The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
But we can still just go to the pub, right?

*packs up laptop, looks expectant*
Right, that;s it, I'm suing you all for negligence!
Reply 3
Sorry, I heard pub and got here as fast as I could. *tries to catch breath*
Pub? Pub!
Reply 5
Drinking comes as standard ice_cube!
Reply 6
I like the title!
Reply 7
Original post by apotoftea
Drinking comes as standard ice_cube!

We never organised Victoria based drinks...
Reply 8
Original post by evantej
I like the title!

Why, thank you :hat2:
Reply 9
Interesting phone... Currently waiting to get the ferry home, 12h of nightly fun awaiting me = PS rewriting time, now that I new feedback (thanks Hobnob!)
(edited 11 years ago)
I would like pub.
I too am keen for pub but am stuck in Scotland right now in weather that would bring out the builder in Noah
Evening! Pub? Pub.
Guys, when listing research interests how do I refrain from constantly being like:

I AM INTERESTED IN/FASCINATED BY/X INTERESTS ME/I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN Over and over again, like a monkey who has been taught to sign far too few signs with which to convey his complex yet never the less, simian, ideas.
Reply 14
Original post by The Lyceum
Guys, when listing research interests how do I refrain from constantly being like:

I AM INTERESTED IN/FASCINATED BY/X INTERESTS ME/I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN Over and over again, like a monkey who has been taught to sign far too few signs with which to convey his complex yet never the less, simian, ideas.

What about 'my interests fall into the following areas...'
Reply 15
Original post by Anatheme
Interesting phone... Currently waiting to get the ferry home, 12h of nightly fun awaiting me = PS rewriting time, now that I new feedback (thanks Hobnob!)

Glad you found it helpful.:smile:
Original post by The Lyceum

Surely you won't need to repeat those phrases more than maybe a couple of times, though? After all, given how short the statement of purpose is likely to be, if you claim to be particularly interested in half a dozen different topics, it'll make you sound as though you're not really particularly interested in anything...
Reply 16
Well tonight I've had some Long Island Ice Tea, Raspberry Daiquiri and Baileys....so I drank for a few of you :tongue:
I went over to my friend's boat and am resultingly squiffy on Gin and Tonics. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hobnob
Glad you found it helpful.:smile:

Surely you won't need to repeat those phrases more than maybe a couple of times, though? After all, given how short the statement of purpose is likely to be, if you claim to be particularly interested in half a dozen different topics, it'll make you sound as though you're not really particularly interested in anything...

Sort of, I mean...well...one can say "I'm interested in Archaic Greek Poetry.....Comparative Philology....the application of Anthropology to Greek Religion" and that's three interests. But then you have to get more specific.

Technically I only have three interests, but by the time you narrow it down to texts/authors/genres, eras, methodology etc it gets a bit much. I'm simultaneously very interdisciplinary but also very narrow. So narrow in fact I pioneered the term "tragedy****er" and even got an Oxford don to use it.

Man screw Greek Tragedy and screw the half witted morons who work on it.

EDIT: Also, I feel a bit uncomfortable writing in general. Its also one thing to discuss a technical topic e.g how metrical and accentual infelicities in a poem are indicative of borrowing from another, significantly older, poem to actually writing about myself.

I don't like it. I feel uncomfortable when the spotlight is on me. I mean at a recent conference I spoke at they sent me an e-mail requesting me to send them more details for my introduction/the list of speakers since apparently "the Lyceum is reading Classics at Oxford" was not good enough and in the end I simply answered a few questions and they sorted me out a wonderful introduction. Still, cringeworthy to hear it read out. Unlike, say, the brash American who started his with the phrase "had his intellectual awakening at the age of 6 when first exposed to the Medea". I mean come on! Also, parents, stop reading the Medea to your kids ffs.
(edited 11 years ago)
:hi: everyone. Found you guys in the end :biggrin:

Latest