Turn on thread page Beta

4 facts about america watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    How would you like it if someone ridded the world of YOUR barbaric leader?
    If he was "barbaric", I would welcome it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred0202)
    i'll get my gun.

ReputationRep:
    Estimated 10,000 civilian casualties in Iraq since April 2003. Carpet bombing. Illagal detention and torture of hundreds of innocent middle easterns. Illegal war. All ordered by Dubya. That's barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    How would you like it if someone ridded the world of YOUR barbaric leader?
    Well, all of the half dozen or so Romanians that I know would have been quite chuffed if Ceaucescu had been removed earlier than he was, regardless of who did it.

ReputationRep:
    Estimated 10,000 civilian casualties in Iraq since April 2003. Carpet bombing. Illagal detention and torture of hundreds of innocent middle easterns. Illegal war. All ordered by Dubya. That's barbaric.
    And I add to that, Over $120 billion spent on killing civilians whilst people die by the second across the world.
    And over 39,750 bombs dropped in order to kill.... 1 man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What would be your way of getting rid of Saddam? Or maybe you think he was doing a good job.
    or maybe it wasnt the american's place to police the world. public opinion in iraq is still well against the war coalition.

ReputationRep:
    What would be your way of getting rid of Saddam? Or maybe you think he was doing a good job.
    Oh come on, that's such a childish criticism of someone anti-war. I am human, you know.
    I'm not a politician and don't claim to be, but Bush does and it's his job to think about how to do these things without the levels of death that have occured. Maybe invasion was necessary - and I'm not saying it was - but that many people did NOT need to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    or maybe it wasnt the american's place to police the world. public opinion in iraq is still well against the war coalition.
    Well said - American launched themselves in against not only public opinion, but international law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    Good point. Maybe America should start saying "oh **** em all....not our problem"

Makes sense to me (and probably the hundreds of American families who have lost a family member fighting for the liberty of a country thousands of miles away)

Mind you, of course if America did do that people would soon start bleating about how the most powerful nation on earth failed to intervene to stop genocide in this country/that country.

ReputationRep:
    The 10,000 civilian casualties is highly dubious because of the way the figure was produced. As for the war being illegal resolution 1441 clearly legalises the war in Iraq.

As for the Prisoners in Cuba there is not one single bit of evidence to suggest that the prisoners are being tortured, in fact a prisoner just released preferred being there to his home because he was treated so well. And as for the detention being illegal, have you asked why they where in Afghanistan? These are dangerous times and the balance between civil liberties and the powers of the authorities has to obviously be towards the authorities having more powers, thus the detention of the prisoners in Cuba.

ReputationRep:
    No its not a childish criticism. If you know of a more efficient and civilian-friendly way then let us know.
    I meant that saying that suggesting I thought he was doing a good job was childish. I don't advocate anything he was doing, and you know that.
    As dar as suggesting another method goes, as I said, I'm not a politician and don't fully know the ins and outs of thses things, but just as a suggestion - why not send in a small, highly-trained force to assassinate Saddam and work from there? Did we need to cluster bomb major cities?

ReputationRep:
    And I add to that, Over $120 billion spent on killing civilians whilst people die by the second across the world.
    Oh come off it!

You think they're sitting around the Pentagon saying "hey Hank....better stop killing civilians....the budget's running out!"

Jesus Christ. $120billion to kill 10,000 civilians? Must be the most ineficient army in the world.

ReputationRep:
    One man that was causing suffering to millions of people.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think that Bush is stupid? Just because sometimes he fluffs his lines. Do you think an idiot could rise to the office of the presidency?

ReputationRep:
    The 10,000 civilian casualties is highly dubious because of the way the figure was produced. As for the war being illegal resolution 1441 clearly legalises the war in Iraq.

As for the Prisoners in Cuba there is not one single bit of evidence to suggest that the prisoners are being tortured, in fact a prisoner just released preferred being there to his home because he was treated so well. And as for the detention being illegal, have you asked why they where in Afghanistan? These are dangerous times and the balance between civil liberties and the powers of the authorities has to obviously be towards the authorities having more powers, thus the detention of the prisoners in Cuba.
    The esimate of casualities is extremely rough because, as someone said before, bodies were pushed into mass graves without any identification process. 10,000 is actually a conservative estimate - it could easily be up to 30,000.
    Resolution 1441 states that further and more thorough inspections must take place. Nowhere does it say that attacks are either justified or legal.
    I wasn't talking about the current Guantanamo Bay prisoners, I was talking about the temporary military interrogation centres set up in Iraq by the invading forces.
    I can't stay to talk now, so this'll be my last post for the time being, but I will come back.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think that Bush is stupid? Just because sometimes he fluffs his lines. Do you think an idiot could rise to the office of the presidency?
    if the idiot's daddy is also called Bush, and all his relatives are high-powered politcians, and he has billions of dollars behind him, then of course he could.
    After all, what really matters in the world of politics? Connections and money.

ReputationRep:
    One man that was causing suffering to millions of people.
    What I meant was, were 39,750 bombs necessary to kill one man.

ReputationRep:
    "Illegal torture of hundreds of innocent middle easterners"? Can you hear yourself?

What are you saying? That Ahmed, busy one morning opening his sewing macine repair shop is picked up for absolutely no reason by a marine snatch squad, handcuffed, blindfolded, and driven to a secluded cell, where he has electrodes attached to his balls......just for a laugh?

Do you have any evidence at all to support this or do you just like typing the first thing that comen into your head?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh come off it!

You think they're sitting around the Pentagon saying "hey Hank....better stop killing civilians....the budget's running out!"

Jesus Christ. $120billion to kill 10,000 civilians? Must be the most ineficient army in the world.
    All armies are inefficient.
    You remember all that stuff about the Flak jackets? You think that was the only wastage?

ReputationRep:
    all war sucks! im american, but i have to admit almost everything said on this thread it true! sad, but true! the US has its reasons tho....

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.