Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which subject for A-level is generally more respected by universities?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say they were close, more people seem to take chemistry which I think makes it look harder, but I do both and they're both equally challenging. If you want to go into chemistry/biology at university you need chemistry at A level, but physics is equally impressive if you want to do physics (or maths). I'd honestly say they were they same. Therefore your interest should tip the balance. If you like chemistry more, do that, and vice versa. Or do both! Chemistry + Physics sounds pretty impressive. Remember, if you enjoy a subject you generally do better at it, and an A in one is always more impressive than a B in the other!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is respected more.

ReputationRep:
    do you enjor chemistry and physics? i enjoy both of them but as you may have gathered i want to go into law.......although subjects dont really matter.....if i did history and french on top of chem, physics, ad maths i think it would be good

ReputationRep:
    Don't overstrech yourself though, history french maths physics and chemistry is a LOT of work.

ReputationRep:
    i would definitely drop 1 after AS level . . . . . for some reason i can cope well with a lot of work......im doing my standard 10 GCSEs at school and studying 2 extra GCSEs outside school, so i should be able to take 5 ASs and 4A2s (hopefully!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Chemistry is respected more.
    Completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why one is more respected than the other tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Completely wrong.
    When there was the old A levels, Chemistry was the most selected subject than any other scientific subject.

It is regarded by most as a diffucult A level, and shows your analytical skills and the ability to conceptually learn.

And Nylex, if the exam board for physics is OCR B, then Chemistry is superior in every way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Completely wrong.
    Chemistry is acknowledged to be a good indication of general ability and is listed as a preferred or accepted subject for more degree courses than any other subject.

The study of chemistry is recognised by business management consultants to provide excellent raining for managers and leaders, as the course is based on the ability to construe arguments and make sound decisions from limited information.

It is an essential subject for all medical/life science based subjects, and keeps your options open more than any other subject.

Frankly you don’t have a leg to stand on. Unless you wish to present your side of the argument.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and Physics are different subjects, theyre both respected in different ways - not one more than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    Which subject for A-level is generally more respected by universities?
    Chemistry is harder but a lot more interesting and logically consistent. Physics is easy - its just maths with a funny hat on - but really boring if you ask me.
    Chemistry is more respected; it is a strong science which also fosters a wider range of skills than physics does.

ReputationRep:
    What skills does chemistry teach that physics does not? I disagree with that point. Chemistry teaches complex calculations, like physics, although physics is more mathematically relates, using trigonometric ratios and such, where chemistry calculations are purely though involved. Physics makes use of graphs and the mathematics of curves, lines, and proportional/inversely proportional relationships between two qualtities, where chemistry calculations focus on mole calculations, which I admit can be pretty challenging, and bond enthalpies. Both make use of maths.

If anything, physics is a better subject to go into management with because of the problem solving techniques you learn in it; approaching a problem at more than one angle to solve it, which I've notices is emphasized quite strongly on the syllabus, which doesnt even appear on chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    If anything, physics is a better subject to go into management with because of the problem solving techniques you learn in it; approaching a problem at more than one angle to solve it, which I've notices is emphasized quite strongly on the syllabus, which doesnt even appear on chemistry.
    Yes it does. I just did a piece of coursework that required quite high thinking skills, and which involved a degree fo all of the quality that I mentioned above. Physics however, does not stretch me as Chemistry does.

Maybe a bit of astrophysics int eh modules in physics may lighten up my time, but it is the figures that speak for itself. Universities prefer/require Chemistry more than any other subject.

It depends heavily for the career/degree which you wish to persue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Completely wrong.
    i dont think thats completely wrong. chemistry in my opinion is a much more respected alevel (but i did do OCR B physics)

ReputationRep:
    i wish to study where no suject preference is made......i have to choose four out of the following:

Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French
    History

pls help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    i wish to study where no suject preference is made......i have to choose four out of the following:

Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    French
    History

pls help
    If I wanted to do medicine, then it would be Chem, Phys, Maths, History

but, for more general stuff, then Maths, Chem, Hist, french would keep you in good stead for a variety of degree choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Frankly you don’t have a leg to stand on. Unless you wish to present your side of the argument.
    Your argument was that because you do a crap syllabus and that you find chemistry harder, this means that it is the better option?

If you ask universities which A-Level they class as harder, Physics would pip Chemistry.

I was talking about respected due to difficulty - if you were referring to its application in a wide range of courses, then perhaps.

Although Physics has mathematical skills and analytical skills etc.

ReputationRep:
    It depends completely on what you want to do at university. If you don't know, I suggest you choose whichever one you find more enjoyable. Ideally, I think both of them together would be best, but you may not want to do this.

I think the problems people here have with physics are more a problem which the syllabus than the actual subject. I do a different board, so can't really comment on OCR or any other English boards, but if you look beyond the A level syllabus, physics is a fascinating subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i dont think thats completely wrong. chemistry in my opinion is a much more respected alevel (but i did do OCR B physics)
    Exactly, that was your opinion, I was referring to the universities opinion - overall, weighing it up, they respect Physics fractionally more than Chemistry.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.