Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so am i gonna have to hire a van!!?! I read on a previous thread to take your own pillows incase you end up with some filthy ones! lol so thats duvet, at least 2 pillows, covers, books, folders, some food for the first week, cooking stuff, computer, printer, all my clothes, shoes, training kit!! aaargh!!

DOes everyone take basically all the clothes they own? i would miss any i left behind! DO most people make two trips?

Is there anything that you would recommend to take and equally not to take?

Rep for good stuff! Peace n Luv. The lady of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Ok so am i gonna have to hire a van!!?! I read on a previous thread to take your own pillows incase you end up with some filthy ones! lol so thats duvet, at least 2 pillows, covers, books, folders, some food for the first week, cooking stuff, computer, printer, all my clothes, shoes, training kit!! aaargh!!

DOes everyone take basically all the clothes they own? i would miss any i left behind! DO most people make two trips?

Few months early arn't we?

ReputationRep:

Well I've managed in the car. You dont want to take too many books etc cos you wont have much room for them especially with the course books you'll buy. i have a small stereo and laptop tho otherwise i would have had to get a van or trailer. I have my own duvet and pillows, towels bedlinen etc. here then kitchen stuff, crockery, pans, clothes personal stuff etc. It ceertainly makes the car a tight squeeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Few months early arn't we?
    Absolutely! But hey i am bored and was discussing it with some friends earlier, so just play along and satisfy our curiosity!!

ReputationRep:

My stuff went in my Dad's Peugeot 306, with the back seats folded down.

It was bulging, down to having to squeeze the quilt through the holes in the headrest of mine and my Dads seats, just so we could shut the boot.

Duvet, Sheets, Quilt, Suitcases/Holdalls (full of clothes) Folders, Food, Toiletries, Pots/Pans, Computer/Printer, Stereo/Speakers, TV/DVD, Documentation. Loose shoes that wouldn't fit in any where else...

We did it in one trip, a couple of weeks later my Dad brought me up my leather chair, and filing cabinet out of my old bedroom.

ReputationRep:
    You need tons of multi point adapters for plug sockets everyone forgets them.

ReputationRep:
    luckily, i own a van - so no hiring

and my parents sell like all the stuff (kitchen stuff, electrical, etc.) that i'm gonna be needing = freebies (kinda!)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so am i gonna have to hire a van!!?!
    Most people manage without!

And if you're in halls, chances are you're going to have to move back home over the holidays...if you hire a van to get all your stuff there, you're going to have to hire one to get it back home again!

ReputationRep:
    If it doesn't fit into the car, you've taken too much. I started deciding what I needed to take during August so I really considered what I could *survive* on. This term I brought more up because I knew the size of my room and the car better.

ReputationRep:
    I had one trip in my Dad's estate car, with 2 of the back seats down (I was sat in the other seat, with boxes poking into me). I haven't a clue how i'm going to get everything back though since i have acquired much more stuff since getting here...

ReputationRep:
    i took all i wanted with me... tv, some books and videos, clothes and laptop for my room, along with a few cooking utensils. My mum insisted on buying all the food to take with me before - that took up the most space in my car!

We managed it without even folding the back seats down - my boyf decided he did want to come with us the day before i left, so we had to make it fit.

May need a van for next year tho... planning on moving a double bed into my new house mwahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    On my first trip I took 2 cars, but the 2nd one only had my bike, my cello and a few oddments in it (weird shaped objects that wouldn't fit). The other car had the back seats down and was fairly jam packed. I won't be taking it all next year though, and this term we only used one car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    On my first trip I took 2 cars, but the 2nd one only had my bike, my cello and a few oddments in it (weird shaped objects that wouldn't fit). The other car had the back seats down and was fairly jam packed. I won't be taking it all next year though, and this term we only used one car.
    which college are you at Helenia? If the college is in the pedestrianised bit of cambridge (ie Trinity), how will I be able to move all my stuff into my room?

Sam

ReputationRep:

Hello!
    If you have more stuff than you can fit in a car, you have too much stuff. Chances are your room will not have space for much more than one car load of stuff. When you pack for uni, edge on the side of caution. If you are unsure about needing something, don't bring it. This is particularly true when you come to thinking about crockery and alike. My flat has about 50 knives, 50 forks, 50 teespoons... you get the point. Having a lot of stuff is a BAD thing, because it means people can get away for about a week, or longer, without washing up.

Everyone seems to pack on the assuption that everyone else in the flat will forget everything. Be enlightened, and pack sparingly! You don't need much food brought with you for the first week. Everyone will have milk... there will be more milk in the flat the first few days than there is fridge space. Enough food for a couple of impromptu slap up suppers will be ample. Your first shopping trip is something to relish, not to put off using home brought supplies. Try and persuade your parents to slip you a few quid for the first shopping trip, rather than bringing stuff with you.

Another important thing to remember, is about 3 to 4 weekends in most people will head home for the weekend. After Freshers Week, and a couple of weeks of lectures and very late nights due to drinking, home cooking will be too much of a draw. You can always bring back any 'essentials' you have left at home then.

Hope it helps a bit!

Ed

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you with cars and vans, I will have to jam all my life in to a suitcase, max 15-30 kg depending on which airline I choose! I'm not complaining tho, will probably bring only some clothes and other necessary items.. An experience, eh?

So.. Anyone wanna share the kitchen stuff with me..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Hello!
    If you have more stuff than you can fit in a car, you have too much stuff.
    Sound advice, though I disagree a bit about the amout of cutlery and crokery at the moment. My flat currently has a shortage of both as a few nameless flat mates can't seem to be bothered to do the washing up. This means there is never more than 1 clean fork, knife or spoon in the entire flat - so an extra 50 would be nice

I wouldn't worry too much about originally taking too much stuff though. Even if your room / kitchen is too small for all of it you can just get your parents to take it back again.

I easily managed to fit all my stuff in the back of my car with the exception of my pc which was seatbelted in the back seat I also took almost no food just enough for one night and some breakfast, which went fine as we ate out the first few nights and then had the standard flat trip to tescos - ah those were the days...

ReputationRep:
    Woah! I'll be bringing only 2 bags on the plane so I'll have to buy stuff when I get to the UK. Oh man.. I hope I don't leave anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I also took almost no food just enough for one night and some breakfast, which went fine as we ate out the first few nights and then had the standard flat trip to tescos - ah those were the days...
    I did the same thing - I had next to no food other than cup-a-soups, coffee (no kettle though) pasta, milk...I was expecting to at least have a meal out at first and then a group trip to the supermarket, but when I got here everyone else's parent's had packed them off with tonnes of food, so they had no need to go shopping. Which meant I had to survive off of the union shop for a few days before I could do a proper shop, as there was too much going on around uni for me to be able to go into town. My advice is fill a big cardboard box of stuff that would last you quite a while (loaf of bread <you can freeze it so it lasts longer>, tins of soup and spaghetti hoops etc, bag of pasta and some sauces, cereal, milk, cheese, super noodles <always good!>), but not too much fresh stuff, meaning you can survive for a while, until you go on a big group trip, where you can buy your luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam99)
    which college are you at Helenia? If the college is in the pedestrianised bit of cambridge (ie Trinity), how will I be able to move all my stuff into my room?

Sam
    I'm at Clare, but fortunately not in Old Court, so you can get to where I live by car. I have no idea how you get to Trinity (if you're living in Great court that is - you may not be) but I think they have a road in off the backs, though I don't know if you can actually drive down there. They must have some system though, and they'll let you know before you come up!

ReputationRep:
    My brother's at UWE already and I'm (hopefully) going to be going to Bristol, so we're going to hire a van so we can take all our stuff there in one go.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.