The Student Room Group

Year 11 January science exams!

Hi, in January, like many of you I'm sure, I have my second module of my science gcse's (b2, c2 and p2). I haven't properly started my revision yet and I don't know the best, most efficient way of doing so. I was really pleased with the results I achieved in the first module and want to keep it up, but howww? Anyone with any suggestions or who's in the same boat as me?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Well have u not just had mock exams and revised for those surely that's taught you something about how to revise for them. Personally I plan to:
1) Re visited my textbook twice
2) do all questions in my textbook at the end of each unit
3) visit my ker boodle book- and do all exam and summ Q's from there
4) CGp Workbook and Letts
5) Visit my Revision Guides.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
I think revision is best done in a very organised manner. Being unorganised can often lead to last minute panics - believe, I've been there!

Things I like to do are:
1) Set myself a strict timetable and stick to it!!
2) Work through the timetable spending half the time making detailed yet concise notes on what I have to know for the exam. I tend to type these up onto the computer and then you can add diagrams, etc and easily add stuff if you miss it out!
Now would be the time to do any questions from the book or recapping old knowledge :smile:
3) The remaining time I will spend doing past papers from the exam board. These are perhaps the best way of actually getting up to speed and you will then know what to expect from the exam when you come to do it!

Hope this has helped you :smile:
Reply 3
Should have really started earlier, for example before the mocks I had already finished revision so the mocks were pretty much past papers in my eyes. Now I am just going over revision continuously. I need some more A*
GCSE bite size, read a paragraph at a time, once you've read a paragraph without looking at the screen, right down what you can remember, if its important key words you can remember, then great! your revising :smile:
I'm sitting those exams too! I have been just copying out of the revision guides word for word! I plan to do lots of practise questions closer to the time as well! :smile:

Reply 6
some channels on youtube work wonders
Reply 7
Got B1,C1,P1 , B4,C4,P4 and B6,C6,P6 this month, as well as an English Language exam in the same week as the 1s. Copying out doesn't really work for me, flash cards are the way forward :cool:.
Reply 8
Yeah, note making, flash cards and past papers are the way forward :smile: But when you go through the textbook put a sticky label on the pages you don't understand then look at them later in much more detail until you understand it completely :biggrin: because it's always the topics you are unsure on that seem to come up...

Reply 9
Original post by Mário
Got B1,C1,P1 , B4,C4,P4 and B6,C6,P6 this month, as well as an English Language exam in the same week as the 1s. Copying out doesn't really work for me, flash cards are the way forward :cool:.

Oh my god, whoah, I feel so sorry for you! D:
Original post by LizzyHardy
Yeah, note making, flash cards and past papers are the way forward :smile: But when you go through the textbook put a sticky label on the pages you don't understand then look at them later in much more detail until you understand it completely :biggrin: because it's always the topics you are unsure on that seem to come up...
Ok, thanks, I like the idea of the sticky labels in the pages you don't understand, I'll try that out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by tabim26
some channels on youtube work wonders

for example one is

myGCSEscience

but that is AQA

and it helps me alot :smile:
I did that exam in year 10, I did foundation and got a C. Now I'm doing higher for additional science :smile:

For that exam I just read the revision guide and made mind maps, if you do mind maps do the sentences in different colours because the brains remembers things in colours!:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest