like he does to us? Did he make every world like he did the earth, in 7 days, or is the Earth more important than every other one?

Don't you think it's typical of what someone would make up? God love US, God puts his son on OUR planet, he made OUR world in 7 days, but of course meanwhile he created the rest of the universe.

You seem to act as if the religious explanation is the only credible solution, but in fact it isn't anywhere near the big bang solution, more like a popular guess made by people living in times when running water wasn't even available. Of course, these people knew better than scientists of today, didn't they!
    Well, maybe they didn't know more than the scientists of today but bear in mind the scientists of today have yet to cure the common cold so perhaps it's unwise to put your faith in these genius' after all.

Maybe......just maybe.....there are some things a lot bigger than we can understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    It strikes me that the first people just made up things like gods to explain stuff that they couldn't explain, like why rivers flooded, volcanoes etc. So now that we know that it is not god that makes this stuff happen, what reason do we have to believe in him (or her!) now?
    i suppose that if you believe there is a god, you have to realise that he/she is not a human

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    i suppose that if you believe there is a god, you have to realise that he/she is not a human
    I think that can be taken as read. And herein lies the problem; applying human concepts to the idea of God, leading people to ask "but who created God?"

If there is a God he/she/it is almost certainly some supernatural power and the natural laws of the earth as we know them do not apply.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.