Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    WOW! thats so like me - that must be a condition.
    Can'tspelltosaveyourlifeitis! (J/K)

ReputationRep:
    we get marks knocked off if we have bad spelling/grammer in assignments, so it so important there and i agree with that as bas spelling and grammer make a report look and sound unprofessional

but in everday use, like on UKL i dont think it is problem to miss-spell words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I think spelling and grammar improve with the amount of writing one does, so naturally it will improve at university.

However, I'm wondering why people place such an importance on spelling. Its not really that important is it, unless it would cause the meaning of something to be confused, and even that's acheivable with perfectly good spelling and grammar! I used to pride myself on good spelling and grammar (now mostly gone to pot!) but now I'm wondering just why its so important, especially when its the idea of something that's important, writing (and speaking) is just a triviality and irrelevant extension of our intellect unrelated to our actual thoughts. We think in words (and pictures), but not in semicolons and apostrophes. To me, the spoken word and the ideas some words convey are much more important.
    try sending an application form / covering letter to a respectable company with a spelling mistake in and you'll probably suffer
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    Can'tspelltosaveyourlifeitis! (J/K)
    more like lazy/absentminded-itis

ReputationRep:
    Spelling for me is very important as I create website for the public sector in my part time job. The one I worked on my last contract was a Manchester university learning department.

It would look very bad if somthing was spelt wrong, I did make a spelling error and when my boss spotted I was very emberassed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Spelling for me is very important as I create website for the public sector in my part time job. The one I worked on my last contract was a Manchester university learning department.

It would look very bad if somthing was spelt wrong, I did make a spelling error and when my boss spotted I was very emberassed.
    there were 5 spelling errors in the governments white paper on the future of higher education....4 of which would have been picked up by MS words spellchecker :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    more like lazy/absentminded-itis
    Yes, I bet in an English exam you would make way fewer spelling errors.

ReputationRep:
    Who needs the ability to spell when you have spellcheck?

ReputationRep:

*embarassed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    there were 5 spelling errors in the governments white paper on the future of higher education....4 of which would have been picked up by MS words spellchecker :eek:
    I am not sure who is it blame, but as spelling standards are getting worse amongst the population I would say the blame lies with the government some where. My mum is 100% times better spelling than me and her education was not any better than mine.

I think the big problem I noticed is that secondary schools assume all pupils will have a decent standard of spelling by their 11, where as primary schools don't seem to teach it correctly.

Its either that or the young generation just don't think spelling is important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    That was the ironic thing there was so no software with spell checkers there so it was hard. I guess I should buy a dictionary (sp?).

ReputationRep:
    That was the ironic thing there was so no software with spell checkers there so it was hard. I guess I should buy a dictionary (sp?).
    dictionary.com - but i think it is american... maybe there is a .co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Dam. Why are dictionaries so dam confusing, theres loads of words, and how do we know that their spelling is right?

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I've found my spelling and grammar has improved since starting to post on UKL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    You still need the ability to know which words to use. For example, spellcheck wouldn't pick up the word "there" because it's a real word, but if you're using it to say "their dog was brown" ("there dog was brown") it would be wrong.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I bet in an English exam you would make way fewer spelling errors.
    actually I make far fewer errors writing things down that typing - if I'm not sure I spell it every way and pick the one that looks right.

However my writing always has and always will look appalling....finally got things improved by double spacing everything in exams (and leaving 3 lines blank at the bottom of the page to add in an extra paragraph).

And using small caps (goto word select a paragraph right click and choose format font and check the "small caps" box to see what I'm talking about) in field note books/maps

I don't write anything down these days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    You still need the ability to know which words to use. For example, spellcheck wouldn't pick up the word "there" because it's a real word, but if you're using it to say "their dog was brown" ("there dog was brown") it would be wrong.
    True but those can usually be spotted by reading through a few times.

ReputationRep:
    I think spelling and grammar improve with the amount of writing one does, so naturally it will improve at university.

However, I'm wondering why people place such an importance on spelling. Its not really that important is it, unless it would cause the meaning of something to be confused, and even that's acheivable with perfectly good spelling and grammar! I used to pride myself on good spelling and grammar (now mostly gone to pot!) but now I'm wondering just why its so important, especially when its the idea of something that's important, writing (and speaking) is just a triviality and irrelevant extension of our intellect unrelated to our actual thoughts. We think in words (and pictures), but not in semicolons and apostrophes. To me, the spoken word and the ideas some words convey are much more important.
    I know we don't think in semicolons and apostrophes, but written language is supposed to help people to understand our meaning first time.

If you're talking to someone, you can explain yourself again, use emphasis on different words, or make hand gestures (ahem) or facial expressions to enhance your meaning.

In writing, punctuation has the same function, and it helps the reader to get through your sentences without stumbling and having to re-read them. It just makes things easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    True but those can usually be spotted by reading through a few times.
    Yes, but if you don't know how to spell in the first place (because you always use spellcheck) you won't be able to correct it as you won't know that it's wrong!

ReputationRep:
    That's true. but only because we're conditioned to think that bad spelling and grammar is in some way a sign of unintelligence, which it isn't in my book.
    I have bad spelling and I'd say I'm pretty intelligent so I agree.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.