The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel Geography - Global Challenges - 14/01/2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by megantrace
I think so long as you said it's low lying and therefore the risk of flooding is higher then you'll be fine, it's better than the mistake some people I know made who accidentally used their California and Philippines case studies here!

Oh no haha! Awkward if they are actually from the Philippines and it was marked wrong :wink: Yeah I said tornadoes with London 2006 and some figures and droughts of 2003 and the Kent earthquake with some random facts, hopefully enough
Original post by medgirl96
Oh no haha! Awkward if they are actually from the Philippines and it was marked wrong :wink: Yeah I said tornadoes with London 2006 and some figures and droughts of 2003 and the Kent earthquake with some random facts, hopefully enough

I know right! Yeah, the tornado in London was right by our school, hit both my primary and my secondary and I witnessed the entire event so it was an easy one for our class to do. Seeing as we studied it I reckon it'll be right though.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 62
It's a lot to revise, but I would suggest you make little revision cards of all the different case studies and just memorise the facts and figures. That way when you're in the exam, you'll find it easy to think of a case study and not have to spend a lot of time on it!
Reply 63
How did everyone do?
Reply 64
I got 120 UMS

So chuffed! :smile:

how about you?
Reply 65
I got 103 UMS, pretty happy considering I messed up the last questions!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I got 101 UMS because I spent too long on the essay questions (did the paper backwards) and missed out on at least 10 marks worth of questions. Might resit at the end of A2 to make up the UMS marks.
Reply 67
well done guys

now its the next module to look forward to :angry:
Original post by amood00
well done guys

now its the next module to look forward to :angry:

If you're decent at case studies and fieldwork then Unit 2 is strangely less stressful.
Reply 69
Original post by megantrace
If you're decent at case studies and fieldwork then Unit 2 is strangely less stressful.

Yeah true its less stress, even the grade boundaries are easier, its just the essays that seem very tedious. 6 in 1hr 15!
Original post by amood00
Yeah true its less stress, even the grade boundaries are easier, its just the essays that seem very tedious. 6 in 1hr 15!

Yeah, that's going to be pretty difficult to do. I'm sure we'll ace them if we put in the work though :smile:
Does anyone happen to have good revision notes because I've searched for hours for some and cant find any what so ever!
Thanks x
Reply 72
Original post by aimee-louise64
Does anyone happen to have good revision notes because I've searched for hours for some and cant find any what so ever!
Thanks x

I can send you some revision notes if you still need it! :smile: Good 2 revision guides written by my geo teacher, useful! :smile:

Revising for this exam like a crazy now as I must get an A, it seems like I know everything just struggling with exam techniques. Does it anyone have any tips for exams techniques? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by amood00
I got 120 UMS

So chuffed! :smile:

how about you?

Hey!
120 is WOW!
i got a B in this exam and want to re-take it to get an A.
do you mind me asking how you revise- i just write notes and attempt past paper qus but clearly thats not working too well- any tips?

thanks!
Original post by muzika
I can send you some revision notes if you still need it! :smile: Good 2 revision guides written by my geo teacher, useful! :smile:

Revising for this exam like a crazy now as I must get an A, it seems like I know everything just struggling with exam techniques. Does it anyone have any tips for exams techniques? :smile:

Do the paper backwards. Begin with the essays and, if you can, aim to hit full marks on them, then do the 5 mark questions, then bullet point the remaining. If you don't finish, the only ones you'll miss out on answering are the 1 mark questions and they're unlikely to have a significant impact on your grade or UMS mark.

In terms of essay technique, I tend to do definition + two well explained reasons with case study reference(s) + conclusion which briefly answers question directly for 10 mark, then the same technique but with three well explained reasons and case study references (multiple definitely needed on 15 mark).

I used the backwards technique and got an A (didn't follow it exactly, wish I had done!) and I got 10/10 and 14/15 on the essay questions.
Original post by badass_geek
Hey!
120 is WOW!
i got a B in this exam and want to re-take it to get an A.
do you mind me asking how you revise- i just write notes and attempt past paper qus but clearly thats not working too well- any tips?

thanks!

Write notes, condense notes, then flashcards maybe?
If you find you are always on your phone, put your key definitions in the notes section and read over when travelling or when you have a spare few minutes. I've used this technique for Unit 2 and it's proven to be really useful, especially as I'm practically glued to my phone.

I've done another post on exam technique in response to someone else, hope it helps!
Original post by muzika

That would be sooo helpful if it isn't a bother please? :smile:
Reply 77
Can i get them please? :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
We did the Unit 2 exam in january as it's tha 'harder' one and tbf i thought it was easy to do but got a D in the actual exam when i was predicted an A/A*, the mark scheme was really picky and most people did badly. They want lots of facts and figures in your answers and the timing is really difficult, i had 2minutes to spare so didnt get to proof read my answers :frown:! Im doing unit 1 soon so any tips? xx
Reply 79
I got a D as well I am in the same position as you! I was predicted a A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending