Turn on thread page Beta

Moving in watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I pretend that I can fit everything in one car, but its a complete lie, I only do one trip down the motorway, but my gran lives about 15 minutes away so a lot of my stuff gets dumped at her house! She can't use her spare room all summer because its so full of my junk, have no idea how I'll get it all home when I move back properly in the summer! Guess we'll just have to do about 12 trips!

If your in self catered accomodation, I'd probably bjust take two of everything (2 plates, 2 bowls, 2 mugs, couple more glasses because they break and your more likely to have people over for drinks than for dinners, a frying pan and a couple of pans) chances are you'll be able to share all these things with your housemates, but theres always the possiblity that they'll be really anal about those sort of things so I guess its better to be on the safe side.

As for food, persuade your parents to take you shopping after you've dropped all you stuff off (then you don't have to carry it all on the bus and they might even pay for it!)

Take bedding etc, but you can always sit on that sort of thing inthe car, so its not that bad.

Definately take photos and personal things, you'll regret it when your missing home otherwise, and its always nice to show you new friends a couple of your crazy antics from back home!

Bring quite a selection of clothes, remember that you move in in september when its quite warm, but by december i'll be really cold, so make sure you take jumpers etc as well as t-shirts. You probably don't need to take EVERYTHING you own, but probably enough to last you about 2 weeks, and take plenty of underwear, you only have to do washing when you run out!

Everyone always takes too much anyway, when you move in you'll see hundreds of weighed down cars crawling up the motorway, blatantly full of students leaving home (theres a two week slot where most unis start so everyone has to go at the same time, my poor parents have to do two trips in one weekend because my term dates are the same as my brothers!)

Can't think of anything else, you'll definately get there and realise you need nothing that you've taken with you and everything you've left behind, but thats normal and can always be solved by a quick weekend at home a couple of weeks into term!

ReputationRep:
    It's worth rememebring that you don't have to buy everything to take with you - you can always pick bits up in town when you discover you need them!

ReputationRep:
    We hired a bigger car, I never thought I would fit everything I brought in my room! Luckily it turned out to have a lot of storage space, so I'm okay. Remember to bring tea bags and some digestives or your biscuits of choice to lure your new housemates out of their rooms with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ditzy blonde)
    but theres always the possiblity that they'll be really anal about those sort of things so I guess its better to be on the safe side.
    Mine are very anal about it, to the point where its annoying. I have a set of 4 plates, bowls and side plates but i only keep two of each in the kitchen, and the rest in my cupboard in my room incase anything breaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Woah! I'll be bringing only 2 bags on the plane so I'll have to buy stuff when I get to the UK. Oh man.. I hope I don't leave anything
    What were you planning on taking with you? I've the same problem here
    Where are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereonaranel)
    What were you planning on taking with you? I've the same problem here
    Where are you going to study?
    Oh man thats tough! I stress about not taking enough when i go on hol on a plane for a week or two!

ReputationRep:
    I have to take my stuff by plane too, it sucks. I leave a lot of things here in the storage room though.

Just finished packing up my room - it looks so bare and lifeless now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I have to take my stuff by plane too, it sucks. I leave a lot of things here in the storage room though.

Just finished packing up my room - it looks so bare and lifeless now!
    Are you in uni now? What did you do, bring only the necessary/most expensive stuff from home and bought everything else? A good way to start over your life

Ladyluck, it is tough, I've already started making lists about things I need every day, and things I think I need but aren't important... A bit early, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in uni now? What did you do, bring only the necessary/most expensive stuff from home and bought everything else? A good way to start over your life

Ladyluck, it is tough, I've already started making lists about things I need every day, and things I think I need but aren't important... A bit early, eh?
    Erm, I got stuff shipped over, bought all my kitchen stuff here and bedding, and only take the bare minimum home in the holidays.

ReputationRep:
    All you lot who have cars should count yourselves lucky! I will be having to take all my stuff to uni in two large suitcases on the train, as my family doesn't have a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    All you lot who have cars should count yourselves lucky! I will be having to take all my stuff to uni in two large suitcases on the train, as my family doesn't have a car.
    you're sooo not going to fit it all in two suitcases! (or maybe that's just girls) tell you what, if you go to bristol, i'll loan you the use of our roof rack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterflew)
    you're sooo not going to fit it all in two suitcases! (or maybe that's just girls) tell you what, if you go to bristol, i'll loan you the use of our roof rack
    lol thanks for the offer, I'm thinking more of Edinburgh at moment though (long way but at least there's a direct train).

I've just wandered into the attic to have a look at my dad's old trunk that he used when he went to uni, I wonder whether it'd fit on a modern train.... However so long as I'm not indulgent with myself I could probably manage on two suitcases.

isnt it enuff just to take a knife/machete like in ray mears extreme survival, all u gotta do is make a bed outta bamboo.......

ReputationRep:
    my dad was chattin bout hiring a van too?! i think its cos im going from the e mids to st andrews in scot! but i was like c'mon we can fit it all in the car?! i think so anyway?! i dont think ya really need that much...i'll be going self catered but im determined to keep things to a minimum! my bedrooms a state at home and thats without pots n pans n cups n dishes! i cant imagine the state my room will get in at uni!! ooh ahh?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s-man)
    isnt it enuff just to take a knife/machete like in ray mears extreme survival, all u gotta do is make a bed outta bamboo.......
    I don't think there's much bamboo available in Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what a Chinese zither is like? It's an instrument about 1 and a half meter long... Well, if I bring that with me, will there be enough room? I'll be in Pembroke, Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinesegirl)
    Do you know what a Chinese zither is like? It's an instrument about 1 and a half meter long... Well, if I bring that with me, will there be enough room? I'll be in Pembroke, Oxford.
    Nod, I know what's a chinese zither ('Gu Zhen' right?). Well, you could send some of your luggage by air to the hostel that you are going to live and then carry the zither there yourself. Try not to send the zither by air, they might damage the brittle zither.

Anyway guys, i read on the previous posts, that you guys bring along printers. Is it really neccessary? or should i get 1 there instead? I was afraid of bringing a printer over and i can't find any place that sells the appropriate printer ink.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so weak! HOW am I gonna lug 2 huge trunks from Brunei all the way to the UK? Aaak.. maybe I shouldn't bring anything and just buy everything in the UK.

Now that's a thought.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you with cars and vans, I will have to jam all my life in to a suitcase, max 15-30 kg depending on which airline I choose! I'm not complaining tho, will probably bring only some clothes and other necessary items.. An experience, eh?

So.. Anyone wanna share the kitchen stuff with me..?
    yeah, Norwegian airlines charge 40 NOK (a bit more than £3) per kilo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butterflew)
    I have to, Warwick pick up service at the airport says no more than two items each...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.