The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hmm, let's just say that modesty isn't the average American's strong point when talking about their country relative to others.

I haven't forgotten that we were an arrogant bunch back in the Victorian era, though. We treated some of the people that were under our rule in a despicable way, and regarded them as being beneath us.
In fact (this is rambling a bit), you can't really call our old empire a true empire because if you had were a citizen (and a respected one) in Britain, like Gandhi, then you were not necessarily treated the same way in another corner of the Empire. There was no universal citizenship , unlike with the Romans or other great empire nations.

Back to the point - We were arrogant. Two crippling wars, multiple bankruptcies and the loss of the Empire taught us some lessons in humility.
Perhaps America needs to be taught the same lessons.
Reply 121
America has all the resources it needs within their own country, and enough land to cultivate crops and raise livestock. They are very rich and can export to most of the world. Because of these things, america assume they can support themselves and therefore is somehow superior to those countries which buy their exports.

Another example of american arrogance is their refusal to lower emmissions of greenhouse gases and CO2, as well as generally clean up their industry. They feel it would have an effect on their economy so their merrily causing eco-damage, thinking only of money.
Reply 122
Hey guys keep in mind that just because this is a UK learning forum doesn't mean that no American users are on it *cough*me*cough*...ok fine our government is a bit arrogant but im still loyal to my country and would much rather have missles bouncing off our tanks than having them drive straight through ours...only a fool wouldn't...so think about it...i kno one of the users said before that u r glad u r not as strong as the old British Empire ...but r u sure about that...i kno i would much rather be the country who can defend themselves from anyone rather than being third or fourth on the list and being open for attack...

CR
Reply 123
CR3
Hey guys keep in mind that just because this is a UK learning forum doesn't mean that no American users are on it *cough*me*cough*...ok fine our government is a bit arrogant but im still loyal to my country and would much rather have missles bouncing off our tanks than having them drive straight through ours...only a fool wouldn't...so think about it...i kno one of the users said before that u r glad u r not as strong as the old British Empire ...but r u sure about that...i kno i would much rather be the country who can defend themselves from anyone rather than being third or fourth on the list and being open for attack...

CR

so would you mind justifying the use of depleted uranium tipped shells in the first golf war, as no-one bothered to clear it up, and has thus created no go zones which even your forces won't venture into. You really didn't mind leaving the iraqi civilians to deal with the fallout.
Reply 124
hey guys keep in mind that even though this is a UK learning forum..many american users r on it too *cough* me*cough*...ok so our government is a bit arrogant but i am..and always will be loyal to my country...i know id much rather have their missles bouncing off ours than driving straight through them...i believe a user mentioned before that they are glad u got away from the old British Empire....r u sure about that decision...becuase i kno for a fact that i would much rather be the strongest nation out there who nobody could push around or tell them do change something...only a fool would want to be that nation who has no defense and can be ruled by another country...so..before anyone just says...I HATE AMERICA..think...why..because we r a strong nation...that makes no sense..the only reason that can come to mind is that bush is a dipshit..and i have no response to that..but it is some pretty weak information to back up ur opinion...

CR

EDIT: DELETE THIS PLEASE!! I THOUGHT IT TOLD ME THE SERVER WAS BUSY BEFORE BUT IT DIDN"T
Reply 125
CR3
hey guys keep in mind that even though this is a UK learning forum..many american users r on it too *cough* me*cough*...ok so our government is a bit arrogant but i am..and always will be loyal to my country...i know id much rather have their missles bouncing off ours than driving straight through them...i believe a user mentioned before that they are glad u got away from the old British Empire....r u sure about that decision...becuase i kno for a fact that i would much rather be the strongest nation out there who nobody could push around or tell them do change something...only a fool would want to be that nation who has no defense and can be ruled by another country...so..before anyone just says...I HATE AMERICA..think...why..because we r a strong nation...that makes no sense..the only reason that can come to mind is that bush is a dipshit..and i have no response to that..but it is some pretty weak information to back up ur opinion...

CR

Well what about the other presidents including bush senior, kennedy, nixon ect. were they all the same, as they didn't help americas relations with the world.
Reply 126
wiwarin_mir
so would you mind justifying the use of depleted uranium tipped shells in the first golf war, as no-one bothered to clear it up, and has thus created no go zones which even your forces won't venture into. You really didn't mind leaving the iraqi civilians to deal with the fallout.

i don't know about the whole uranium tipped shells thing..but we did not just leave the iraqis..we r setting up a democracy..now whether that works or not all depends...but u can't say we didn't try..i mean that country has been run by a dictator for how many years..15 20...and u give us 1 year to try and rebuild it..its gonna be a long hard road to recovery but we aren't just goinna leave them lying on the streets...

CR
Reply 127
CR3
i don't know about the whole uranium tipped shells thing..but we did not just leave the iraqis..we r setting up a democracy..now whether that works or not all depends...but u can't say we didn't try..i mean that country has been run by a dictator for how many years..15 20...and u give us 1 year to try and rebuild it..its gonna be a long hard road to recovery but we aren't just goinna leave them lying on the streets...

CR

The uranium tipped bullets were from the first gulf war, and they were left behind when america pulled out. Nothing personal, but I don't think you're going to be able to set a democracy or withdraw for that matter as the saddam loyalists, as well as terrorists won't let you. Look at the way iraqi police recruits have been targetted by suicide bombers, there are people who do not want you to withdraw. They want to make you stay for so long, you will end up losing too many men, just like vietnam.
Reply 128
wiwarin_mir
The uranium tipped bullets were from the first gulf war, and they were left behind when america pulled out. Nothing personal, but I don't think you're going to be able to set a democracy or withdraw for that matter as the saddam loyalists, as well as terrorists won't let you. Look at the way iraqi police recruits have been targetted by suicide bombers, there are people who do not want you to withdraw. They want to make you stay for so long, you will end up losing too many men, just like vietnam.

no offense taken..i highly doubt the democracy will ever get built..i was just saying that they tried..honestly i don't think these people have any strategy involved in mind..they are just following their old leaders commands..the only thing that these suicide bombers are living for is saddam and or bin laden...hence..they don't care if they blow themselves up..they just wanna go down fighting for teir leaders..

CR
Reply 129
CR3
no offense taken..i highly doubt the democracy will ever get built..i was just saying that they tried..honestly i don't think these people have any strategy involved in mind..they are just following their old leaders commands..the only thing that these suicide bombers are living for is saddam and or bin laden...hence..they don't care if they blow themselves up..they just wanna go down fighting for teir leaders..

CR

Don't you think it is a bit strange that specific things are being targetted, making the iraqi people afraid to help the US. It also doesn't help that sometimes the us soldiers have a slightly gung-ho attitude, no offence (again).
Reply 130
wiwarin_mir
America has all the resources it needs within their own country, and enough land to cultivate crops and raise livestock. They are very rich and can export to most of the world. Because of these things, america assume they can support themselves and therefore is somehow superior to those countries which buy their exports.

Another example of american arrogance is their refusal to lower emmissions of greenhouse gases and CO2, as well as generally clean up their industry. They feel it would have an effect on their economy so their merrily causing eco-damage, thinking only of money.

Yes. But America imports a lot more than it exports. Hence the very large balance of trades defecit.

Your example of America's "refusal to lower greenhouse gases etc" is I assume a reference to the US' refusal to sign Kyoto. But, did you know that not a single country that actually did sign the agreement has met the reduction in emmissions that agreement required of them? Signing something and then doing bugger all about it is no more worthy than not signing something in the first place.
Zarjazz
Cluster bombing's perfectly legitimate. It's an ideal way to get rid of a column or formation of soft skinned vehicles and troops.

Carpet bombing of the like seen in WWII is nothing like that whatsoever.

You're right - I got that wrong, and I apologise.
But "soft-skinned vehicles and troops" - you do realsie you're talking about human people here, right?
Zarjazz
There was plenty of footage of US and UK troops arresting suspected Ba'athists, arms dealers, spies etc with innocent civilians all around. I'm yet to see or hear any evidence that they were just picking people at random.

"Shock and awe"'s been used before. In the first Gulf War B-52s were used to drop hundreds of tons of dumb bombs near Republican Guard encampments. The idea wasn't to hit them, but the constant (sometimes up to 24-36 hours at a time) bombing, noise and explosions was intended to break their spirit. It worked.

Just because chock and awe's been used before doesn't make it right.
I didn't say they were picking people at random, I said they were picking up people who looked suspicious to them, which could be absolutely anyone.
piginapoke
Hehe so which Islamic country has democracy taken hold in?

You're either really stupid or just looking for an argument: trying reading what I wrote. I said it COULD take hold.
piginapoke
Are you for real? Obviously there is a chance that an American president (or anyone else in charge or a nuclear arsenal) could start a nuclear war. But, the fewer countries that have them the better. Its a dangerous technology. Give nuclear technology to every tinpot nation and you'll find we definitely have a nuclear war on our hands, sooner rather than later.

I didn't say every "tinpot nation" (if you want to be like that about it) should have nukes, I'm pointing out the potential for serious danger when one country has more nukes than the rest of the world. I'm not suggesting that everyone should have as many nukes as the US cos that would be an absolute disaster - I'm suggesting that no-one should have nukes at all - as you say, it's a dangerous technology.
I can bet you that if it was China, say, that had thousands of nukes and the US and UK had fewer, you would be horrified/enraged/terrified.... you only think it's OK cos you're not the on the side that could get dessimated by this vast nuclear arsenal.
Reply 135
fred0202

As for the Prisoners in Cuba there is not one single bit of evidence to suggest that the prisoners are being tortured, in fact a prisoner just released preferred being there to his home because he was treated so well. And as for the detention being illegal, have you asked why they where in Afghanistan? These are dangerous times and the balance between civil liberties and the powers of the authorities has to obviously be towards the authorities having more powers, thus the detention of the prisoners in Cuba.

But they should not be held without being charged.
piginapoke
I don't know, and neither do you, so unless you can come up with a better solution, stop moaning about it!

For God's sake! Aren't I allowed to express disgust without ebing told I'm moaning? I'm trying to hold an intellectual debate, and you patronising me isn't furthering that.
If you'd actually read my other posts you'd see that I've said at least twice before that it's not my JOB to come up with another solution, but I AM allowed to have an opinion on what they've done.
piginapoke
Hmm America's selfishness for deposing Saddam and attempting to install democracy in Iraq, at a huge personal cost? Yes, very selfish.

Why're you being so short-sighted? Believe it or not, this isn't the only thing America's ever done. Their entire economy affects the world in many viciously detrimental ways.
Howard
Well, it's a lot "less English" than it was and I find myself saying things like "ya'll see where my car key's are at"?

Somebody told me once that if you move to another country after age 12 you'll pretty much retain your existing accent so I doub't I'll ever sound convincingly American!

I lived in America for a year when I was 11-12, andI had a really string accent by the time I came home. But I lost it about a week in old Blighty.
But they should not be held without being charged.

EXACTLY!

Like, there is this Aussie guy in there from a very christian family and they said he went to the middle east for a holiday and now hes ended up in that american 'terrorist' prison for two years.

Latest

Trending

Trending