The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography - Global Challenges - 14/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I remember quite a few facts for California and Phillipines, but nothing else from the other case studies! A lot of reading from the CGP book tonight I think...
Original post by 06ypicto
Stupid question, but is this a morning or afternoon exam? I've lost my exam schedule thing :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always loose mine too :') It's in the afternoon:smile:
Original post by QPRboy
I remember quite a few facts for California and Phillipines, but nothing else from the other case studies! A lot of reading from the CGP book tonight I think...

Ironically its the other way around for me - I can't remember that Case Studies at all!
Well, the exam is tomorrow and I feel that I'm prepared... ish

I know my case studies and in past papers I find that bullet pointing section A works best for timing and clearly getting the facts accross. I'm finding the most difficult bit is getting those extra marks on the Section A part. If it is a 5 mark question I shall get 4 marks and if it is a 4 mark question I shall get 3.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.
Reply 24
Original post by Octet
Well, the exam is tomorrow and I feel that I'm prepared... ish

I know my case studies and in past papers I find that bullet pointing section A works best for timing and clearly getting the facts accross. I'm finding the most difficult bit is getting those extra marks on the Section A part. If it is a 5 mark question I shall get 4 marks and if it is a 4 mark question I shall get 3.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.

I'd say just make sure you ALWAYS use an example, or some kind of specific detail that backs up what your saying :smile:
Original post by CurlyC
I'd say just make sure you ALWAYS use an example, or some kind of specific detail that backs up what your saying :smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, I've just topped up on my case studies so I should be able to add one to every question.
Reply 26
How did we all find it? From the people I've spoken to they said it was difficult but I found it quite alright, despite some short questions being indirectly related to the syllabus e.g. the processes of the natural greenhouse effect, and why census records were incomplete etc. How did people find these questions?
Original post by Naji45
How did we all find it? From the people I've spoken to they said it was difficult but I found it quite alright, despite some short questions being indirectly related to the syllabus e.g. the processes of the natural greenhouse effect, and why census records were incomplete etc. How did people find these questions?

I thought it was ok to be honest, answered question 10 as it was the one that connected to the stuff I remembered the most. The only questions I failed to complete with confidence were the "Natural greenhouse effect" one and the "Roots" one. Apart from that - it was ayyyyyyyy ok.
Reply 28
Original post by Trust Me I'm Asian
I thought it was ok to be honest, answered question 10 as it was the one that connected to the stuff I remembered the most. The only questions I failed to complete with confidence were the "Natural greenhouse effect" one and the "Roots" one. Apart from that - it was ayyyyyyyy ok.

Which one was the "Roots" one again? And also, with the natural greenhouse effect, was the question "Explain the processes involved in the natural greenhouse effect" or "Explain how the processes involved in the natural greenhouse effect lead to global warming"? Yep I also answered question 10 - was my strength - for the 15 marker did one paragraph on economic benefits and another on social benefits, mainly focusing on the Polish migrants to UK case study. How did your school find it?
Original post by Naji45
Which one was the "Roots" one again? And also, with the natural greenhouse effect, was the question "Explain the processes involved in the natural greenhouse effect" or "Explain how the processes involved in the natural greenhouse effect lead to global warming"? Yep I also answered question 10 - was my strength - for the 15 marker did one paragraph on economic benefits and another on social benefits, mainly focusing on the Polish migrants to UK case study. How did your school find it?

Something to do with finding out about local and national databases to find your population structure or family roots or something. And I'm pretty sure it was "Explain the process involved in the natural greenhouse effect". And yeah, explained the economic benefits such as filling the labour market gaps and them paying taxes etc, then social benefits such as lowering the age dependency ratio and increasing fertility rate from 1.9 to over 2.1 which is replacement level etc?

and yeah, the response seemed to be generally positive apart from a few mishaps and some people flunking the last question due to lack of time.

also what did you get for the political question? the things that help and minimise globalisation or something
The roots one was a cheeky one, it is on the syllabus but there's only a very small amount of it. I ran out of time to answer that and the 3 mark question before it, oops.

Natural greenhouse effect maintains global temperatures, that was on the syllabus too but again, not in much detail. We went over it a lot at GCSE so that was a nice easy one for me.

I went with Q10 for the essays, in Part A I used Switzerland and Luxembourg and said they had small populations so would require more workers, both are in the Schengen zone allowing migration to be easier, low taxes in both countries and that they have high GDP per capita and very high HDI levels, so high economic development would be a major push factor. I probably should've chucked in the 'Costa Living' case study but whatever. For Part B, I used the UK and said migrants from Bulgaria and Romania would take part in SAWS, fill industry gaps (e.g. dentistry), change population structure (more economically active, if they choose to settle here then alter fertility and birth rates and effect of ageing population, as well as cultural diversity which may help to educate population and reduce xenophobia. They would be attracted by high levels of income, employment opportunities and English language which is widely spoken. I briefly mentioned benefits for source nations such as remittance payments, but concluded that host nations gain far more from migration than source nations and that the source nations would result in a brain drain.

A lot of people have said it was a tricky paper though, so we'll just have to wait and see what the grade boundaries are. I'd like an A.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 31
Something to do with finding out about local and national databases to find your population structure or family roots or something. And I'm pretty sure it was "Explain the process involved in the natural greenhouse effect". And yeah, explained the economic benefits such as filling the labour market gaps and them paying taxes etc, then social benefits such as lowering the age dependency ratio and increasing fertility rate from 1.9 to over 2.1 which is replacement level etc?

and yeah, the response seemed to be generally positive apart from a few mishaps and some people flunking the last question due to lack of time.

also what did you get for the political question? the things that help and minimise globalisation or something

Oh for that roots question I said personal data sources was oral histories where relatives give recollections of the population size in the local area at the time, ethnicity etc. That was my only personal source, and then for local sources I did church and parish records that provide records on births, marriages and funerals, allowing us to assess past birth and death rates for example. Another local source was local census data showing us the population size and structure and how it's changed over time. As for the census question about incompleteness and inaccuracies, I said:
1) Some may not wish to disclose their religious beliefs, so either use miscellaneous religions ('Jedi' is a widely used one!) or don't state religion at all.
2) Some may not reveal their ethnicity accurately, e.g. some say White British instead of White Asian.
3) Changes may occur within the 10 year period between Census recordings, e.g. I can say I'm married on the census form but then divorce later in the same year.

Hopefully I could get 3 marks with that! With the essay I forgot to put dependency ratio though that could be seen as equally economic as social? For social I put the idea of more multicultural, tolerant societies where cultures mix to form the cultural 'melting pot', and how education of these migrants to overcome the language barrier is a socio-economic benefit as teaching them the native language means they can better integrate with host country cultures and also gain better access to employment. Hopefully I'll get good marks for this!

It's certainly not the easiest Unit 1 paper that's been around, don't you think? I'm hoping for low grade boundaries again!

Hinder - Political instability likely to discourage investment and prevent economic growth. Government not likely to allocate their resources efficiently.

Help - Strong government are more likely to trade with others, be in a trade bloc etc.

Reply 33
Oh yes, forgot to answer you about that question!

Hinder - Political decisions may have been made to stay switched off and thus not connected, e.g. North Korea restricts/bans its internet access to its citizens so they can't connect with others around the globe using the internet.

Help - Being part of a trade bloc helps countries connect with others, e.g. EU nations benefit from increased flows of migrant labour and thus connect with other countries due to the freedom of movement provided by the Schengen Agreement.
Original post by Naji45
Oh for that roots question I said personal data sources was oral histories where relatives give recollections of the population size in the local area at the time, ethnicity etc. That was my only personal source, and then for local sources I did church and parish records that provide records on births, marriages and funerals, allowing us to assess past birth and death rates for example. Another local source was local census data showing us the population size and structure and how it's changed over time. As for the census question about incompleteness and inaccuracies, I said:
1) Some may not wish to disclose their religious beliefs, so either use miscellaneous religions ('Jedi' is a widely used one!) or don't state religion at all.
2) Some may not reveal their ethnicity accurately, e.g. some say White British instead of White Asian.
3) Changes may occur within the 10 year period between Census recordings, e.g. I can say I'm married on the census form but then divorce later in the same year.

Hopefully I could get 3 marks with that! With the essay I forgot to put dependency ratio though that could be seen as equally economic as social? For social I put the idea of more multicultural, tolerant societies where cultures mix to form the cultural 'melting pot', and how education of these migrants to overcome the language barrier is a socio-economic benefit as teaching them the native language means they can better integrate with host country cultures and also gain better access to employment. Hopefully I'll get good marks for this!

It's certainly not the easiest Unit 1 paper that's been around, don't you think? I'm hoping for low grade boundaries again!

Aha for the census question I wrote down:

1) people may have accidentally wrote down the wrong information.
2) the census is taken every 10 years thus it may be inaccurate at the time of date inspected.
3) I wrote about how people could intentionally write down the wrong information. - I was really stuck by the end of it and was looking for a way to phrase the whole "Jedi" situation ahahaha

Yeah it could be both I reckon, but yeah I mention multi culture-ism. I ended up with around 45 mins on section B so I wrote quite a bit. It was structured quite well too, so I hope I'm getting level 4 on it.
Original post by megantrace
Hinder - Political instability likely to discourage investment and prevent economic growth. Government not likely to allocate their resources efficiently.

Help - Strong government are more likely to trade with others, be in a trade bloc etc.

Original post by Naji45

Hinder - Political decisions may have been made to stay switched off and thus not connected, e.g. North Korea restricts/bans its internet access to its citizens so they can't connect with others around the globe using the internet.

Help - Being part of a trade bloc helps countries connect with others, e.g. EU nations benefit from increased flows of migrant labour and thus connect with other countries due to the freedom of movement provided by the Schengen Agreement.

I ended up writing about the North Korea and political instability and internet bans etc

then talked about the EU for some reason :frown:
i found all the questions good except the natural green house effect so i just wrote about trees burning in bushfires and releasing co2 and cows realeasing methane etc, thought i may aswell have a crack at it, but for the last part i did 2 questions instead of 1!!!!! Because its my retake and in the exam in doing this week we do 2 questions at the end instead of one and i was in that mode!! But oh well they'll still mark them both and take the highest one so as long as i did alright in section A then ill be kind of happy.. :L
Reply 37
So what we thinking on grade boundaries then, and how do you think this paper relates in difficulty to all the past papers we've done?
Will a marks scheme be up any time soon?

And how was question 8? What did anyone here write for it?

Thanks
Original post by Naji45

Ooh, nice answers, didn't think of it as in depth as that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending