Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Well what do you expect froma country which tries to surpress any nuclear or biological weaponary other than their own.
    we gave israel nukes. Suppessing? I think not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Estimated 10,000 civilian casualties in Iraq since April 2003. Carpet bombing. Illagal detention and torture of hundreds of innocent middle easterns. Illegal war. All ordered by Dubya. That's barbaric.
    10,000??? That was the ABSOLUTE MAX of the ESTIMATE. Much lower numbers say about 5,000 to 7,000. Still bad, but come on, 10,000??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What does it matter anyway? You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
    What is 7000 deaths here and there? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    10,000??? That was the ABSOLUTE MAX of the ESTIMATE. Much lower numbers say about 5,000 to 7,000. Still bad, but come on, 10,000??
    I know, perish the thought of actually counting the full total! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway this is getting away from the point, why would America or anyone else want to help out anyone else purely out of the goodness of their hearts? Things don't really work that way.
    Glad to see some1 sees sense - Nobody risks thousands of lives, millions of pounds worth of investment, his reputation etc. just "to be nice" :rolleyes:

If people believe that, then they are naive..

ReputationRep:
    Actually, not a lot. How many people do you think die every day around the globe?
    It is still 7000 lives lost, whether many die in other places is irrelevant to the moral of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred0202)
    We also used depleted uranium shells in the gulf war and as for the invasions, it was never about conquest, but about ridding the world of barbaric leaders.
    Show me a decent modern weapon system which doesn't use them; they're excellent weapons! Radioactive? Only going to cause a problem if you sit in the shell of a tank destroyed by one and inhale for a week.

ReputationRep:
    Estimated 10,000 civilian casualties in Iraq since April 2003. Carpet bombing. Illagal detention and torture of hundreds of innocent middle easterns. Illegal war. All ordered by Dubya. That's barbaric.
    Carpet bombing? When? By what aircraft? Where?

I seem to remember seeing a lot of precision bombing going on, but not much in the way of hundreds of dumb bombs being dumped out of B-52s... in fact, UK rules of engagement don't allow bombs to be dropped without GPS right now

ReputationRep:
    And I add to that, Over $120 billion spent on killing civilians whilst people die by the second across the world.
    And over 39,750 bombs dropped in order to kill.... 1 man.
    mmmmm yes, the US led a coalition to war with the express intention of killing civilians...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I know, perish the thought of actually counting the full total! :eek:
    its a little hard to count the full total when 1, its an estimate, and 2 the conflict isn't over

ReputationRep:
    o yeah we americans cant get enough civilain killing :rolleyes: Is it my fault that many people have died? If u need to complain, complain to Bush. Torture? Give me an example.

ReputationRep:
    This shows up the problem of the current democratic system - 4 year elected dictatorships. Too bad if its not what the people want, its what the president or PM want that matters. Unfortunately the actions of a leader usually and unfairly reflect on the citizens.
    yeah, i find that very unfair, as more then half the country voted for Al Gore, and yet the Al Gore half (including myself) (well i supported, cant vote yet) get blamed for all of Bush's faults.

ReputationRep:
    Which Islamic countries don't allow bigamy?

Anyway my point is to show how democracy will never hold in Iraq because of Islam but I did it ham-fistedly. Basically, for democracy to work everyone has to accept that the country is run by the people, for the people - the people are in charge. The people are in fact the rulers. However, under Islam, Allah can be the only ruler. Hence, democracy and Islam don't mix very well at all.
    Not true! You're not hearing what I'm saying - the laws of the country come first, and Allah is NOT the only ruler! Allah is the only god and the only spiritual ruler, but the ruler of the country is your CIVIL ruler, and you obey their laws. If that ruler is democratically elected, so much the better. Democracy and Isalam could mix perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    Which treaties were so binding that the countries could not get out of them?

Anyway this is getting away from the point, why would America or anyone else want to help out anyone else purely out of the goodness of their hearts? Things don't really work that way.
    The triple entente and the triple alliance.
    And of course they're not helping out of the goodness of their hearts, the point is they're claiming to be - the libertaion of oppressd people and all that. Not that I think oppressed people shouldn't be liberated, it's just that the US are lying about their reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Well, wouldn't you? Otherwise all manner of mad buggers get hold of the weaponry, and they'd be even more irresponsible than you think America are being.
    So you think it's right that only one country in the world has these weapons, and so effectively they rule the world?
    What if someone really stupid and warlike *cough*Bush*cough* got into power and decided that he didn't like some parts of the world *cough*AxisOfEvil*cough* and decided to bomb them all into oblivion, one by one?

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah we didn't start war on terror to protect the world, join WW2 to stop communism in europe, (and beat japan) try Help south vietnam from being totally communist yeah we have never helped anyone b4 :rolleyes:

Also u say something needs to be done about america. I am sick of being steriotyped. America has a whole does not support all this war, its Bsuh and his government. Your preching to the converted.
    What did Communism have to do with WWII?!
    And why does America have to right to dicatate whether nations should be communist or not?
    When we say America we mean the government and administration, but it's a bit of a handful to type all that out. And we're not preaching, we're debating.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, 10,000. Got it in one.

ReputationRep:
    What does it matter anyway? You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
    10,000 eggs?
    Was that really necessary?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, not a lot. How many people do you think die every day around the globe?
    That was 10,000 unnecessary and utterly preventable deaths.
    And how many die across the world because of America's selfishness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    Carpet bombing? When? By what aircraft? Where?

I seem to remember seeing a lot of precision bombing going on, but not much in the way of hundreds of dumb bombs being dumped out of B-52s... in fact, UK rules of engagement don't allow bombs to be dropped without GPS right now
    As far as the carpet bombing goes, if I'm wrong about that I apologise, but I thought I'd read that it happened.
    Perhaps I was getting it confused with cluster bombing, which definitely happened.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.