Turn on thread page Beta

Journalism degree watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya.
    I really want to be a journalist when I'm older (preferably a sports journalist) and I've begun looking for suitable degrees. I know that many people think it's best to do an academic degree followed by a post-grad, but I've found a journalism course at sheffield uni that looks so good and like something i would really enjoy, whereas i think i would get bored of a subject like english or history.

Do you think getting a journalism degree (from a respectable uni like sheffield) would hinder me getting a job?

i thought it was you who wanted to do medicine, maybe someone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    Nah...must have been someone else. I can't even watch casualty when they're doing operations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa12)
    Wasn't that Sam* or something?

As for a journalism degree, I have no idea how respected it would be. Maybe try seeing if you can find out what sort of jobs some of the graduates are in now, that might tell you how much it would help with getting into the media.

But I think contacts and experience are really important for the media as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Wasn't that Sam* or something?

As for a journalism degree, I have no idea how respected it would be. Maybe try seeing if you can find out what sort of jobs some of the graduates are in now, that might tell you how much it would help with getting into the media.

But I think contacts and experience are really important for the media as well.
    Thanks. I know experience is the key, I have a little already and am looking to get a lot more. The thing is (and I don't mean this to sound boastful) I'm quite clever and think I could do well on an adedemic degree, and I don't want to do something that could leave me with no job prospects (as many people have said a journalism degree would do)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Thanks. I know experience is the key, I have a little already and am looking to get a lot more. The thing is (and I don't mean this to sound boastful) I'm quite clever and think I could do well on an adedemic degree, and I don't want to do something that could leave me with no job prospects (as many people have said a journalism degree would do)
    Another thing to think of is whether you're sure you want to be a journalist. I may be wrong, but I'd think that doing something like History or English would leave you with more options if you changed your mind later. That's why I'm doing politics... I think I want to go into journalism, but knowing me I'll change my mind in a couple of years, so I don't want to commit to anything to soon

What kind of experience do you have? I only have the college magazine...

ReputationRep:
    There are tons of postgrad journalism courses

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.