Death penalty, jail or castration for rapists?

Watch
Poll: How do you think rapists should be punished?
Prison (122)
55.45%
Death Sentence (25)
11.36%
Castration (59)
26.82%
Other (14)
6.36%
This discussion is closed.
Oops. Again.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I just read an article on a girl who was raped and the police are trying to find the rapist. Someone commented that the rapist should be castrated

Assuming that the rapist is male (which tends to be more often than not), how do you think they should be punished?

EDIT: after having read the comments, personally I think first rapists should be put into prison and made to go through a rehabilitating program. There must be some psychological problem behind a sexual attack. If they're fine after this, then no problem.

If, even after this help, they still commit rape crimes, then castration should be considered. If after castration, these rapists still find some way to attack others then I think they're beyond help. Maybe the death penalty should be an option in their case.
Advertisement
WildBerrySpirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Castration and torture.
abisolaay
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think castration then the death sentence but then many people are accused wrongly.
joker12345
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't even believe this is a question. We live in a civilised society, the only answer is prison. We should not resort to torture/murder or what does that make us?
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Jail, no government should have the legitimacy to torture, mutilate or murder people who break the law no matter the crime.
Advertisement
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
screw death penalty...

regarding castration or jail, can an overzealous boyfriend (think its called date rape? dont know) be lumped in with a maniac stranger that drags you into a dark alleyway at night?

generally speaking, the punishment must be proportional to the crime, it must be proportional otherwise youll end up with cases where people want your hands chopped off for simply stealing some bread to feed your kids...

people tend to always go to the extreme end without thinking of how significant these punishments are... i mean look at one of the comments here...castration then death? the hell?

NOTE how i am not defending the rapists, just want to make sure the punishment is proportional to the crime (which is the most appropriate thing to do), bringing your emotions in to this may not exactly be the best (ironically) otherwise you may as well say give the death penalty for every crime that involves a loved one... i say this because i get the feeling people are just going to see the word 'rape' and think "**** YOU, BURN IN HELL YOU PRAT, GIVE HIM THE WORST BULL**** WE CAN THROW AT HIM"... clearly this is overreacting and not rational thinking

also note how i am not trying to make rape look like a small thing -.-
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't know to be honest. The civilized thing to do would be to jail them, but they'll get what? 5 or 6 years max and the rape victim get a lifetime to suffer with their ordeal. I mean, if someone raped my girlfriend the first thing I'd want to do is either kill them or rip their balls out.
Advertisement
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rape is of course a terrible crime, but we shouldn't ever let lust for revenge be the guiding force behind our justice system. What we need to concern ourselves with are the following two questions: to what degree does punishment prevent rape? And how likely are rapists to commit future crimes? Principally, we must protect the public - if they are likely to commit futher crimes then it's our duty to segregate the criminal and prevent those crimes. Similarly, if punishment deters rape, then it's our duty to punish insofar as it prevents future crimes - only this much and no further. Revenge is not a subject seriously discussed by moral people.
alexmagpie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Prison.

I don't believe the death penalty should be used, and while castration might stop them from raping again, rape isn't the result of lust, it's about power and violence. There are other ways to wield power and violence.
Advertisement
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I said other.

Death penalty and castration are not options in my view. Jail works to protect the public to a certain degree, however is not a solution on its own. I'd suggest a combination of imprisonment, rehabilitation as well as study into the causes of sex crime.
Jonathannotjohn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/23/wo...ion/index.html
I believe that the way Germany does it is best, with prison but also voluntary castration in exchange for a shortened sentence. Seems to work as there are low reoffending rates in the volunteers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advertisement
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
regarding jail.... i have no problem with that...
regarding castration... thats iffy, id say its better to talk about the re-offenders first...

(Original post by firez)
I wonder if you would say that if you or lets say your mum, sister or grandmother is raped, I doubt it very much.

Go act like goody two shoes elsewhere, we don;t need your inexperienced comments here
Go act like an emotional tool elsewhere, we don't need your irrational comments here :lolwut:

read my previous posts... bring too much emotion in to this, then what stops you from giving the death sentence for burglary? your justification would be imagine if it happened to your grand mum or something...
Hopple
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If we don't have the death penalty for murder because it's irreversible, then the same goes for rape.

Having said that, if someone went out to kill the rapist or murderer of a family member I wouldn't jump straight to calling them wrong - it's if the state does it that I worry.
Advertisement
joker12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by firez)
x
I 100% would, even if it happened to me. I would most likely want for them to be given a life sentence to ensure that they can't do this again. Why? Because I am a civilised person, an eye for an eye and the whole world is blind.
I'll remain here and act like a decent human being who doesn't wish to torture, mutilate or murder others.
Izzyeviel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wrong question OP.

The real question: What more can we do to prevent rape in the first place?
InnerTemple
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hopple)
If we don't have the death penalty for murder because it's irreversible, then the same goes for rape.

Having said that, if someone went out to kill the rapist or murderer of a family member I wouldn't jump straight to calling them wrong - it's if the state does it that I worry.
So uncontrolled vigilantism is good, but controlled state state sanctioned execution is wrong?

That's a pretty loose set of ethics...
TheUbermensche
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Castration and death penalty can be counted as the same thing. They're both a sickly manifestation of humans' desire for revenge and they're both argued to be deterrents. On the former, the justice system is not something to facilitate that; on the latter, they're not.
Advertisement
firez
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
regarding jail.... i have no problem with that...
regarding castration... thats iffy, id say its better to talk about the re-offenders first...

Go act like an emotional tool elsewhere, we don't need your irrational comments here :lolwut:

read my previous posts... bring too much emotion in to this, then what stops you from giving the death sentence for burglary? your justification would be imagine if it happened to your grand mum or something...
Chopping their manhood off is what is needed unless you want to be the next victim of their rape
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are so many false accusations that jail is the only sensible form of punishment. If they'e later found not guilty, they can be let out of prison but they can't get their balls, or their life back.
joker12345
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by firez)
Chopping their manhood off is what is needed unless you want to be the next victim of their rape
If they're in prison, it's gonna be pretty hard for them to rape, isn't it?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads