The Student Room Group

Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by regalrose
Can anyone briefly explain how to get question 6 in paper 2 please?

[-5/3cos3x] with limits = 10/3
Sub limits in
[-5/3cos3(a)] - [-5/3cos(0)] = 10/3
[-5/3cos3(a)] - [-5/3(1)] = 10/3
[-5/3cos3(a)] +[5/3]
Take 5/3 from both sides.
[-5/3cos3(a)] = 5/3
-5/3cos3(a) = 5/3
cos3(a) = 5/3
÷ -5/3
cos3(a) = -1
Inverse cos (-1) = 180
3(a) = 180
a = 180/3
Convert to radians = pi/3.
Original post by bob35
mate try it again re-arrange it you should get max is 10 then take away 4

It was add + 4 :smile:
Original post by CSM1996
I got y=14 and you didn't have to find out the x co-ordinate at which it occured :smile: The question stated "Determine the maximum value of ..." you didn't have to state the x value :smile:

I got 14 as well!! All of my friends were like ":s-smilie: you're wrong Greig."
Reply 1183
Original post by Aay
Brrro I'm serious, for the written bit of paper 1 from comparing and stuff i think i got 16- so for paper one im looking at 48/70.

And paper two, i think the only one i actually put an answer down for was the first one. Just did loads of working to try and pull marks. Im waiting for someone to post paper 2 then we'll see, but i think my working is all wrong aswell after spending too long on one question everything kinda ****ed up from then on and wasnt thinking straight cos i panicked,

Definitely getting a C/D, Ill just retake it next year and find something else to do instead of medicine- highers arent easy man and it feels **** to know that i actually put the effor in and studied for everything yet i still have the capability to **** up.

Rant over soz :frown:

God you remind me so much of myself hahaaa
Reply 1184
Original post by CSM1996

Rap yer pish I'm you've done fine (Am I allowed to say that without getting a message from the mods?)

You get so many marks for working anyway... you only end up getting like 1 mark for the end answer, so it is not as if you are losing loads of marks. And I'm sure you will have done better than you have thought!

You will not have got a C/D :angry: And highers aren't meant to be easy but I'm sure you will surprise yourself in August, trust me :smile:

We shall see, its p'n me off, some persons is going about negging me?! Why?
Reply 1185
Original post by NorrisChuck

[-5/3cos3x] with limits = 10/3
Sub limits in
[-5/3cos3(a)] - [-5/3cos(0)] = 10/3
[-5/3cos3(a)] - [-5/3(1)] = 10/3
[-5/3cos3(a)] +[5/3]
Take 5/3 from both sides.
[-5/3cos3(a)] = 5/3
-5/3cos3(a) = 5/3
cos3(a) = 5/3
÷ -5/3
cos3(a) = -1
Inverse cos (-1) = 180
3(a) = 180
a = 180/3
Convert to radians = pi/3.

This question confused the living daylights out of me, wasnt sure if i was integrating right or not..
Reply 1186
Original post by JM1996
God you remind me so much of myself hahaaa

Da hell did you cope with it :lol:
I also created a thread cause I don't know how to use the site so sorry about that :P My question was: do you think it's normal to fail tests during the course and not get 6/7's throughout? (maybe a couple of 4's or 3's in between) and still get a 6/7 in the end?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
Paper 1 solutions are done. Now going to work on Paper 2.

They are attached. Please link to this post rather than the files themselves as I could edit them later.

Please tell me of any mistakes.

For 24 (a) (i) would it matter if i got AT and TB instead? I think i still got it right since i got the same ratio in part 2
anyone else worried about them bumping up the grade boundaries by quite a bit this year? Its new examiners this year and they would be under pressure to raise it from last year
Original post by tool shed
For 24 (a) (i) would it matter if i got AT and TB instead? I think i still got it right since i got the same ratio in part 2

Thats what i did, and Tbwas like 3/2AT or maybe the other way round?
Original post by tool shed

Yep, there are many combinations that could work and all will give the same ratio at the end.
Reply 1192
Original post by Aay
Da hell did you cope with it :lol:

The maths?
I'm sitting at 63/70 for paper 1 woo, granted if all my working is suffice, and hopefully I maybe might managed to get 1 cheeky mark for 24b) otherwise I'll get a big fat 0/5 :lol: I had the write idea just was going at it wrong :frown:

Original post by GreigM
I got 14 as well!! All of my friends were like ":s-smilie: you're wrong Greig."

Yeah when I was asking about not many people knew what they were doing and couldn't remember their answers so I was sort of left hanging :frown: The reason I didn't think I was wrong is because I thought if we were to use part a, they would of said "HENCE determine..." but they didn't which left me confused.

Original post by Aay
We shall see, its p'n me off, some persons is going about negging me?! Why?

Init I noticed that!!!
Original post by scottishstudent462
anyone else worried about them bumping up the grade boundaries by quite a bit this year? Its new examiners this year and they would be under pressure to raise it from last year

maybe the opposite, i seen that it was the people who wanted the grades increased last year that walked out. leaving the lenient guys to get their way this year, i hope!
Original post by ukdragon37
Paper 1 solutions are done. Now going to work on Paper 2.

They are attached. Please link to this post rather than the files themselves as I could edit them later.

Please tell me of any mistakes.

Will compare my answers with yours later - Tried to "thumb up" but tsr wouldn't let me as I did it too recently :p:@
Reply 1196
Original post by john1234567f
I also created a thread cause I don't know how to use the site so sorry about that :P My question was: do you think it's normal to fail tests during the course and not get 6/7's throughout? (maybe a couple of 4's or 3's in between) and still get a 6/7 in the end?

These are Highers, not IB.
Original post by posterpreviouslyknownascoss:D
Will compare my answers with yours later - Tried to "thumb up" but tsr wouldn't let me as I did it too recently :p:@

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1198
I sat higher maths during S5 last year and that was a screamer of a paper I.e the last question on exponential log graphs. I felt absolutely terrible after the exam genuinely thinking that I'd hopefully scraped a C. But when I got my marks back in August with 5A's I was shocked. When it comes to maths, the right answer in the end may only be 1-2marks but the rest is in the working! Whoever said something about medicine - hold on! I've received an offer from glasgow for medicine! Sometimes certain unis will allow a little slip in the grades if you have a good UKCAT and statement!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by humza100
Thats what i did, and Tbwas like 3/2AT or maybe the other way round?

Yeah i think it was 3TB = 2AT, which was 2:3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending