Communication and Culture

Watch this thread
2012mel2012
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Researching the programme 'Outnumbered' and need help as to what terms I can use in my coursework. Examples are codes, communciation, context, culture etc. Thanks!
Hal.E.Lujah
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
:dontknow: I'm afraid. What was the coursework title? Might allow more room to help. I'm afraid to say I haven't seen the programme, but hopefully this bump will attract someone who has :awesome:
ikz94
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 2012mel2012)
Researching the programme 'Outnumbered' and need help as to what terms I can use in my coursework. Examples are codes, communciation, context, culture etc. Thanks!
Hey if this is realting to the family theme then you could look at the title: Do portrayals of TV Family roles and Nulcear families still exist in the British culture? somehting along those lines.
2012mel2012
Rep:
thanks for your help! x
risteard
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I teach this. Are u doing AS or A2, are u aware of the key concepts that must be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
thanks for your help! x
U are doing the 1000 word essay already, AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
2012mel2012
Rep:
I am doing as level. I can include the johari window, denotation, connotation and denotation, persona,ideal self, mirror self, stereotypes, the few in my first message, identity, power, representation, value, accent, dialect, kinesics, anchorage, icon, semiotics, redundancy etc.
2012mel2012
Rep:
yes, this is the 1000 word exploration and our draft copy has to be in a week after xmas hols.
2012mel2012
Rep:
also can include things to do with family, nuclear family and relationships etc.
2012mel2012
Rep:
and extended family
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I am doing as level. I can include the johari window, denotation, connotation and denotation, persona,ideal self, mirror self, stereotypes, the few in my first message, identity, power, representation, value, accent, dialect, kinesics, anchorage, icon, semiotics, redundancy etc.
U don't need to use all of those. What is your statement? Has your teacher given u aqa s criteria?

Posted from TSR Mobile
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
and extended family
Have u done the 500 word investigation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Many of these are more appropriate for question 3 in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2012mel2012
Rep:
I have done the 500 word investigation, I have chosen the statement Outnumbered? Power relationships in the family, from the sample titles the teacher gave us. I don't think we were given any assessment criteria?
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I have done the 500 word investigation, I have chosen the statement Outnumbered? Power relationships in the family, from the sample titles the teacher gave us. I don't think we were given any assessment criteria?
Mmn. I would stick with Goffman and rogers in terms of presentation of self. Socialization and roles and what structural theories say about this. Is your teacher an English teacher? Comms should be taught by sociologists. It seems like u are really racing through the course. When is the presentation due?

Posted from TSR Mobile
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm gonna do the food one with my lot. It's easier to work key concepts into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2012mel2012
Rep:
1000 word i due week we go back. No she is a communication and culture teacher. We are going to be doing another 500 words as well. so i may do that on food. is food the easiest one then? i think we're all doing food or we may have a choice.
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
1000 word i due week we go back. No she is a communication and culture teacher. We are going to be doing another 500 words as well. so i may do that on food. is food the easiest one then? i think we're all doing food or we may have a choice.
That is all she teaches? U have three assessments. 500 words on personal communication, 1000 words on the interaction between the personal and the social and a PowerPoint presentation on personal identity this is supposed tosat ten minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ikz94
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by risteard)
I teach this. Are u doing AS or A2, are u aware of the key concepts that must be used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Risterad I'm doing A2 comms an mt topic is Consumer My 2000 woed essay is focusing on Disney I just need to know how I am suppsoe to set it out? dp you have any templates or useful studd i could sue for this , my tecaher sucks and his got soemthing against me and others have said it in my class.
risteard
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
firstly it's Risteard lol.

err , disney postmodernism, simulaccra, baudrillard....

do you have to do the consumer one? i'm getting my lot to do 'the other'.

umm, short answer is no.

Is your teacher a sociologist? we tend to be better at teaching comms and culture in my experience, often they get English or media teachers to do it who don't have a real understanding of theory, last year I got 5 A* in A2 out of class of 15, took over from an English teacher who hadn't got any A grades in years, anyway, *****ing over...lol.

postmodernism is really what you need to be looking at if u have to do consumerism. that green Bennett book is a waste of time, have you looked in any A2 sociology books? they will be much more of use to you.

in postmodernity EVERYTHING is commodified, the symbolic value of the sign, branding etc as oppossed to the modernist exchange value of the sign.

give me a bit more info in terms of what you are looking at and will be able to give u more advice

when did u start this? i'm looking to start about february, it seems your teacher is racing through the syllabus, you only have to be taught to ansewr three questions....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads