The Student Room Group

Do you have to slow for animals in the road?

My instructor told me that you mustn't slow down for an animals crossing the road and should keep a steady speed (e.g. for a cat). Is this true?

If it happened on a lesson I would not care what he says, I would slow. In a test I don't want to fail though.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I get told to slow down for squirrels and foxes
I dont remember the official rules
But I slow down anyways
Yeah my instructor told me that you're not supposed to slow down for anything smaller than a deer, or something like that anyway! Apparently you would be given a fail if you do slow down for a smaller animal in your test, but I'd like to think that some examiners would be empathetic and let you off! I know that I wouldn't be able to just ignore an animal and run the risk of hitting them though :/
Reply 4
You aren't really supposed to slam on, because the car behind could plow into the back of you. I know the human thing to do is slow down but it's better just to plow on and hope that it doesn't suffer.
In my opinion, its a life - aslong as you aren't endangering a life by slowing suddenly (ie, car behind you going into you if you try to avoid animal) then you should do your best to avoid the animal.

My instructor said that aslong as I didn't have anybody behind me, slowing for an animal wouldn't affect my test. but it never came up (well........except for those 3 silly women who decided to step out in front of me 10 metres from a crossing(with lights!) so I had to do an emergency stop.......lol)
Reply 6

Not if youre getting mugged off by a squirrel!
(edited 11 years ago)
If you don't slow for a cat, you'll have me to reckon with :mad:
I was in the car with my mum and she had to stop the car to let a family of ducklings cross the road following their mum. :teehee:
technically you shouldn't slow down, but if you hit an animal it could get clipped into someone elses or your own windscreen causing an accident so its best to avoid it.. though roadkill is sometimes unavoidable when another car would go into the back if you if you stopped for example.... been driving 2 years or so so far ive not killed anything apart from a toad or 2 i dont want to kill something either! :frown:
Reply 10
Well if a cat was for some reason running across a motorway, and you were travelling at 70 mph, would you stop? If you suddenly stop it would be very dangerous for you and the drivers behind you. You suddenly slowing down puts your life and others at risk.
Reply 11
My instructor told me that in general you aren't supposed to slow down. But one time there was a HUGE goose just sitting in the middle of the road and it gave me this look that said "I ain't movin'" and there weren't any cars behind me or anything so I stopped and revved at it for a bit till it moved out the way :P
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
If you don't slow for a cat, you'll have me to reckon with :mad:

if you do slow down and someone dies in the crash following your sudden and unexpected braking, then you have to deal with your conscience.
Original post by moritzplatz
if you do slow down and someone dies in the crash following your sudden and unexpected braking, then you have to deal with your conscience.

Yes, and if I kill a cat, I also have to deal with my conscience.
Good day.
No, unless its a big one like a horse or dear
Good day.

you maybe, not most of the rational people in this world, luckily.

Good day to you.
whats with the neg? o.0 all I said was that if I wasn't going to be a danger, I'd try to avoid the animal, and then what my instructor told me before my test? :confused:
Good day.

people are more important than cats
Original post by manchesterunited15
people are more important than cats

Why the assumption that you kill a person or you kill a cat?
It's just not the case.
Look back at the original scenario.
You'll find nothing about motorways there either.
Why the assumption that you kill a person or you kill a cat?
It's just not the case.
Look back at the original scenario.
You'll find nothing about motorways there either.

The comment you originally replied to said "if you do slow down and someone dies in the crash following your sudden and unexpected braking"... so if you slow down to avoid killing a cat, you risk killing a person instead. So the assumption is you kill a person or you kill a cat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending