Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    changing the topic here slightly, but i was reading about a theory that believes that universe and time is iterative and every now and then we go back to being all primitive. The theory came about when gold models of boeing aircraft were found on an archilogical dig of some ancient civilisation. The models where thought to have come from a earlier iteration. Hmmm.... interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    nothing, because there was nothing before the big bang, it was simply a convenient beginning. equally you could ask what caused your god?
    What qualifies you to say there was nothing before the big bang? If the likes of Stephen Hawking hasn't categorically concluded this as fact how did you so easily do it?

Why does there have to be a logical explanation to GOD? Doesn't it there might not have to be a cause?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    changing the topic here slightly, but i was reading about a theory that believes that universe and time is iterative and every now and then we go back to being all primitive. The theory came about when gold models of boeing aircraft were found on an archilogical dig of some ancient civilisation. The models where thought to have come from a earlier iteration. Hmmm.... interesting
    or complete *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    Well, if you can believe that you should have no problem swallowing God!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What qualifies you to say there was nothing before the big bang? If the likes of Stephen Hawking hasn't categorically concluded this as fact how did you so easily do it?

Why does there have to be a logical explanation to GOD? Doesn't it there might not have to be a cause?
    Why does there have to be a logical explanation to the BIG BANG? Doesn't it there might not have to be a cause?

Im not qualified, and I never said I was. How are you qualified to discuss God? If the likes of the Pope hasn't categorically concluded anything other than he would like to go to the toilet, how do you so easily do it? Prunes?

By definition, there was nothing before the big bang, or the big bang is not the big bang, comprende? and dont say that there might not have been a big bang, because i accept this and have not stated otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Hmm what dig was that, haven't heard of it?

There is another slightly different theory called catastrophism which basically says that we've been, as a species, highly civilised at least once before but that we've been mostly wiped out due to various disasters.
    Again, if that can be believed I don't see why the notion of GOD cannot.

Proves the old saying "a person that doesn't believe in God will believe in anything"!

ReputationRep:
    Why does there have to be a logical explanation to the BIG BANG? Doesn't it there might not have to be a cause?

Im not qualified, and I never said I was. How are you qualified to discuss God? If the likes of the Pope hasn't categorically concluded anything other than he would like to go to the toilet, how do you so easily do it? Prunes?

By definition, there was nothing before the big bang, or the big bang is not the big bang, comprende? and dont say that there might not have been a big bang, because i accept this and have not stated otherwise.
    There doesn't have to be a logical explanation to the big bang and I'm no more qualified in the ways of God than you are as a scientist. The naked truth is that neither of us are particularly well qualified are we? Capiche?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I don't believe in God.

Because I'm a wannabee physicist.
    You don't have to not believe in God to be a physicist..

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's bits and pieces of evidence that support it so its not as completely unbelievable as you might think, although still ostensibly a bit far fetched. That example can't be compared to a belief in God though as there is, as far as I can see, absolutely no evidence for or against His existence.
    What bits and pieces of evidence? If there really were gold models of boeing aircraft found at an archaeological dig don't you think it might have been a hoax?

You're absolutely right. There is no evidence of God. But that doesn't mean there isn't a God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    You don't have to not believe in God to be a physicist..
    Lot's of physicists believe in God.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not on about that dig as I've never heard of it. I'm on about bits and pieces of evidence for the catastrophism theory. I can't be arsed to explain it though, plenty of source on the web.

Yes, you don't have to try to convince me.
    it probably is bollox, or embellished - it didn't get it from a reliable source, somewhere on the internet i think.

ReputationRep:
    There doesn't have to be a logical explanation to the big bang and I'm no more qualified in the ways of God than you are as a scientist. The naked truth is that neither of us are particularly well qualified are we? Capiche?
    very true, i apologise, my last post didnt come out as light hearted as i intended having read it back to myself!

ReputationRep:
    very true, i apologise, my last post didnt come out as light hearted as i intended having read it back to myself!
    No problem. I've done that myself a few times!(come across far more aggressively than was intended)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartw101)
    yeah i dont belive in god, there are some many religions and each have flaws in there stories.

Just like you have flaws in your grammar!

ReputationRep:
    How does it seem a pretty solid theory? It's a theory I'll grant you. But really the idea isn't any more solid than the theory that GOD saying "let their be light"

Good point. There is no experimental evidence to support this theory, and no prospect of any such evidence.
    It also does not explain where these dimensions containing other universes, the multiverse came from.

I realise of course that the same argument can be used on a belief in any higher being. I would therefore like to reserve judgement.

It does strike me though that the religious people here are much more tolerant of the athiests than vice-versa.

Please remember also that you will find it difficult to find a Christian, in Europe at least, who will try and tell you God created the world in 7 days a few thousand years ago, or dispute the Big Bang Theory.

ReputationRep:
    many people here seem to straight away believe that religion = god. this infact is not entirely true. the religion that i follow does not have a particular god that we must believe in, but suggests that provided you remain non violent, considerate etc that when you die, you will have a chance to become this sort of higher being (a powerful force). i follow this religion as it gives me guidelines to remain civilised in the world.

however despite the fact that i follow a religion, im also agonistic (not sure).

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.