Turn on thread page Beta

Energy generation for future watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Are you talking about biomass technologies?
    no- about using the electrons released from sewage to directly generate electricity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    I never said england did have any spare deserts, just saying it could be helpful to developing countries who need a sustainable resource.
    Ah right, misinterpreted you. However, developing countries are always going to opt for the lesser costing option, in this instance, fossil fuels.

This is a worry I have about the future. Whilst developed countries in the West, slowly but surely are introducing renewable energy implementations, what about economically emerging countries?

Keep in mind, superpowers of tomorrow (China and India), have massive coal reserves, and will have no qualms about using them (I believe the Chinese government have categorically stated as such).

Would it be wrong of us to impose ourselves on them in order to reduce environmental damage? Furthermore, how are we going to impose our will on these countries?

The only solution I see is massive investment by Western powers (be it public or private), but this is obviously going to have detrimental implications on their respective economies.

Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    no- about using the electrons released from sewage to directly generate electricity
    *Goes to find copy of New Scientist*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)

Any other ideas?
    birth control- less people, less energy needed to heat homes, grow food etc.

ReputationRep:
    birth control- less people, less energy needed to heat homes, grow food etc.
    Radical, but again I see problems globally enforcing it.

Here's an idea, terraform Mars. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Radical, but again I see problems globally enforcing it.

kim stanley robinson: the mars trilogy
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Alec)
    All it would take is about 3 tonnes of oxygen and a bit of time (or we could go for venus - 3 tonnes of hydrogen*)

*note I could have my planets/elements confused....it's been a long time since planetary geology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    All it would take is about 3 tonnes of oxygen and a bit of time (or we could go for venus - 3 tonnes of hydrogen*)

*note I could have my planets/elements confused....it's been a long time since planetary geology
    That bit of a time you mention, approximately 200 years.

Doesn't look like I'll get to be a Martian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    That bit of a time you mention, approximately 200 years.

Doesn't look like I'll get to be a Martian.
    green wouldn't suit you anyway

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I've mest this thread. Future energy generation is one of my keen interests. I have no read the whole thread but has anybody mentioned fuel cells? if so what do you think about this as the future way of generation electricity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I can't believe I've mest this thread. Future energy generation is one of my keen interests. I have no read the whole thread but has anybody mentioned fuel cells? if so what do you think about this as the future way of generation electricity?
    fuel cells :confused: we have mentioned biomass, electricity generation from sewage, wind power, nuclear and solar cells which convert light into electricity directly.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fuel cells lacking regarding being a viable provider of power for industry?

Whilst they're very promising for small-scale residential, transportation, and as an alternative form of battery, the investment needed to be able to power something like a car assembly plant would be fairly staggering.

ReputationRep:
    how do you get enough hydrogen?

ReputationRep:
    how do you get enough hydrogen?
    There's quite a lot of it in the sea.

Also, it can be obtained from by enzymes called cyanobacteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    There's quite a lot of it in the sea.

Also, it can be obtained from by enzymes called cyanobacteria.
    yes, but don't you have to put energy in to seperate it from oxygen, which uses up energy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fuel cells lacking regarding being a viable provider of power for industry?

Whilst they're very promising for small-scale residential, transportation, and as an alternative form of battery, the investment needed to be able to power something like a car assembly plant would be fairly staggering.
    My idea was more that they could be used for local electricity generation but would all still be connected to the national grid. Mind you would probably you would probably need 2.0 litre one at least just to power a house.

I think another rather simple solution is to turn off the lights when their not in use etc, this won't solve the problem but it ease it a bit. These new white LED which in a cluser of 12 can produce the light of a typical 100w light bulb look very promising in terms of saving power. Again this will buy extra time.

ReputationRep:
    My idea was more that they could be used for local electricity generation but would all still be connected to the national grid. Mind you would probably you would probably need 2.0 litre one at least just to power a house.

I think another rather simple solution is to turn off the lights when their not in use etc, this won't solve the problem but it ease it a bit. These new white LED which in a cluser of 12 can produce the light of a typical 100w light bulb look very promising in terms of saving power. Again this will buy extra time.
    how much do they use? are they less then 20 watts cos those are the ones I use.

ReputationRep:
    i think local/regional scale projects will be much more effective anyway.. using a power source appropriate for each area of the country. then no one is totally reliant on anyone else.. at the moment the tech isnt there in creating renewables that will provide for the whole country, so why not do maller scale local projects? that also leads to the benefit of not losing electricity in transfer (through wires) and also less of a cost in building wires etc.. (im being very crude cos i dont do physics..but im sure osmeone understands!)

ReputationRep:
    Im sorry but this is simply a misunderstanding. The large amounts of heat a lightbub emits under operation is not wasted, it warms your house! If you have a thermostat in your house, which adjust the power of the central heating system accourding to the temperature, it will keep the heating power down if you turn on all the lights. Thus the only difference between having LEDs and lightbulbs for your indoor luminosity is that you will heat the house using your central heating system instead of using the lightbulbs. In fact, since most powerplants are more efficient than the oil fueled heating system of many homes, leaving the lights on would actually be the better thing to do. This of course assumes that you do have a thermostat. In addition the electricity may be more expensive than the oil to fuel the house.

You may argue that the power system has major losses in the powerlines, but that is still far less than the amount of gassoline a truck would use to bring the oil to your house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i think local/regional scale projects will be much more effective anyway.. using a power source appropriate for each area of the country. then no one is totally reliant on anyone else.. at the moment the tech isnt there in creating renewables that will provide for the whole country, so why not do maller scale local projects? that also leads to the benefit of not losing electricity in transfer (through wires) and also less of a cost in building wires etc.. (im being very crude cos i dont do physics..but im sure osmeone understands!)
    Even though their is some loss of power in the wires, I think it is not comparable to the gain in effeciency due to large scale powerplants. Also, it is a question about economics. If you spend lots of money running expensive renewable resources powerplants, you may have less money to spend on research which may solve the energy problems of the future. Windpower is simply to expensive to be beneficial on a large scale. As for the power loss due to transfer in the wires, it is not as large as you would think due to the high voltage (this is in fact why you transfer electricity at large voltages).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.