Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to study law....which option would be best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    Either, it doesn't matter, both are well respected.

Although if you aren't doing Maths, then perhaps Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    there are lots of laws to study in physics. but then again, there are quite a few in chemistry too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Exactly, that was your opinion, I was referring to the universities opinion - overall, weighing it up, they respect Physics fractionally more than Chemistry.
    i dont think so. what makes you say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i dont think so. what makes you say that?
    My headteacher said that to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    My headteacher said that to me.
    and how many university admission panels has your headteacher sat on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    and how many university admission panels has your headteacher sat on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Your argument was that because you do a crap syllabus and that you find chemistry harder, this means that it is the better option?

If you ask universities which A-Level they class as harder, Physics would pip Chemistry.

I was talking about respected due to difficulty - if you were referring to its application in a wide range of courses, then perhaps.

Although Physics has mathematical skills and analytical skills etc.
    Physics textbooks I read before, all of the non "crap" syllabus as you say, are quite challenging as well. but not as conceptually challengling as Chemistry.

Did you ask all the Universities? No. So any substiantion?

So was I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Physics textbooks I read before, all of the non "crap" syllabus as you say, are quite challenging as well. but not as conceptually challengling as Chemistry.

Did you ask all the Universities? No. So any substiantion?

So was I.
    But you never asked every university either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    But you never asked every university either.
    Uh, yes...but the figures speak for themselves. (Get one from the local library-the Big Book from UCAS)

And that is substantiation. Wheres your evidence?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone seriously believe that when applying for a law course, the same grade in either physics or chemistry will make any tangible difference?
    I think not. Therefore you should pick whichever one you find more enjoyable, or, if you want to be cold and calculating about it, whichever you think you'll do best in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    Does anyone seriously believe that when applying for a law course, the same grade in either physics or chemistry will make any tangible difference?
    I think not. Therefore you should pick whichever one you find more enjoyable, or, if you want to be cold and calculating about it, whichever you think you'll do best in.
    He didn't tell us about the law bit util the very end. Quite bad of him. Now we are sort of embroiled in an argument whether Physics/Chemistry is the better A level, in general terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    He didn't tell us about the law bit util the very end. Quite bad of him. Now we are sort of embroiled in an argument whether Physics/Chemistry is the better A level, in general terms.

I love both.
    I want to do physics at university as I find that as a subject personally more interesting, but at AS level I find both courses equally interesting.

I think they are possibly roughly equally challenging at least at AS level, on my board CCEA. To be honest, most of it has been learning facts off parrot fashion, but there are also some concepts you have to tackle. I think this has been more in physics so far, but I've heard chemistry becomes a lot more difficult at A2.

What exactly is on the english AS physics syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    Physics is also very useful if you want to do any engineering course and most good universities will require that you have physics to do any engineering course, so doing physics does not close all your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I love both.
    I want to do physics at university as I find that as a subject personally more interesting, but at AS level I find both courses equally interesting.

I think they are possibly roughly equally challenging at least at AS level, on my board CCEA. To be honest, most of it has been learning facts off parrot fashion, but there are also some concepts you have to tackle. I think this has been more in physics so far, but I've heard chemistry becomes a lot more difficult at A2.

What exactly is on the english AS physics syllabus?
    Well on OCR B, there is quite a good module in Astrophysics-1st year introduction at unversity level.

however the rest is more applicable to common practicable uasage than the rest of the boards.

TBH, the content in all Exam boards needs to be roughly the same, as they need to follow the QCA's minimal contents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred0202)
    Physics is also very useful if you want to do any engineering course and most good universities will require that you have physics to do any engineering course, so doing physics does not close all your options.
    Well yes, that is an important prequesite. A knowledge of Mechanics to a high degree of profiency is not bad as well.

ReputationRep:
    I know astrophysics and particle physics is really interesting and enjoyable, but I think university lecturers would rather we did more mechanics. There really isn't very much on the course and they end up coverig quite basic stuff.
    This is the opinion I got from one lecturer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Well on OCR B, there is quite a good module in Astrophysics-1st year introduction at unversity level.
    aren't you still doing AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    aren't you still doing AS?
    Yes but he goes to a posh grammar school where they have professors teaching him and all.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.