Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to hand in my choices form in soon so please reply.
    Are history and classics 'respected' subjects by unis. Do u think I should take 1 or both? Are they too similar subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    I have to hand in my choices form in soon so please reply.
    Are history and classics 'respected' subjects by unis. Do u think I should take 1 or both? Are they too similar subjects?

yea they are respected though maths is the most important a-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yea they are respected though maths is the most important a-level
    Maths isn't necessarily the most important A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Maths isn't necessarily the most important A Level.
    it is overall trust me no matter what subjects you do maths is the most respected as it shows your logical thinking

ReputationRep:
    But I am rubbish at maths so I don't want to take it

ReputationRep:
    But I am rubbish at maths so I don't want to take it
    Then there's no reason you should. Take the subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Then there's no reason you should. Take the subjects you enjoy.
    emm some subjects you may enjoy actualyl need maths a-level?

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't be silly maths alevel is not the most important, especially when there's a good chance you'd fail it. Classics and history are great, go for them.

ReputationRep:
    emm some subjects you may enjoy actualyl need maths a-level?
    such as?

ReputationRep:
    So I will take classics and History along with ICT and business studies.
    Is this a good range and a good combination of subjects? Please don't tell me to choose computing instead of ICT or economics instead of business studies because they don't do them at my school

ReputationRep:
    Is this a good range and a good combination of subjects? Please don't tell me to choose computing instead of ICT or economics instead of business studies because they don't do them at my school

Classics and History are great. I'm pretty open minded, but some people would consider ICT/Business to be a bit micky mouse (let's not beat around the bush.) If your main concern is succeeding in getting into the best universities, well you're not doing yourself a favour by choosing them, but if you're slightly normal don't worry about that and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    They sound good. If you think you will enjoy them then go for it. I do psychology which apparently is a micky mouse subject but i dont care because i think its great!

ReputationRep:
    TheWolf, you talk the most **** on these forums.

ReputationRep:
    I do ICT.. it's a good subject to do. Although it's not that respected in the rose-tinted world of academia, industry respect it alot and it's a very good A Level to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    TheWolf, you talk the most **** on these forums.
    look, im just offering some advice, why i would i want to talk **** or give **** advices to other people? If you look through the prospectus many degrees require you to have a-level maths and almost all the science and business related courses ( thats alot of degrees) says it requires you to do a-level maths or prefers you to have a-level maths, so you get an advantage if you do a-level maths. Do you know any other a-levels that is so sought after by admission tutos from such a wide range of courses?

ReputationRep:
    look, im just offering some advice, why i would i want to talk **** or give **** advices to other people? If you look through the prospectus many degrees require you to have a-level maths and almost all the science and business related courses ( thats alot of degrees) says it requires you to do a-level maths or prefers you to have a-level maths, so you get an advantage if you do a-level maths. Do you know any other a-levels that is so sought after by admission tutos from such a wide range of courses?
    If you do an A Level because universities 'like it', and the person who actually has to spend 2 years of their lives learning the material and sitting examinations doesn't like it - then that's pretty pisspoor advice to give out. In his first post - he asked about History and Classics.. whats that got to do with Maths? Why mention it? It's bizarre.. all you ever do you regurgitate ******** you have read on university websites, time tables etc.. without thinking much for yourself. Maths isn't 'the most important' A Level to have.. it varies in importance from person to person - that's such a stupid statement to make because you have no idea what route this person wants to take after College.

ReputationRep:
    If you do an A Level because universities 'like it', and the person who actually has to spend 2 years of their lives learning the material and sitting examinations doesn't like it - then that's pretty pisspoor advice to give out. In his first post - he asked about History and Classics.. whats that got to do with Maths? Why mention it? It's bizarre.. all you ever do you regurgitate ******** you have read on university websites, time tables etc.. without thinking much for yourself. Maths isn't 'the most important' A Level to have.. it varies in importance from person to person - that's such a stupid statement to make because you have no idea what route this person wants to take after College.
    the first question the post-starter asked is : Are history and classics 'respected' subjects by unis. I thought not , that is my opinion, and what is the justice of you give me a negative rep? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't give you negative rep, and I've never given out any sort of rep to anyone. At least another person sees you talk out your arse at least.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't give you negative rep, and I've never given out any sort of rep to anyone. At least another person sees you talk out your arse at least.
    I do agree with you on this one. The guy was referring to Classics and history, and he did say that he was no good at Maths, therefore this does close the option completely.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.