Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was worry my poor spelling makes me look unintelligent as I am quite technical I can get away with it in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Its a load of cobblers really isn't it? Simply some people's brains are more atuned to remembering spelling and grammar than others. The best speller in the world could be as thick as two short planks!
    Yeah I suppose there is a lot truth in it. I think how clever you are depends on a lot of things, for example my sister is much better than me at maths but when it comes to Geography I am 10 times better.

ReputationRep:
    That's true. but only because we're conditioned to think that bad spelling and grammar is in some way a sign of unintelligence, which it isn't in my book.
    not really, it isn't - its just mainly seen as a sign of professionalism

ReputationRep:
    Hmm in the 'I ran a spelling check after I typed it' sense, yes.
    the only problem with spelling checkers is that, sometimes you can miss-spell a word, but it still is a valid word e.g. you miss-spell deaf as dead. Its always good to proof read your work

ReputationRep:
    Hmm in the 'I ran a spelling check after I typed it' sense, yes.
    if people read something littered with spelling mistakes then its does not give them a good impression of that person

maybe spelling mistakes aren't the be-all and end-all, but if you cannot produce a near perfect application letter or something similar, then your prospects of being taken seriously could be severely discounted

there aren't that many things you can get wrong in writing a letter - you have the content, structure, details, spelling and grammar

This is the way the world works - a lot of businesses need to attract clients. Sending them proposals with spelling / grammatical errors in will hinder them.

I am not really talking about the odd spelling mistake in a letter - this is excuseable, but I am talking about things with several spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Plus, you should proof read, not use spellchecks.

ReputationRep:
    Its in the eye of the beholder. People spell badly on this forum all the time, but I don't automatically assume they're stupid. I'm much more bothered about what they have to say than how they say it.
    I wasn't counting this forum... I was talking about professionally - you expect people to make a good effort there.

ReputationRep:
    onyl a small amount of our writing has to be professional or impress, most writing is just evreyday general stuff - notes etc

ReputationRep:
    Ok, you're saying good spelling etc creates a good impression which I agree with; what I'm saying is: that is just because of the psychology we've created for ourselves. Its not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
    I feel it is. Professionals and potential clients are not going to be impressed with poor spelling and grammar.

This can create the impression, whether misleading or not, that there has been a lack of effort put into the document / letter / report. If numbers are also included, they may hold little trust in these.

I understand what you are saying, but if people do not take the time to make an effort in their proposals then they run the risk of not being taking seriously.

Good spelling does not create a good impression. Bad spelling and grammar create a bad impression.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say my spelling hasn't changed but my typing has, from spending so much time on this place! I'm sooooo quick now (well compared to before, my typing was slow and unintelligible)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Has anybody else found their spelling and grammar as improved since they have started university? For some reason I find mine is improving all the time, when I left school I could hardly a write a sentance without making major errors. I know my spelling is still a bit iffy but I am surprised it is improving becauase a lot of people say it gets worse after they leave school.
    Nope mine is now appalling computer spellcheckers and grammar checkers mean that i dont have to think about it anymore. Mine used to be excellent.

ReputationRep:
    Only because people are conditioned to believe its a bad thing!
    Suppose you have a letter or a report that you know is perfect other than the spelling / grammatical mistakes.

People in general will not put as much trust into it as they will not know what the spelling / grammatical mistakes are a result of. They will assume that:

i). There has been a lack of effort put into it - this is unprofessional
    ii). It has not been proof-read / peer reviewed - this is unprofessional

If you are being paid a a considerable some to produce a report on something, then they will certainly never assume you lack intelligence. If you didn't have intelligence, you wouldn't be in a position to accept the assignment in the first place.

What I am saying is that spelling / grammatical mistakes are often seen as a sign of carelessness, not as a lack of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    you are being paid a a considerable some
    tut tut! careless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    Suppose you have a letter or a report that you know is perfect other than the spelling / grammatical mistakes.

People in general will not put as much trust into it as they will not know what the spelling / grammatical mistakes are a result of. They will assume that:

i). There has been a lack of effort put into it - this is unprofessional
    ii). It has not been proof-read / peer reviewed - this is unprofessional

If you are being paid a a considerable some to produce a report on something, then they will certainly never assume you lack intelligence. If you didn't have intelligence, you wouldn't be in a position to accept the assignment in the first place.

What I am saying is that spelling / grammatical mistakes are often seen as a sign of carelessness, not as a lack of intelligence.
    "considerable sum"

you obviously didnt proof read this reply and have put a lack of effort into it joking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    tut tut! careless!
    damn it, beat me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    "considerable sum"

you obviously didnt proof read this reply and have put a lack of effort into it joking
    yep, I didn't proof-read it, but I'm not going to miss out on a job / big contract as a result!

still hope you take my comments seriously enough though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marabara)
    yep, I didn't proof-read it, but I'm not going to miss out on a job / big contract as a result!

still hope you take my comments seriously enough though...
    yes i agree with you, but in any other situation (where you don't need to impress or come across as professional) spelling and grammar shouldn't be much of an issue

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.