ignisinvictus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything whilst lurking around TSR.

I'm an international student who applied to Oxford in 2011 to study PPE. I flew over for my interviews and enjoyed them tremendously. I got my conditional offer, and my A-level grades met the stipulated conditions.

Unfortunately, I'm a male Singaporean with conscription liabilities. I appealed, via email, to my college for deferred entry (for deferment from 2012 to 2014), and they generously agreed to defer my entry till October 2014.

Though I do have the official letter ("Further to my previous letter, I am writing to confirm that the College will be accepting you to read PPE from October 2014 ... This change of date takes into account your national service duties..."), I am rather paranoid/worried that the College or University might arbitrarily rescind the offer before 2014. Can they do that (barring extreme situations like criminal convictions etc)?

I'm grateful for any advice. I've been worrying, perhaps pointlessly, about this.

EDIT: (UPDATE): I've been instructed to resubmit my UCAS application this fall (2013), albeit one without things like the PS and reference. After this, the college will apparently process and approve my application, and without TSA or interview, confirm my place for 2014.

Had anyone else had a similar experience?
apple_cider
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,
Look, of course they can retract their offer if they wish to or have a reason to, but honestly, I don't think there is anything you should worried about, just chillax and look forward to your entry in 2014.

Btw, congratulations on your offer and Merry Christmas
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ignisinvictus)
Though I do have the official letter ("Further to my previous letter, I am writing to confirm that the College will be accepting you to read PPE from October 2014 ... This change of date takes into account your national service duties..."), I am rather paranoid/worried that the College or University might arbitrarily rescind the offer before 2014. Can they do that (barring extreme situations like criminal convictions etc).
No, they will not rescind it. It is a firm offer. You have no need to worry.

:sheep:
ben220
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I appealed, via email, to my college for deferred entry (for deferment from 2012 to 2014), and they generously agreed to defer my entry till October 2014.
Heya I hope NS isn't too bad for you at the moment. Congrats on your offer as well! I'll most likely be in the same situation this coming december (also for PPE). I was wondering if you applied for deferred entry on UCAS? And was it an open app? Thanks (:
ignisinvictus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by ben220)
Heya I hope NS isn't too bad for you at the moment. Congrats on your offer as well! I'll most likely be in the same situation this coming december (also for PPE). I was wondering if you applied for deferred entry on UCAS? And was it an open app? Thanks (:
Hi Ben.

NS isn't too bad now - it definitely improves after Basic Military Training!

I didn't apply for deferred entry - I had actually expected to get a scholarship, which would have allowed me to disrupt. Also, my application wasn't open; I applied to one specific college.

NEW QUESTION: I've been instructed to resubmit my UCAS application this fall (2013), albeit one without things like the PS and reference. After this, the college will apparently process and approve my application, and without TSA or interview, confirm my place for 2014.

Marrok
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Ben.

NS isn't too bad now - it definitely improves after Basic Military Training!

I didn't apply for deferred entry - I had actually expected to get a scholarship, which would have allowed me to disrupt. Also, my application wasn't open; I applied to one specific college.

NEW QUESTION: I've been instructed to resubmit my UCAS application this fall (2013), albeit one without things like the PS and reference. After this, the college will apparently process and approve my application, and without TSA or interview, confirm my place for 2014.

Hi I too am in a similar position. How did you go about asking for another year of deferment?
ignisinvictus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Marrok)
Hi I too am in a similar position. How did you go about asking for another year of deferment?
Hi Marrok. I originally asked, back in 2012, for two years deferment, and was granted it. It was merely because of some UCAS limitation (no option on UCAS to extend 2 years' deferment) that my college instructed me to re-apply (so they could literally click a button on UCAS to accept me). If you're asking about how to apply for deferment in the first place - for 1 year's deferment, you just indicate so in your UCAS application - for 2 years', you'll have to write to the college and explain your situation. I hope this helps - if you can describe your situation with greater detail, I might be able to come up with some better advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (47)
24.35%
No, but I have thought about it (53)
27.46%
No (93)
48.19%

Watched Threads