kylerfc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was wondering if anyone could give me examples of discursive essays online.
I am currently in the middle of writing mine and I am struggling with how to structure the paragraphs. I am just unsure how to go about writing it.

Thanks
MC1723
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Start with a topic sentence such as; (This is an example from 'Should we take more care in what we eat?' that i did in 4th year (initial draft so it may have a few grammatical errors!))
'An underlying factor that has to be thought about considerately is the health consequences that are associated with it.'
Then expand;
'There are short term and long terms repercussions that come with obesity and being overweight. Short terms are obviously the less concerning however for long period of time, if action has not be taken then the consequences are proven to be much more fatal and even life threatening especially with Cononary Heart disease and Type 2 diabetes on the rise.
Then maybe add stats;
"With over 80% of the people who are diabetic are because they are overweight or obese. Cononary Heart disease, the more catastrophic of the two has even outdone smoking as the most significant cause of preventable death. It has been estimated that there is 750,000 deaths a year, with 250 occurring per day.
Then conclude it
"More upsetting enough is fact that it is preventable and that overweight adolescents are more at risk of dying from heart disease that any other category"

This structure however may now suit every topic so you may just want to ask your teacher for help or something
jadoreétudier
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's four examples of discursive essays on this SQA website:
http://www.understandingstandards.or...s/introduction

The discursive essays are examples 9,10, 11 and 12. There's also some personal/reflective essays and short stories.

Click, on candidates response, then the picture to read the essay. Once you've read the essay you can insert the mark you think it will get, and then you will be shown what mark it actually got and a short description of why it got that mark.

It's designed for teachers or markers to use, but I find it quite helpful in actually seeing how good our essays have to be.
BRobertson99
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MC1723)
Start with a topic sentence such as; (This is an example from 'Should we take more care in what we eat?' that i did in 4th year (initial draft so it may have a few grammatical errors!))
'An underlying factor that has to be thought about considerately is the health consequences that are associated with it.'
Then expand;
'There are short term and long terms repercussions that come with obesity and being overweight. Short terms are obviously the less concerning however for long period of time, if action has not be taken then the consequences are proven to be much more fatal and even life threatening especially with Cononary Heart disease and Type 2 diabetes on the rise.
Then maybe add stats;
"With over 80% of the people who are diabetic are because they are overweight or obese. Cononary Heart disease, the more catastrophic of the two has even outdone smoking as the most significant cause of preventable death. It has been estimated that there is 750,000 deaths a year, with 250 occurring per day.
Then conclude it
"More upsetting enough is fact that it is preventable and that overweight adolescents are more at risk of dying from heart disease that any other category"

This structure however may now suit every topic so you may just want to ask your teacher for help or something

any chance you have your full copy of this?? i am extremely interested to read ?? thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (47)
17.6%
No one else does (84)
31.46%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.49%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (90)
33.71%
We don't use a video platform (5)
1.87%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.25%

Watched Threads