Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    its a little hard to count the full total when 1, its an estimate, and 2 the conflict isn't over
    And 3, no-one ordered the counting or identification of bodies before the filiing of mass graves.

ReputationRep:
    Carpet bombing was used in Afghanistan for sure, but i'm not so sure about Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    mmmmm yes, the US led a coalition to war with the express intention of killing civilians...
    I never said that - don't put words in my mouth.
    America - and by that I mean the administration - has a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, believing all Iraqis to be possible Ba'ath party or Al Quaida members. And I really don't think they were too fussed about who they killed as long as thei achieved their ends.
    Remember shock and awe?

ReputationRep:
    errr, you are aware that you are the only person to post on this topic for ages..... basically youre talking to yourself.... first sign of madness...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    o yeah we americans cant get enough civilain killing :rolleyes: Is it my fault that many people have died? If u need to complain, complain to Bush. Torture? Give me an example.
    I can't complain to bush, he's quite busy right now. DO you think I'm blaming you, or any American citizens? Of course I'm not! I'm blaming the government.
    Examples of torture: sleep deprivation, isolation from peers and family, detention without reason or trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two_headed_monk)
    errr, you are aware that you are the only person to post on this topic for ages..... basically youre talking to yourself.... first sign of madness...
    Well, you can't expect me not to reply when they're insulting me....
    I couldn't do it last night when this was more active - a girl needs her sleep, you know.

ReputationRep:
    Another one:

America will never go on trial for war crimes... becuase they will invade/declare war upon/blow up any country which would try and make them do it.

And this is the huge problem I have with the whole debarcle, The US is being so hypocritical. Putting aside whatever has (or has not in this case) happened in Iraq bear with me...

YOU CANNOT VIOLATE INTERNATIONAL LAW! IT WILL JUST TURN BAD! The UN is supposed to be the world's law right, so it's really not cool when they do not approve of it that America go ahead and do it anyway. Its the kind of thing that caused the fall of the League of Nations and we all know what happened then dont we... a little thing called WW II. Whether is was or was not the right thing to do humanity wise, IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO DO WORLD WISE.

America itsself has tried people for war crimes for WAY less than what George Bush has done, and yet he will never face a war crime tribunal, becuase he did afterall INVADE a country totally unprevoked. And not only he, but a whole lot of other countries, mine included (even though 74% of Aussies said they did not support it). I am very dissappointed in John Howard letting our country into this war when it has nothing to do with us, and im very angry that he will never face a war crime tribunal.

I dont know if any of you may feel the same way about Tony Blair or not.

But i know im very stressed out about this UN international law thing, it's not cool that America went ahead and did it anyway. If sometheing REALLY needed to be done, the UN would have allowed it, they arent stupid. And who know what else will happen in the future, if america went ahead and did somethign anyway it could cuase WWIII and i reckon it would destroy the world.

ReputationRep:
    another fact about america!

1 in 4 of them are obese. they are the fattest country in the world!

ReputationRep:
    hehe.. no thats nasty, i shouldnt say that. We should encourage them to get fit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    As far as the carpet bombing goes, if I'm wrong about that I apologise, but I thought I'd read that it happened.
    Perhaps I was getting it confused with cluster bombing, which definitely happened.
    Cluster bombing's perfectly legitimate. It's an ideal way to get rid of a column or formation of soft skinned vehicles and troops.

Carpet bombing of the like seen in WWII is nothing like that whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    I never said that - don't put words in my mouth.
    America - and by that I mean the administration - has a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, believing all Iraqis to be possible Ba'ath party or Al Quaida members. And I really don't think they were too fussed about who they killed as long as thei achieved their ends.
    Remember shock and awe?
    There was plenty of footage of US and UK troops arresting suspected Ba'athists, arms dealers, spies etc with innocent civilians all around. I'm yet to see or hear any evidence that they were just picking people at random.

"Shock and awe"'s been used before. In the first Gulf War B-52s were used to drop hundreds of tons of dumb bombs near Republican Guard encampments. The idea wasn't to hit them, but the constant (sometimes up to 24-36 hours at a time) bombing, noise and explosions was intended to break their spirit. It worked.

ReputationRep:
    Shock at reading several posts. Why is everyone so against America? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Becuase they did not mind their own business and started a war, but they went against the code of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Becuase they did not mind their own business and started a war, but they went against the code of the world.
    :rolleyes: I wish people wouldn't make general comments it's so frustrating. Why don't you just go and read a few history books to open up your minds instead of being so partial in your views.

ReputationRep:
    oH Im having a cow about Iraq, my sister is in the Air force and my brothers mate is over there with our SAS, dont worry about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    1 - they are the only country to use nuclear weapons (the americans regularly used depleated uranium tipped bullets in the gulf war which, despite myths, are still radioactive)

2 - america is the only country to have very used napalm (in vietnam it was used to remove forest cover (they also used agent orange)

3 - america never stopped the funding of the IRA, despite knowing who was doing it. In fact they funded osama bin laden and supported the taliban as well.

4 - America has invaded 17 countries since world war 2
    5. 6. and 7. America has done a lot of good for lots of people in this world including europe and the middle east.

ReputationRep:
    If America kept by International Law, they would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    another fact about america!

1 in 4 of them are obese. they are the fattest country in the world!
    So?

Fact about England. 90% of them havn't heard of dental flossing and from what I've seen don't even own a ****in toothbrush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So?

Fact about England. 90% of them havn't heard of dental flossing and from what I've seen don't even own a ****in toothbrush.
    well atleast my statistic was proven :P

yes brits are next in line with 1 in 5 obese. but the thread was entitled facts about america so i thought i would add

ReputationRep:
    I think all these do-gooder limp wristed cry-babies should go to Iraq and join the resistance if they feel so strongly about it.

Or, just shut the fuc* up!

10000 deaths? Peanuts.

America is the best country in the world. Period.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.