Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Zatchels vs The Cambridge Satchel Company Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr version - has anyone got a satchel from either of these places? If so, how long have you had it, and what condition is it in now? Are they fairly sturdy and well made? Would you recommend them to someone else?

To anyone who's had both, or seen/felt both in person, which would you go for?

~~~~~

Recently my boss said that my faithful leather satchel looked so gross that it could sprout legs and walk away, I figured it's time to buy a new one.

13" £79 - http://www.zatchels.com/bags/collect...r-satchel.html

or

13" £98 https://www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk/buy/the-classic/

I quite like the look of both these satchels brands (let's face it, they're pretty damn similar!), but before dropping such a chunk of cash I wanted to know what they're like. I can't decide between them, on one hand I want to get the Zatchel one because it's cheaper, and if I like it I could *potentially* save myself £20 to put towards another smaller one if I like it. One the other hand, I've heard a lot more about The Cambridge Satchel Company than I have Zatchels. If I get a new bag, I really need it to last. My current one is from Scaramanga, and it was absolutely beautiful when it was new, but two years down the line and the strap is disintegrating. And it's generally looking really battered now, not in a good or 'vintage' way either

Which would you go for?

Thanks in advance! :suith:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the one from The Cambridge Satchel Company. I have a satchel from there and it's brilliant. I've had it for a while now and it doesn't show any signs of wear

ReputationRep:
    I must confess, I'm not a huge fan of The Cambridge Satchel Company's products. I liked how they looked on their website but after seeing them and touching them in person I wasn't impressed. The leather they use feels pretty cheap and that was rather disappointing. Having said that, for the money I'm not sure you could do much better from any other brands at a similar price point and after you've used it for a while it might get bit of a nicer feel to it.

I haven't got any experience of the Zatchel so I can't make a useful comparison but I certainly don't love The Cambridge Satchel Company as much as a lot of other TSR users do; it seems to be dramatically overrated to me.

ReputationRep:
    Try to find a Coach satchel at a large discount (prefably 50% or more, try outlets) and they will be similar in price, but far better in quality

ReputationRep:
    I dont like their products either, I prefer other inexpensive brands compared to this.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Zatchel one looks nicer.
    These ones are not exactly the same, but nearly half the price. I have had mine for well over a year now and I use it practically every day in the rain etc and it is still in good condition. If you wait, they usually have stock of their leather satchels with the handle on the top (that's the kind I have).
    http://www.bolsitabags.co.uk/leather-fair-trade-bags/

(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Tl;dr version - :

ReputationRep:
    Tl;dr version - has anyone got a satchel from either of these places? If so, how long have you had it, and what condition is it in now? Are they fairly sturdy and well made? Would you recommend them to someone else?
    Just came across this thread as I'm facing the same decision! I found this blog post of someone who bought one of each and compared them pretty helpful:

http://www.charlotteswebblog.co.uk/2...l-satchel.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouboutinLove)
    Just came across this thread as I'm facing the same decision! I found this blog post of someone who bought one of each and compared them pretty helpful:

Very

Very helpful link. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies!

This link was really helpful. I decided to go with Zatchels in the end too, then just had the really hard task of deciding what colour I wanted, what size I wanted/needed, whether I wanted a handle on it... Buying bags is such hard work :laugh:

In the end, I bought a 14.5" dark brown satchel with a handle, and a 13" red satchel with a handle. Maybe not the smartest idea to buy two when I haven't seen them in real life before, but I guess I have 7 days to return them if I don't like them.

Have you decided yet?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies!

This link was really helpful. I decided to go with Zatchels in the end too, then just had the really hard task of deciding what colour I wanted, what size I wanted/needed, whether I wanted a handle on it... Buying bags is such hard work :laugh:

In the end, I bought a 14.5" dark brown satchel with a handle, and a 13" red satchel with a handle. Maybe not the smartest idea to buy two when I haven't seen them in real life before, but I guess I have 7 days to return them if I don't like them.

Have you decided yet?
    Good choice! I love the classic colours. I think I'm going to go for a Zatchel too, probably the black 13" one (I only want it to fit my iPad in and a couple of other small bits) and maybe a large saddle bag in dark brown, I haven't actually bought anything yet though! From all the reviews I've read most people say the Zatchels have thicker/better quality leather, and they're cheaper, so seems like the best option. Please tell us what you think when you get yours!

If anyone's looking for more info (about Cambridge satchels, Zatchels and the Leather Satchel Company ones) there's tons of info/pictures on this Purse Forum thread:

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-...ls-680039.html

ReputationRep:
    Good choice! I love the classic colours. I think I'm going to go for a Zatchel too, probably the black 13" one (I only want it to fit my iPad in and a couple of other small bits) and maybe a large saddle bag in dark brown, I haven't actually bought anything yet though! From all the reviews I've read most people say the Zatchels have thicker/better quality leather, and they're cheaper, so seems like the best option. Please tell us what you think when you get yours!
    Classic colours are definitely the best :yep: Although, I really liked the look of the cracked leather floral ones, I just don't think I'd use them that often. Ahhh, I was really torn over whether to get a saddle bag or not!

I'll definitely let you know what they're like when they arrive

ReputationRep:
    I got mine yesterday and they are absolutely beautiful :love:

The dark brown one is almost black, and I'm kinda regretting not getting it in chestnut instead, but I still like it. The red one however, :coma: They feel like they're really good quality, they're definitely well made and the leather feels nice generally. The only bad thing about them is that they are incredibly stiff.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone with a Zatchel instead of a Cambridge Satchel Company one and I really like the look of it and I'm tempted to buy one for myself. It always seems to fit everything she needs in and looks different to a bag from Topshop or River Island.

ReputationRep:
    I got my satchel from The Cambridge Satchel Company for Christmas and it's beautiful! I refused to buy one from Zatchels; they copied off The Cambridge Satchel Company and I'd prefer the real deal rather than a copycat.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-...-Zatchels.html

ReputationRep:
    I've no experience with Zatchels, so I've no point of comparison, but I have used my Cambridge Satchel Company one every day for pushing two years, now, and the only wear is some slight rubbing around the strap. It's still as shiny and delicious everywhere else as when I first bought it. Thoroughly recommend!

ReputationRep:
    I've had a 14inch Cambridge satchel for nearly 2 years now..I still like it but the leather ripped where the buckle is meant to be so now I have 1 buckle on my bag!
    It's not as durable as its made out to be..but it could be my fault because I use it for 6th form and I carry quite a few heavy books.
    I think i'm going to buy a smaller one in red

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yumnaarrhhh)
    I've had a 14inch Cambridge satchel for nearly 2 years now..I still like it but the leather ripped where the buckle is meant to be so now I have 1 buckle on my bag!
    It's not as durable as its made out to be..but it could be my fault because I use it for 6th form and I carry quite a few heavy books.
    I think i'm going to buy a smaller one in red
    I'm worried about this happening as well. I've had my Cambridge satchel for a few months now, and I love it. I receive so many compliments for it as well. :cool: But I end up filling it with so many things that the back of it tends to bulge out, and I'm worried that I'm ruining it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to throw something controversial into the mix...my mum just bought me an amazing satchel from Tom Brown's Satchels, and having had a look at Zatchels and Cambridge, the quality of my satchel is better and also was cheaper! A 15" satchel (the size that mine is, to hold my books and my laptop...though all of the companies do the smaller ones in a handbag size too) from Cambridge costs £104, £97 from Zatchels, but only £81 from Tom Brown's Satchels. My mum said that she placed an order with Cambridge and she waited for a month, with no communication and no satchel arriving, so she cancelled her order and found Tom Brown's online, which was luckily cheaper and arrived within three days! Whatever you decide, satchels are pretty cool anyway, and even Cath Kidson does some cool designs! (Though obviously I think that mine is the best) C xxx

ReputationRep:
    Please do yourselves a favour and do not buy from Zatchels.

They are a time wasting company.

I ordered/bought/paid for 2 small handbags for my wife on the 26th May 2015 and it is now July 20th and have had no responses to emails or phone calls.

Indeed I called them at 4:50pm and they had switched their phones off! Closed for the evening!

They clearly don't spend all of their free time looking after their customers or indeed making bags!

Very dissapointed and advise you all to think carefully before buying from them. (Zatchels.com)

ReputationRep:
    I have had my Zatchels for 3 years and it's still going strong. Fab company and if a strap or popper breaks original indeed any part of the bag they will replace or mend free of charge(as long as damage not through blatant misuse). Don't have a Cambridge satchel so cannot answer for them but even now people compliment the Zatchels satchel

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.