Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody else found their spelling and grammar as improved since they have started university? For some reason I find mine is improving all the time, when I left school I could hardly a write a sentance without making major errors. I know my spelling is still a bit iffy but I am surprised it is improving becauase a lot of people say it gets worse after they leave school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Has anybody else found their spelling and grammar as improved since they have started university? For some reason I find mine is improving all the time, when I left school I could hardly a write a sentance without making major errors. I know my spelling is still a bit iffy but I am surprised it is improving becauase a lot of people say it gets worse after they leave school.
    My spelling is pretty crap but i definately notice some slight improvement.

ReputationRep:
    All of life is learning.

ReputationRep:
    *sentence
    *because
    *has

Are you sure? (J/K)

ReputationRep:
    i havent noticed any significant change - but ive only been at uni for 5/6 months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    i havent noticed any significant change - but ive only been at uni for 5/6 months
    Nice avatar by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    *sentence
    *because
    *has
    *sentence

Are you sure? (J/K)
    ok has and because were just typeo's but sentance was a genuine spelling error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    *sentence
    *because
    *has
    *sentence

Are you sure? (J/K)
    You're not doing much better by repeating a word!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    You're not doing much better by repeating a word!
    :confused:

EDIT: Yes I just noticed...but at least it reinforces the point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Nice avatar by the way.
    thanks, i changed it late last night
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My typing improved enormously when I started university - mainly because I went from having never touched a PC to spending an unhealthy amount of time in chat rooms - nothing to do with the course.

Although 4 yrs of geology helped me to perfect the art of writing in small caps (field notebook technique - keeps things legible even when its snowing and you're half asleep).

ReputationRep:
    ok has and because were just typeo's but sentance was a genuine spelling error
    Least you can correct it now
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    definately
    define-finite-ly
    definitely

ReputationRep:
    My typing is already pretty good thanks to years on MSN. My spelling/grammar has also always been good, because I have a good memory for that sort of thing I really can't say if it's improved since being here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    define-finite-ly
    definitely
    See what I mean? I suck at simple spelling. Words like Carboxyhaemoglobin? no problems - but when it comes to simple words i'm useless.

ReputationRep:
    Part of my problem is because I have high frequency hearing loss and refuse to wear my crappy hearing aids a lot things like sentence and sentance sound the same to me, so I am never sure if it should have an e or a or example.

A lot of it also due to lazyness when I was at school, I hated school and didn't really see the point, I was going to become a delboy when I was 16.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    See what I mean? I suck at simple spelling. Words like Carboxyhaemoglobin? no problems - but when it comes to simple words i'm useless.
    I have trouble with peice (I know that's wrong but my fingers still type it that way) and necessary...although I'm getting better at that one.

My writing suffers because my fingers go on autopilot so d's turn into g's and b's turn into p's and vice versa ...lots of scribbled out tails in my writing - I abandoned joined up writing when I was 12.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to become a delboy when I was 16.
    One day rodney, we'll be miwionnaires!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I have trouble with peice (I know that's wrong but my fingers still type it that way) and necessary...although I'm getting better at that one.

My writing suffers because my fingers go on autopilot so d's turn into g's and b's turn into p's and vice versa ...lots of scribbled out tails in my writing - I abandoned joined up writing when I was 12.
    WOW! thats so like me - that must be a condition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I think spelling and grammar improve with the amount of writing one does, so naturally it will improve at university.

However, I'm wondering why people place such an importance on spelling. Its not really that important is it, unless it would cause the meaning of something to be confused, and even that's acheivable with perfectly good spelling and grammar! I used to pride myself on good spelling and grammar (now mostly gone to pot!) but now I'm wondering just why its so important, especially when its the idea of something that's important, writing (and speaking) is just a triviality and irrelevant extension of our intellect unrelated to our actual thoughts. We think in words (and pictures), but not in semicolons and apostrophes. To me, the spoken word and the ideas some words convey are much more important.
    Agreed.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.