Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Why was an Oxford offer holder going for an interview at London South Bank?

And what's with wanting to study "Journalism" at Uni if you want to be a journalist? Do a more respected degree which involves writing - like English or History.
    a more respected degree?
    respected by whom?

do what's gonna make you happy Dani (even though i know you are anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Not the worst grades, because I had work experience at News International, the BBC etc and because I can speak french etc.

I don't want to be mean here, and it's not intended in that way, but did you get that work experience because of your family contacts? If so, that doesn't seem fair on the academically "better" people.

ReputationRep:
    Tek...**** off
    You know I'm right though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Hmm...Oxford vs. South Bank...hmmm let me see.... :rolleyes:
    Hmm...History vs Journalism...again, hmmm :rolleyes:
    </sarcasm>

Sorry, were you actually being serious?
    lol.
    Dani will go far

ReputationRep:
    Liss that's the exact point of WHY I'm taking a Journalism degree because in the end it doesn't matter because I've got fantastic contacts and I could get a job working at one of those places...maybe just as a runner but still working there anytime I wanted. Going to University is to help me get my footing to being independent.
    And Tek, yes I am being serious but this person explained to me she wanted to get in there because her mum has become disabled over the last few months after she sent the application off which meant she wanted to stay at home and help her mum.
    And Tinykates, thank you.

and the day I vote labour is the day that Satan skates to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Hmm...Oxford vs. South Bank...hmmm let me see.... :rolleyes:
    Hmm...History vs Journalism...again, hmmm :rolleyes:
    </sarcasm>

Sorry, were you actually being serious?
    SOme people are not suited to Oxford, and if she wants to do a journalism degree, that is probably a lot more relevant to her future career than an english or history degree.

ReputationRep:
    Liss that's the exact point of WHY I'm taking a Journalism degree because in the end it doesn't matter because I've got fantastic contacts and I could get a job working at one of those places...maybe just as a runner but still working there anytime I wanted.

Well you're very lucky! I'm just glad you have the talent as well, else it would be truely unfair rather than just a lucky advantage,

ReputationRep:
    Tek...Go away
    Hey!! He deserved that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Can you use full stops please and also commas as well because they break your sentences up into managable bits so they are more easily read which is really really important if you want to be a journalist you know and one day you might even get a few semi colons in too now that would be advanced stuff wouldn't it?
    Lol. Tek you're soooooo boring. As for breaking up my sentences. Hello?! It's an INTERNET FORUM! Do you really think it matters? At least I dnt typ lk ths!
    Aren't you like 10 anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Liss that's the exact point of WHY I'm taking a Journalism degree because in the end it doesn't matter because I've got fantastic contacts and I could get a job working at one of those places...maybe just as a runner but still working there anytime I wanted. Going to University is to help me get my footing to being independent.
    And Tek, yes I am being serious but this person explained to me she wanted to get in there because her mum has become disabled over the last few months after she sent the application off which meant she wanted to stay at home and help her mum.
    And Tinykates, thank you.

and the day I vote labour is the day that Satan skates to work
    So basically you are going to uni just for the independence and you don't need the degree? For all you know, your extra advantage over experience (in which you may have no hand) meant you took a place away from a student who probably deserved and wanted that place more.

I know I have got at you in the past Dani about doing journalism, but please don't take it the wrong way, of course I want you to fulfill your ambitions!! I just think it's very silly and rather unbelievable that you met someone of that calibre at this relatively "normal" university holding an oxford offer. Even if she did have an offer from Oxford, first of all why would she be applying for Journalism with subjects like that? And even if she did, why would they refuse someone with all As...your post suggested the reason she got rejected was because of her good grades - that is absurd!!!!!!

Oh well, it IS southbank we are on about here so maybe it's quite normal by their standards hehehe j/k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Finally, if this girl really wants to stay at home and help her mum, then the LSE is one billion times better than South Bank, wouldn't you agree?

Here's a mad idea: the LSE rejects her! God forbid she put somewhere more likely on there too.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly,I am not lying about that Oxford person. I didn't exactly ask her to go into depth about why she picked South Bank as one of her Universities, apart from her mum being ill.

Secondly, I have just as much right to go to University. If I want to do it then don't be so arsey.

Thirdly, Media Studies may have a bad rep' but the only people that started that was the media themselves...scared of being done out of their jobs maybe?

And finally, as for the "family contacts" thing...how many of you are going to become good lawyers/bankers/politicians if you aren't part of the Masons or a long heritage with lots of "friends". It's the way the world works.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Tek you're soooooo boring. As for breaking up my sentences. Hello?! It's an INTERNET FORUM! Do you really think it matters? At least I dnt typ lk ths!
    Aren't you like 10 anyway?
    Now now you two. Dani, don't start getting personal. Just because Tek is young, doesn't mean his views hold no ground.

As for Tek, you are (perhaps unintentionally) putting Dani down about what she wants to do. Worry about your own future - I'm sure now that she is on this path, any advice against what she is doing is not helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly,I am not lying about that Oxford person. I didn't exactly ask her to go into depth about why she picked South Bank as one of her Universities, apart from her mum being ill.

Secondly, I have just as much right to go to University. If I want to do it then don't be so arsey.

Thirdly, Media Studies may have a bad rep' but the only people that started that was the media themselves...scared of being done out of their jobs maybe?

And finally, as for the "family contacts" thing...how many of you are going to become good lawyers/bankers/politicians if you aren't part of the Masons or a long heritage with lots of "friends". It's the way the world works.
    If you were applying to higher places then the family connection would help. But let's face it, my local dustbin man won't suddenly become executive of the BBC because his grandfather's brother once removed worked there.

EDIT - Sorry to be so blunt!!! Of course I am by no means comparing you to someone like that - it was just an analogy for argument's sake. You WILL succeed if you believe in yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    As for Tek, you are (perhaps unintentionally) putting Dani down about what she wants to do. Worry about your own future - I'm sure now that she is on this path, any advice against what she is doing is not helpful.
    Thank you!
    This is boring. Tek just doesn't want to realise that there are other ways to becoming sucessful, my brother has 2 O Levels and a GNVQ in Travel & Tourism and is a millionaire. Doesn't that just prove sometimes your degree doesn't define you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    This is boring. Tek just doesn't want to realise that there are other ways to becoming sucessful, my brother has 2 O Levels and a GNVQ in Travel & Tourism and is a millionaire. Doesn't that just prove sometimes your degree doesn't define you.
    Hmmm, but is the only reason you do your degree for the eventual job? I am doing philosophy because I enjoy it and it will develop me intellectually - If you can only see the resulting piece of paper which comes from a degree, I don't think you will profit from it.

ReputationRep:
    But I mean I could go to a prestigous University (McGill) because my great-grandad built a library there and gave them loads of money years ago.I applied last year and when they realised who I was they offered me a full-scholarship. I didn't want to take the easy route though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Hmmm, but is the only reason you do your degree for the eventual job? I am doing philosophy because I enjoy it and it will develop me intellectually - If you can only see the resulting piece of paper which comes from a degree, I don't think you will profit from it.
    I'm doing journalism because I enjoy writing, I took English Language so I could write in first year of 6th form and we did NONE, so I gave up on it and got a D. I want to live in London. I'm not doing it just for the piece of paper, in fact that's probably one of the last reasons I'm doing it.

ReputationRep:

There were people at my uni who had had Oxbridge offers but had decided to stay more local, dont be snobby.
    Why shouldnt Danni go to uni loads of people go for the experience, if you use that argument then noone should apply unless they have a specific career path in mind. And why shouldnt you use family contacts, shecant help which family she was born into and it would be completely stupid not to take advantage of it.

ReputationRep:
    But I mean I could go to a prestigous University (McGill) because my great-grandad built a library there and gave them loads of money years ago.I applied last year and when they realised who I was they offered me a full-scholarship. I didn't want to take the easy route though.
    McGill? Sorry I have never heard of it. That's very decent of you, actually...I think it's annoying how universities do things like this for money - all well and good, resisting big offers is easier said than done, but it ruins the whole view of education as a privilege given on the basis of ability.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.